Samba Skyhawk - ye olde ESCI 1/48 A-4M/N

alt-92

Stash clearance!  

This one is the original 1979 box of the ESCI A-4M Skyhawk. 

It's been sitting in the cupboard now since at least the mid-1980s so high time it gets built!

y4mFuBjnrWRYfTe7VAvPN9T45gWQU0vurWHCY3PS

In the box:

y4m9VCFCOM5aEJ8F7KvD8AvDZHBql-xww7Ejpxry

Nice, silver coloured plastic with raised details :D but not half bad actually - I think there's plenty in there that is perfectly usable. 
Which probably doesn't quite go for the decals, being pretty antique now..  

Seems I did make a start back in the dark ages, as there is a completed cockpit assembly. 

y4mpN8Jwlk-I84fZxcFMApr89MNCeYFm2Xdq4lYX

Waste not, want not :P  Thought about using an aftermarket seat, but that would mean very likely either destroying the already built bits, or hacking that seat - neither option looks wise.

So, let's keep it to the aftermarket decals then.

y4mebRbvXVahFU1bC88qu1DlTmJWiv0fe-mKpGCe

Colour callouts seem to vary a bit. The sheet has different IDs than the TOMs colour set sold in Brazil, or the callout I found elsewhere:

y4msNPhnGkUZUjVX-xVpT-W_tkwbnBTy6InMLKlO

But even then, looks like at least some can be matched by Voodoo grey (which I have) and Ocean grey.

Let's find out if we can get to this..

y4msUMwRHng9m1aHKL-WDbhIqmY1GbzARiAC0ncQ

• Like 5

Another kit which I haven't built of the Skyhawk, though I have seen plenty for sale over the years I have never bought one for some reason.

After sitting in your stash for so long she really does deserve to be built doesn't she, and in what is proving to be a popular scheme too.

Depending on how accurate an AF-1 you want (this is your model and I certainly won't judge you) there are a few things you need to do turn it from an M/N into a KU which is what it was originally. Most of it revolves around removing sensors and panel lines on the nose and slightly re-shaping the very top of the tail, none of it too drastic.

Really looking forward to this as I need to know if I have been wrong to walk past these over the years.

Craig.

• Thanks 1

It might be relatively straightforward, actually. I'll need to add the ILS antennas on the tail anyway. 

Some more pics to convince you (or not) to pick one up:

Cockpit/nose area

y4mW16dmydXYLbLDlAUZcMLKarGdCppkMVO7Fglm

Tail section

y4mJh98iTBqp1q7Shokfu6lecm58BJ-abmm-4Y8C

Upper wing details (raised & recessed)

y4mThQX_PLYgviPHsOjMyx4vNcLoCIFPWVyUc6LR

Bottom wing details

y4mAel9x4OUnTGuoOrw364RNjIqKEREoDJwIgIqH

Slats & gear door details

y4mNWahby8h3N_8t8xv5KiweDUUmxa7_f8oNtXVk

Gear, tanks & pylons

y4mxN5ILPYMEy-IaRHHrUMi9dcHWSfXqEro0UUhK

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Some more pics to convince you (or not) to pick one up:

Well from those pictures I am convinced to not pass one by next time I see one.

Other than removing the sensor under the nose the nose looks pretty good for a KU/AF-1 as it is already missing the panel lines I have had to fill on my Hasegawa M.

• Like 1

Hi.

this one looks rather tasty.

I never understood why ESCI did the fuselage with recessed lines and the wings with raised ones. They did exactly the same on their 1/72 A-4E, which I bought when it was still a new tool. The raised panel lines are very fine, but the logic, or lack thereof, escapes me...

Enjoy!

JR

• Like 2

Nice project. The colours are a bit of a dilemma - I built an AF-1A (aka TA-4KU) last year - can't remember what colours I used except the darkest grey was Ocean Grey and I thought it was a bit dark. Then again, it looks about right for the one in the photo you shared. And in some photos the greys look a bit blue. So go for the colours that look right to you!

• 1 month later...

Assembly has (finally) commenced.

