T-33 Underwing Pylons

draggie748

Greetings Fellow Modellers, 

I'm looking for drawings or leads to such drawings of the underwing pylons for the T-33 ECM cannisters that the USAF used. I have searched all my links and print references, but have had no luck.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Canberra - The Nation's Capital

Australia

See if any of the information in the link below is of use. I would imagine the pylon shown in the B-57 walk around would be the same one as was used on a T-33. Do you have a scale in mind? If so, I think one of the 1/48 T-33A kits might have a pair of underwing pylons. From the photos, it appears that USAF A-1E/A-1H Skyraider or F-100 pylons might be the same size. Looks like they would be pretty simple to make from laminations of plasticard.

Mike

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/291913-t-33-intake-color-underwing-ecm-pods/

One thing to note is that the pylons were permanently attached, so they were not uploaded and downloaded or swapped round.  You'll need to find a picture of one with pylons to ensure that airframe actually had them mounted.

Regards,

Murph

Here's a reasonably good view of the pylons used for the ALE-2 chaff pod:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-lockheed-t-33-shooting-star-showing-chaff-dispensers-under-wing-55263958.html

It looks like a simple shape to me. Maybe you can find more photos, so you can do some measurements. For comparison, the ALE-2 is

13' 10.2" long and 19.58" diameter. I scratch-built that ALE-2 chaff pod for another subject.

spacer.png

Rob

Gents,

Thanks for all the replies. I think I now have enough info to graft a couple in 72nd scale for my build.

Murph, the aircraft I am modelling does have them fitted. 😁

Cheers

Phil

Canberra - The Nation's Capital

Australia

21 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-lockheed-t-33-shooting-star-showing-chaff-dispensers-under-wing-55263958.html

It looks like a simple shape to me. Maybe you can find more photos, so you can do some measurements. For comparison, the ALE-2 is

13' 10.2" long and 19.58" diameter. I scratch-built that ALE-2 chaff pod for another subject.

spacer.png

Rob

Rob,

Very nicely done on the ALE-2.  One humorous note on the pod is that there was a seafood store not far from Pease AFB, and the containers they packed their live lobsters in fit inside the ALE-2 chaff tray perfectly.  I'm not sure which was one sized to the other in this case.

Regards,

Murph

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2021 at 2:48 PM, Rob de Bie said:

spacer.png

Rob

What scale did you make the chaff pods Rob?

Andy

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Dayam- those are incredible! You are a steely-eyed mastercaster! 👌

Mike

Thanks for the compliments! You can become a mastercaster too: I just explained my casting techniques in a thread over on the ARC forum. The mould for the ALE-2 pod is shown there too.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/316680-learning-to-cast-resin/

Rob

On 3/23/2021 at 7:20 AM, Murph said:

there was a seafood store not far from Pease AFB, and the containers they packed their live lobsters in fit inside the ALE-2 chaff tray perfectly.

Reminds me of  when we were stationed at Dyess AB, TX  with the 516th TCW flying C-130's in the 60's. When the guys would go TDY to Alaska, they would come back with crates of King crabs, chilled suitably during  the return trip.  Our next door neighbor was the check pilot for the wing and always told his wife "Daddy's comin' home with the crabs! Big buying frenzy on the ramp. Those were the days!

Mike

8 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Thanks for the compliments! You can become a mastercaster too: I just explained my casting techniques in a thread over on the ARC forum. The mould for the ALE-2 pod is shown there too.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/316680-learning-to-cast-resin/

Rob

Good discussion on ARC Rob. Which resin do you use?

I use Sika G27, but yours seems to have more pot time.

Andy

I use Smoothcast 305, its pot life is just perfect for my methods. Here's some data that I collected some time ago:

Type                       potlife          demould    shrinkage

Biresin G27             2 min           15 min      ?
Smooth Cast 300    3 min           10 min      0.5%
Smooth Cast 305    7 min           30 min      0.35%
Smooth Cast 310    15-20 min    2-4hr        0.025%

Rob

I forgot to include G26 and the viscosity numbers, so let me try again:

Type                           potlife            demould     viscosity        shrinkage

Biresin G26                 3-4 min         30 min         70 mPa.s     ?
Biresin G27                 2 min            15 min         30 mPa.s      ?
Smooth Cast 300Q     0,5 min          4-5 min       80 mPa.s     1%
Smooth Cast 300        3 min            10 min         80 mPa.s     0.5%
Smooth Cast 305        7 min            30 min         80 mPa.s     0.35%
Smooth Cast 310        15-20 min    2-4u             80 mPa.s     0.025%

G27 is really thin, which makes casting easier, but the potlife is just too short for me.

Rob

13 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

I use Smoothcast 305, its pot life is just perfect for my methods. Here's some data that I collected some time ago:

Type                       potlife          demould    shrinkage

Biresin G27             2 min           15 min      ?
Smooth Cast 300    3 min           10 min      0.5%
Smooth Cast 305    7 min           30 min      0.35%
Smooth Cast 310    15-20 min    2-4hr        0.025%

Rob

Cheers for the information Rob. I will give that one a go

Andy 

2 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

I forgot to include G26 and the viscosity numbers, so let me try again:

Type                           potlife            demould     viscosity        shrinkage

Biresin G26                 3-4 min         30 min         70 mPa.s     ?
Biresin G27                 2 min            15 min         30 mPa.s      ?
Smooth Cast 300Q     0,5 min          4-5 min       80 mPa.s     1%
Smooth Cast 300        3 min            10 min         80 mPa.s     0.5%
Smooth Cast 305        7 min            30 min         80 mPa.s     0.35%
Smooth Cast 310        15-20 min    2-4u             80 mPa.s     0.025%

G27 is really thin, which makes casting easier, but the potlife is just too short for me.

Rob

Yes, I found it far easier to use than G26

Andy