Building the Tamiya Spit

So, to start with: I'm not after accuracy, I only build and paint for the sheer fun of it. This Spit has been in my stash for a while, waiting for a suitable paint scheme to present itself. Then I saw the Silver Spitfire, and thought now, there's an idea!

Unfortunately I can't find any decals for that machine. Then I came across this one: https://allspitfirepilots.org/aircraft/RN201 Not the same aircraft, I know, it's an FRXIVe, but that I have to live with. I love the paint scheme.

Some pics of the "office" to begin with. I couldn't resist putting in some cables and then some. And some left over decals.

And as usual, you can trust Tamiya to engineer their kits well, and the fit is very godd. The fuselage halves came  together like they had never been apart. I really love that in modelling, not having to work around bad fits.

Stay tuned, I'll be back when this pandemic allows me to have some more fun at my workbench.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

Hi!

Is the kit you're working on the Mk XVIe? If so, you could always do Spitfire TD248. I used to help out on the aircraft back in the 1990s when it was owned by Eddie Coventry. It carried the same colour scheme and actually carried these colours before RN201. Admittedly, it's more authentic on a Griffon engined Spitfire, but Eddie liked the look. Lifelike decals do a 1/32 sheet for TD248 which I have. It's very good and was a must have for me having spent much time around the aircraft.

51059297437_55a56fdcc9_c.jpg

51059297402_64c0665d8d_c.jpg

51059210101_6a72cb4bb4_c.jpg

Steve

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

Hi!

Is the kit you're working on the Mk XVIe? If so, you could always do Spitfire TD248. I used to help out on the aircraft back in the 1990s when it was owned by Eddie Coventry. It carried the same colour scheme and actually carried these colours before RN201. Admittedly, it's more authentic on a Griffon engined Spitfire, but Eddie liked the look. Lifelike decals do a 1/32 sheet for TD248 which I have. It's very good and was a must have for me having spent much time around the aircraft.

51059297437_55a56fdcc9_c.jpg

51059297402_64c0665d8d_c.jpg

51059210101_6a72cb4bb4_c.jpg

Steve

Brilliant, Steve! Must be nice to come so close to a Spit. I've always wanted one in my garden, but well ... And yes, it's the XVIe.

/T

Edited by Torbjörn Hanö
Left one thing out.

• 3 weeks later...

Some more pics. 

I really love Tamiya's Spits. This is the second one I've built, and it just comes together without effort. At times I wonder if you could cut all the parts from the sprues, put them back in the box with a little glue, and give it a shake and all the parts would come together as a finished model.

Primed with Ultimate gloss primer (i just love it!) to the left, and sprayed with Alclad Chrome to the right.

y4mMQMenglsEw2BaN2omvWJCzZNAxbIYfPg44Hv9spacer.png

Masked and ready for the red stripes and roundels.

spacer.png

Getting there.

spacer.png

Ready for a few coats of gloss.

spacer.png

Finished result in a couple of days in ready for inspection.

Stay safe, mates!

• Like 6