Schlachtflieger! Halberstadt CL.II, Mirage 1/48

Halberstadt CL.II

This is the Schlachtflieger Halberstadt CL.II in 1/48, a Mirage kit with add-ons and a lot of scratch work.

This is one of my models with bigger effort due to decals and the complicated paint job. The kit provide a great level of detail with many parts, but some of them has a bad fit.

Since I was not able to work with the kit decals I cut masks (with Silhouette plotter) and airbrushed most of the markings. There are two variants of decals for the fuselage mottling in the kit, but I followed the recommendation by WNW and airbrushed the fuselage with very low pressure.
The model was painted with primer and metal paints from Alclad, others are MrPaint, Tamiya and Gunze. Wood work and a very light weathering was done with oil paints.

The wing decals are Aviattic, with individual cut rib tapes. This was a lot of work ...
Another used accessories are Gaspatch turnbuckles and airspeed indicator, a Master sets completed the Eduard set for the Parabellum and the Spandau MG.
Airscrew, tail skid and details like the aerial spool for the copper wire are made from real wood. All the struts, undercarriage and tank are metal parts. All connections are enhanced with metal pins.

I spend a huge effort on this project and worked from beginning of January until now on this aircraft.

And no, this is not the WNW kit ;)

uc?export=view&id=1Y_EtuEFUPSEAjTEtSyghy

uc?export=view&id=1ixPWznpMMTnlS7R8uHe6F

uc?export=view&id=1S3_fZLqDZjQkvHMG9rt-Q

uc?export=view&id=1SlqFBXVyS2F8q4rO3Bfnr

uc?export=view&id=1li_OzwVHJ7a0_M0SyRohS

uc?export=view&id=1iljSTKhI3Pm7FeSoZO_9n

uc?export=view&id=1LO1xih8AiVb3JPZAsKxq2

uc?export=view&id=1k8OroWYHobmJLazvHoT4c

uc?export=view&id=1z6TJupyqWzXG_FQgKlQOv

uc?export=view&id=1TKAXYmFL2bYk0WJeXtzX6

uc?export=view&id=1HjxnvyoQvV959kSD6-JoO

uc?export=view&id=1vXpm8zOAWTrfWY6TORefz

uc?export=view&id=1mNkzPwepG9aZTkNQpIDNk

Now I'm curious to here about your opinion!

Cheers,
Frank

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all fro your nice comments! :worthy:

On 3/22/2021 at 12:44 PM, Matt Parvis said:

The struts for the landing gear are particularly impressive.

I have done this on my recent models, after replacing nearly always the struts with metal or wood, depending on original aircraft. It increases the robustness  a lot which is needed for safe transport with car to exhibitions (I hope this pandemic times are over soon!). On this particular model it was even more important due to very filigree kit parts. Some of them was already broken on sprue :shocked:

On 3/22/2021 at 7:53 PM, Zigomar said:

Oh a new WnW"

Ok, the WNW Halberstadt is a nice kit, but the detailing not on that level. :giggle: :coolio:

Cheers,

Frank

Edited by Bughunter

• 1 year later...

On last weekend I visited the Euro Model Expo 2022 in Lingen which is the biggest model exhibition in Germany.

Since it was my first time there, I had full freedom in choosing some of my models for the competition :idea:

This Halberstadt CL.II won a gold medal in the category aircraft in scale 1:48 Master class (there was in each category Beginner, Standard and Master) at the Euro Model Expo contest.
Here together with my other medals and models.

uc?export=view&id=1aYsoyJ1b_6GR1JZ1wFzDf

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 3

Thank you very much!

23 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

think all your detailed work payed off!

Yes, I spend a lot of effort adding more little things, also on the Bristol Fighter.

Fortunately, the refereeing panel also recognised this, as such a decision is potentially a little subjective.

Cheers,

Frank

Thanks. In live view the grain in the real wood looks much better, I think this is lost in picture compression.

I also received feedback from judges that my propellers were painted extremely realistically. That real wood is responsible for the impression was probably beyond imagination in 1/48 :coolio:

Cheers,

Frank