Hermes at sea with her Swordfish preparing to launch

Dear Friends

The 11,000 t HMS Hermes has the distinction of being the first purpose-built aircraft carrier in the world.  She was laid down in 1918 but had a protracted development that did not see her commissioned until 1924 (The Admiralty wanted to learn from trials with Argus and Eagle).  One of the concepts of the time was to operate float planes which were to be recovered by more or less motoring into the hanger from the stern!  Another throw back from an earlier era was her spotting top to control her 5.5” guns in ship to ship battles. 

ZyEpUKU.jpg

Nevertheless, with the island to the right and her flared and enclosed bow she looks remarkably modern.  A drawback of the small carrier was a relatively small aircraft fuel storage and struggling to accommodate larger modern aircraft.  Nevertheless, in August 1939 she took onboard 814 NAS and her Swordfish and this is how I imagine that her Swordfish might have looked before camouflage took over in the FAA.  Admittedly the ship might have been in home fleet grey by then too, but most of her previous career had been spent in light grey scheme of the Far East.  Her main wartime claim to fame was ironically in an attack by her Swordfish on the Vichy French Battleship Richelieu in July 1940.   Sadly, Hermes was annihilated by practically the entire Japanese dive bomber fleet that had attacked Pearl Harbour when she was spotted fleeing modern day Sri Lanka on 9th April 1942 by a Japanese carrier task force.

uJHtbmN.jpg

This is the excellent 1/700 Flyhawk kit boxed as for 1937 which includes the Swordfish.  Apart from using brass rod for her masts and yards, together with Eduard 1/700 RN and carrier crew members it is practically out of the box.  Rather than decals I used masking for the deck markings.  I used Mig’s oil brusher paint to weather her deck from aircraft landings.

zeUCRyy.jpg

I hope you can see, if you look carefully, A Swordfish with folded wings on the stern hanger deck waiting to go up to the flight deck?

1TYBl33.jpg

aigUNCw.jpg

B72y6yJ.jpg

YenWI9e.jpg

I hope you can spot some seamen populating the 'goofers gallery'

Andrew

• Like 65
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

Andrew,

I'm just getting into ship models. Your model is absolutely beautiful and an inspiration.

I'm interested to know what you've used. Is there a build log anywhere? Specifically, if not, what are the figures? Are they etched, or 3-D printed?

Thanks and congratulations,

Alan

On 4/3/2021 at 4:45 PM, Alpha Juliet said:

WOW!  Would be great if someone could Photoshop one of your photos into being suitably aged!

Super build Andrew - congratulations!!

It's a fantastic example of model making.

Here's hoping that AndrewCJ50 doesn't mind...

01-Hermes.jpg

02-Hermes.jpg

• Like 2

Dear Colleagues

I loved the historic 1930's photo transformation, that was clever!  

The figure sets are pre-painted photo etched figures from Eduard.  They look a bit better if you add a bit of white glue to their heads, otherwise they all look like they are in a Lowry painting!

I wouldn't have minded being in the spotting top provided the ship wasn't rolling or the funnel gases being blown forwards!

Regards

Andrew

Tis is my first visit to the maritime bit, what a build. The detail on those Stringbags is better than I could achieve in 1/72! The 20p piece though...