Chuffed with doing this!

Hello all,

I am still plodding on with the diorama and much of my time has been spent struggling between the design of the pub and the placing of the tracks.  I have been told about a track laying program, called Templot, which helps me to position the tracks correctly and I am currently learning about this.  I have also worked on dimensioning the pub, by using photo interpretation means, and think I have enough detail to start constructing it.

Here is the layout, with some Templot templates pasted into position; plus, the start of the pub construction can be seen in the top left corner.  Like most of the layout, the pub is being made from balsa wood,  a material I probably last used about 1958!  :clif:

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike

• Like 8

6 hours ago, bootneck said:

much of my time has been spent struggling between the design of the pub

There's a joke to be made about organising things in a pub, but even I'm not that low! I'm loving this, it just oozes cramped cityscape, especially with the cutting walls all around it's going to be wonderfully claustrophobic (I think that's a thing)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent the last week measuring, cutting and laying a few hundred individual sleepers and now I am making up the rails.  The pub is also progressing but it is a complex design and will need more research.

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike

• Like 9

Good to see that this build is progressing and has not been derailed or shunted into a siding.

After attaching 80 or so wooden beams to the Bull Inn I am in awe of anyone with the patience, nimbleness and ability to lay that many sleepers.

Looking forward to more progress on this build.

• Like 1

Thanks Paul,

here is a closer view of the track laying in progress.

spacer.png

I have turned the pub model around to show the work done so far.

spacer.png

There's still lots (and lots) more to do, so I had better get a move on.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 6

This weekend I have been concentrating on some of the other buildings that are situated within the railway setting. 

This is the larger of two water towers that were to be found on the site.  I am using bits from a card model to make up the tower.

spacer.png

I have only been able to find one image that shows the construction of the building and am basing my model on that.

spacer.png

The water tank itself, which sits on top of the building, has not been made yet; however, I couldn't resist a test fit on the layout.  This view is from the opposite direction of the normal views that I have shown so far

spacer.png

more to follow, hopefully soon.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 10

No thanks Pete, mine is complicated enough!

I have been working on adding more track, plus I have started on a scratchbuild of the signal box.

spacer.png

There doesn't appear to be much progress on the layout since my last update; however, I have managed to lay down more track and turnouts.  I give the completed a section a coat of primer, mainly to show how much has been done; or, conversely, how much still needs to be done!

spacer.png

The trackwork is quite complicated for me, especially as I knew nothing about it before I started this build for the GB.  I did invest in this book, which covers virtually all aspects of track laying, turnouts/points and crossovers etc., and I am using it as my guide through this build.

spacer.png

Here is a closer view of the trackwork so far. 

spacer.png

I need to get all this trackwork completed just so that I can move 'upstairs' and get on with the roadways and buildings etc.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 5

The signal box on the cover of your book looks rather familiar - any idea where it is, assuming it is not a model itself?

Pete

The description says "the triangular junction on the Southern approach to Shrewsbury station.  The third side of the triangle is just visible behind the signal box". 

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Mike,

We made a family visit to see relatives in Chester a couple of years back, taking the train from Cardiff  and went past that box - I just could not remember where! The line splits and goes off to the right towards Wellington and Telford I believe, while the left side goes into Shrewsbury and on towards Liverpool and Chester. Usually these were just triangular junctions between a number of lines, but they could also be used for turning locos and even complete trains - I believe in the states they call them "Wyes" and used them quite a bit for that purpose - possibly because they had a lot of single track working with limited infrastructure on some of their rural lines.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 2:35 PM, PeterB said:

The signal box on the cover of your book looks rather familiar

There was a TV series called something like 'the Railways that built Britain' on one of the Sky channels. I think that box was featured in it.

Your scratchbuilt signal box is looking good, Mike, as is the trackwork.

• Like 3

Hussah!!  I have finally completed the trackwork.  :yahoo:

spacer.png

Outline of the signal box in position.

spacer.png

overhead view.

spacer.png

All I need to do, in the next 11 days is:

- complete the tunnels and bridges

- cut out the remaining inspection pits around the turntable

- rebuild and enhance the retaining wall

- construct the second water tower and linesman's huts etc.

- complete the signal box

- construct various signal gantries and water pump stations

- add parapets on top of retaining walls

- complete the Golden Eagle pub model

- build the roads and pavements

- paint and weather all areas.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

You won't get much sleep then? Good luck!

Or watch football, tennis, cricket....

Keep going - you can do it.

• Like 1

Six days to go, I had better get the signal box finished so that I can get on with all the upper levels work!  :frantic:

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 4

Think of the time remaining as 151 hours (as I write) that's plenty of time to get this one finished.  

Just keep up the good work and don't get distracted - I am just using glue drying time to catch up with events in the GB, 

I'm afraid that I am going to admit defeat with this build, there is just too much still to do with it.

More work has been done on the pub/hotel, signal box and roadway

spacer.png

and it is starting to take shape but work at the back was just a bridge too far.  :giggle:

spacer.png

This is the view that I wanted to emulate, it is looking west.

spacer.png

but this is all I have been able to manage.

spacer.png

Another view, looking south, would also have been nice to complete

spacer.png

again, just too much additional detail is required.

spacer.png

I shall take a break then resurrect this build and finish it in the Scratchbuilding forum.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

On 7/11/2021 at 1:37 PM, bootneck said:

I shall take a break then resurrect this build and finish it in the Scratchbuilding forum.

I do not want to loose track of this build to my mind the most ambitious of all the builds in the GB, even beating some of the flying oddities we have had and a card university.

Could you please at least start a thread somewhere that we could follow so we are informed when you end your well earned break?

• Like 2