Airfix 1/72 SBD Dauntless

So...I’ve got the SBD on my bench and was using it as a practice kit to hone my scratch building, chipping and weathering skills...

but as I was doing some research to see where the wear and tear would be I realised that his little beauty saw off the IJN so thought it’s worth more respect than being mishandled....

y4mytVlX-Bxf4M8RB5uSDdbdXGZAK1F3wA-uMxIR

Edited by Carlosee1974
Add pics
  • Like 1

Ok so originally I was experimenting with PE parts that I had left over from other kits and I managed to get the cockpit looking like this...

y4m1wF97SGSg895ChzNxTsHUDOhOonOqlJerQExF

The instrument panels were from a Wessex that I had.

I made the radio rack from a PE frame from an Airfix Warrior AFV and added panels from the Italeri Wessex set I had.

The colour is also too dark for a USN aircraft. What I realised is that unlike lots of 1/72 models you can actually a lot of the cockpit.

So I’ve sanded it all back and started again with the Eduard cockpit set for the Hasegawa version - I know it isn’t recommended using a PE set from another version of the model but I’m going for it!!!!

Edited by Carlosee1974
  • Like 2

To start with I pulled the cockpit detail apart and started adding PE parts. 

I cut away the seat and bulkhead and add some plastic card to act as the support for the radio  rack (blu-tacked in place to see if it is in the right place)

y4miH1qLgEFuBD7G7O_-kdboPd-9CgGTSrNsc8jF

Then I cut the flaps off and drilled the holes which are on the dive brakes

y4musI4fpIlU5wbO-RyUVT_VY2j66m1Ng3pL_NWj

Then I started added the PE frames and ribs ready to prime

y4mwvpNqghvEwFGHboe88de8gID9gZJSxZYVYgWh

Edited by Carlosee1974
  • Like 3

Nice work so far :) always good to see older kits getting the love.

Incidentally, if you check out the following topic, you can get the pics to show instead of just the links.

for OneDrive, you can use the 'embed' option like here:

y4miuWMnJkDMqky5gCDjUVXN_EV0tPkw7wwoGdLs

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 10:49 AM, alt-92 said:

Nice work so far :) always good to see older kits getting the love.

Incidentally, if you check out the following topic, you can get the pics to show instead of just the links.

for OneDrive, you can use the 'embed' option like here:

y4miuWMnJkDMqky5gCDjUVXN_EV0tPkw7wwoGdLs

Shipmate thanks for this!!!!!!

• Like 1

Ok...so some more progress......

I’ve primed in green then added aluminium and Vallejo chipping medium and internal grey green.....The marks you can see are the result of sanding back and being a little heavy handed with the airbrush.....I’ve only had the airbrush for 2 months so this is a voyage of discovery. 🙂

y4mgmpFKC5lExlGB44_SXlRpK2NWWzkLOQrwAQFK

Then Vallejo internal grey green - still seems the wrong colour - probably needs to be a bit darker but I’m not brave enough to mix acrylics just yet....

y4m1GgTWev9Vga1D1I9pDBwqEPWUF4pVAuzB796D

I was worried that the airbrushed paint would mean losing some of the detail of the frames and ribs so I turned the pressure down a little....still looks ok.

A little internal chipping on the frames And now ready to start adding the detail of the various panels and switches - trim wheel and tiny leaver:

y4mv76hqOva7K9id9KBWPbAVgXigadBz10HRYwxX

Edited by Carlosee1974
  • Like 1