Lots of dry-fitting, fettling, filling and sanding, especially on the nose section and the root leading edges. 
I had to take about half a millimeter off of the inside of the upper winghalves to get a good fit without getting anhedral.

y4mvpcHsFMJ-HNh-ercMz_26Sg5L8dIB2y9c5L6V

No wheels added yet, so she's slightly more nose-up than the end result will be.

y4m4tEecTYungAx-aVy9th6mLuN14EeOOTbahLbs

The undernose sensor bits were chopped off, filled and sanded flush. 
To do: strake antenna under the nose, and the dorsal antenna needs a big fat one, and the top of the tail. 

Centerline pylon is moulded with a 6x MER in one, so that was cut off and filed to leave only the brackets.

y4mhk3QYeeK-0sJtPJRIkMJSI7QQtBqSHTeWkQks

Intake insides sprayed white, then blocked off with sponge - and I had a go at getting a stained exhaust colour I like.

y4mew3UeWxa2l5sfrSzg0czLU1skEEjHRjaSY6gS

Drop tanks sanded and a smidgen of filler, one more go with the plastic putty to do..

y4mVcIYYt9CqF9EYwrmOIGCQCAfzDN88dpuhqcjJ

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

While the hunt for a middle-tone grey continues, here some preparation work for the greys.

Hataka's Atlantic Grey seems to do the trick quite well - some lighter grey mixed for contrasts.

y4mnZiBSqcC26fqTBimJqXiZml6VAvt_aWVv-QgM

Slats that extend!  At least, they did without paint, depends on how that holds up. 

y4mrClJJZ2sOvAsVE-WDxlMFeu7HkBjdV3yj0kCB

As far as I could find out, the antennas on the empennage would work out to 12.8mm by 3.5mm. 
Plasticard shaped to size & rounded off. 

y4muUKHwbC136j53vedpigTCVvkHEzNLWqmzYh02

All the small bits are done, now trying to pin down the 'cloud gray' a bit more. 

• Like 4

That looks really smart, I think the grey you have chosen is spot on and based on that I have no doubt you will find a suitable one for the other shade.

I like idea of the slats being able to move, I think yours will be the only one in the gallery with that feature!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 11:05 PM, modelling minion said:

That looks really smart, I think the grey you have chosen is spot on and based on that I have no doubt you will find a suitable one for the other shade.

I like idea of the slats being able to move, I think yours will be the only one in the gallery with that feature!

Cutting it a bit close, but we're getting there :)
Bits of Ocean gray and thin overcoat with Hataka Atlantic grey:

y4mmtqT-woCw2wOCKX2Eo7i1PSMa2W-ccMppFgoX

Masking the middle-tone is a bit harder but I've found Mr.Colour Barley Grey to be a nice tone. As that is not the same acrylic as Hataka, it needs to be done last so masking, masking and more masking. 

Droptanks and pylons ready for assembly:

y4mYHFXAOhbttIn18FjgmT-0nnToqrdrJ0xA9MuD

• Like 3

ooh.. there's plenty of rough patches around :D

I may have fudged the black nose a bit (too far back, should be relatively small) , so I'll deal with that later.

• Like 1

Calling this one done for the GB.

y4mJ4PR2FXUv0bY6CMz6HYvs6CD7tDQH6HDloeR0

y4m85mJFH_fjLYhGocKL78yw8oU4lCiIkYfIULLT

y4m8liIXns5IGAnPiCIY-1pjzgVOppO_cOWqnWXK

y4meFvu6nBqX965xWQ6Jj0U05y8IU2hp-v1g51e7

Some minor improvements to be added:

- figure out some catapult hooks for inside the LG bays

- modify one of the RWR antennas in the kit to go on the tail (spotted that way too late - doh)

- re-attach the chute holder properly. 

- add some brass gun barrels. Kit only has 30mm Defa's from the IAF scheme. 

• Like 4

Very nice job on this one, you have shown us exactly what id possible with these older kits which are often overlooked.

You have ended up with a fantastic model in a great colour scheme.

Thanks for having taken part in the GB and for producing such a great model from this classic kit.

Very well done.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...