"A Balanced Diet" - Late War Winter StuG.III - 1/35 Dragon Ausf.G ***FINISHED***

Ray_W

I thought I should show this on a small base so grabbed a picture frame for the job - just a simple snow setting. Looks like a nice hard packed desert setting at the moment ... seriously faded dunkel gelb.

StuG III Construction 79

I drilled the rear deck so it would take a pinned heel. I can then add and remove the guys as need be.

StuG III Construction 83

Very cosy.

StuG III Construction 81

Still a myriad of detail to add and I need to build up the stowage on the rear deck with a tarpaulin for that hooded guy to be lifting. Also, as always, spotted a couple of defects in the photography for correction e.g. the mark on the back of that fur cap. 

StuG III Construction 82

Still a bit to do but getting close to the finish line.

Ray

• Like 7

Thanks Stix @PlaStix and Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle

Yes, it is really coming together now. 

I taped the picture frame edges and sprayed the base Tamiya NATO Brown. I decided to use a new product for me Mr. DioramaCLAY. Saw it on the shelf at the LHS and thought it would make life easier.

StuG III Construction 84

I think it was on the shelf too long and was a little too stiff. Softened it a bit with water and worked it into the base and got the result I wanted. Not easy though.

I found some sticks to represent a tree's shattered remains. Now, I want a spindly bush in the top left corner. 

StuG III Construction 85

I will let the clay dry and then ready for the weekend and onto some soil and snow effects.

StuG III Construction 86

Ray

• Like 6

On 18/04/2021 at 12:55, Ray_W said:

No prizes now for guessing the story behind the title. Translate into your best German - "7.92! It is a wonder there is any of the rabbit left" "I missed and just stunned the poor little blighter. Walked right up and picked him up."

20210418_131844

Everyone is now in a position that I am happy with.  Parts swapped around. Heads, arms, hands, and legs cut and repositioned. Gaps filled with Milliput Fine. A few extra features added.

20210418_132143

20210418_132623

Now the figures are ready for a little sanding, tidy up and wash before painting. Back to the StuG itself.

Ray 

Hello Ray

Because of the many work on my model and Bob`s latest HS theme i only now come to look at your article.
I find everything really very well done and especially I like the theme figure painting 👍
I know many AFV modelers who are "afraid" of the painting and honestly it is not so easy even after 100 books and videos, as it looks with professionals.
For me, figures simply belong to it, they bring a model to life.
Your composition and modification of the figures with Rabbit reminds me a little of Roger Hurkmann's style and just this interaction makes it.
I will also train in the future more and more painting figures, however, I go the Mark Bannerman style with oil paints.
Am curious about your final-all the best!
MD

• Like 3

1 hour ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

Am curious about your final-all the best!

Thanks MD. You have an amazing build underway with your StuIG 33B - a lot of great techniques on display.

I have long way to go to be in Roger Hurkmann's league but the comparison is appreciated. Mark Bannerman's work is also inspiring and I too have played around with oils using his techniques, well short of his superb work yet still satisfying. This time around I wanted to try the Vallejo acrylics and enjoyed the experience immensely. I rarely do figures (and armour for that matter) and now looking forward to the earliest opportunity to give another a go. 

Ray

I used some modelling clay to make some suitable shapes to put under the rear deck tarpaulin.

StuG III Construction 90

I then used a double thickness of shoe box tissue positioned with a diluted PVA/water mix.  I find it easier to work from a side, go part of the way then dry with a hairdryer, on a mild setting, and then do the next portion. In this way it better retains its strength and is less likely to tear. This was done with the empty ammo box, covered rear jerry cans (from the Eureka set) and the guy in their final and permanent position. I will paint the tarp in situ.

StuG III Construction 87

I will now leave this overnight and then time for some finishing paint.

StuG III Construction 89

I did the snow effects while waiting for the modelling clay to cure. I used Tamiya Diorama Texture Paint Snow Effect White. The one with the larger particle size. 

StuG III Construction 88

All going well, the next post should be complete.

Ray

• Like 6

I am calling this one done although I did post a question on StuG III aerial masts on the WW2 thread. I will add the masts for the Gallery images.

StuG III Finished 8

StuG III Finished 4

StuG III Finished 3

StuG III Finished 2

StuG III Finished 5

StuG III Finished 7

And "A Balanced Diet", well at least a change from the usual rations.

StuG III Finished 9

Thanks to the hosts for their quick response and great support throughout the build and the BM community for their appreciation and worthy comments and suggestions.

Gallery images can be found here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235087964-panzer-iii-stgb-gallery/&do=findComment&comment=4089470

See you on the next build - 109's next time around.

Ray

• Like 7

• Ray_W changed the title to "A Balanced Diet" - Late War Winter StuG.III - 1/35 Dragon Ausf.G ***FINISHED***

Hi Ray. Well, what a wonderful result! Fantastic StuG with great weathering,, superb figures - telling a story - and your base presents everything beautifully. I am very impressed all round!! :worthy:

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos in the Gallery.

Thank you for taking part in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Thank you for taking part in this GB.

Thanks Stix for hosting a most enjoyable group build. You certainly set the bar high with your own builds. 

Better light tomorrow so hopefully the final 5 images will come out with a bit more clarity. 

Ray

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Fantastic build Ray, those figures really bring it all to life.

Thanks Ozzy for the great support throughout the build. 

• Like 1