ICM Model T Roadster

It’s been a little while since I posted a build. It’s very easy to get distracted by life in general, but always nice to open a box & start a new build. 

I quite fancied building a very early car & this fits the bill:

50771851231_6ab91eab97_b.jpg

50771966662_7394a92c8a_b.jpg

lots of parts. Nothing in the way of a main body shell and white rubber tires. I think it will be hard to stay away from painting it all black

• Like 3

The part of any ‘Brass Era’ Model T that draws the eye, of course is the Brassy bits. I quite like the radiator detail, it’s not going to be easy for me to get that looking good. The seam lines were quite prominent, so I had to sand them down

50771104823_c150ec3546_b.jpg

it would have nicer to have a proper radiator cap, but I can live with the ‘knob’ on the top

What will be tricky is getting the engine bay to look like this:

50771104348_073546d972_b.jpg

the ignition leads are very prominent and the spark plugs are huge! This won’t look right if I just drill 0.4mm holes & stick a bit of wire in like I usually do. I’ve tried recreating the plugs with a bit of plasticard, but still don’t think it looks quite right:

50771966672_bd116eb7b0_b.jpg

does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

• Like 3

I think you're not far off with that little bit of plastic for the spark-plugs - a bit of appropriate size plastic rod should do the trick. To my eye, what is making it look 'wrong' is not the plastic strip but where you've joined the cable to it - in the photo the cable joins the end of the spark plug but you've attached it to the middle of the rod. Fix to the end instead, paint the rod as required and you should be pretty close.*

*Disclaimer - I haven't done anything like this myself so this is merely a suggestion based on the photo rather than being the result of any experience.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Spiny said:

I think you're not far off with that little bit of plastic for the spark-plugs - a bit of appropriate size plastic rod should do the trick. To my eye, what is making it look 'wrong' is not the plastic strip but where you've joined the cable to it - in the photo the cable joins the end of the spark plug but you've attached it to the middle of the rod. Fix to the end instead, paint the rod as required and you should be pretty close.*

*Disclaimer - I haven't done anything like this myself so this is merely a suggestion based on the photo rather than being the result of any experience.

Thanks Spiny. It’s not easy glueing these in the right places. I may have to crack open the magnifying glasses to get that right. The plastic ring on the picture is te only one not to break when popping it over the little nobble

6 hours ago, Alan R said:

Thanks Alan. That site is amazing, but I’ve never bought anyth8ng from America before