What have I done wrong with Mig Acrylic Color?

mouse808

Evening all

So I'm trying to get my son into modeling and we're doing really with the F/A-18E (as it mostly clips together), I said I'd help him paint it and I've only got Tamiya acrylics so we went and bought the correct colours from Mig.

So it was really shaken for a few mins and I tried with tamiya thinner and vallejo thinner and no thinner, but it keeps doing this?
I'm spraying around 12psi and have cleaned the surfaces.

Any ideas?

Needless to say he wandered off :(

Thanks

Lee

(that tail is paint mule, but the drop tank is off the model)

IMG_20210320_201948.jpg

IMG_20210320_202020.jpg?raw=true

I don't think Mig works with Tamiya thinner (because Tamiya's stuff is alcohol). Get the Mig thinner if you really need it. I sprayed Mig through my 0.4 nozzle with no real issues, but I can't remember what pressure I was using, but definitely more than what I normally use. 

To me that looks like the surface might be contaminated with skin grease, Tamiya wouldn't be as prone to issues because the thinner has alcohol in it. 

My advice: give the model a good wipe with IPA or some similar stuff, up your air pressure to about 20PSI and do some tests. You can drop the pressure as much as the airbrush will allow you, but first get it working. Make sure there's nothing that could contaminate the Mig paint in your airbrush.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Take a look at This  and this  from 1120,  on both links you can go through their sites, where's there's a lot of very useful information about using not just water based acrylic (Ammo 1st link) but just about every other type of paint (2nd link) and a whole raft of tools etc.   

Ammo is good paint but you've got to know how to use it, from there you learn what it doesn't do so well and what it does do very well.  Personnel I'd go for Tamiya or Aqueous as there far easier to use and give you consistent results.       

Edited by Kev The Modeller

13 hours ago, Kev The Modeller said:

Ammo is good paint but you've got to know how to use it, from there you learn what it doesn't do so well and what it does do very well.  Personnel I'd go for Tamiya or Aqueous as there far easier to use and give you consistent results.

I like Aqueous a lot, and also Tamiya. Both thinned with IPA or X-20A. Vallejo model color works with Ultimate thinner but suffers from a lot of tip dry. Ammo is another struggle for me. What do you recommend for thinning them? UMP works but not exactly great. 

13 minutes ago, Dunderklumpen said:

What do you recommend for thinning them? UMP works but not exactly great. 

I've tried all manner of combinations, IPA, X20a, UMP, AK, etc as you mentioned it doesn't really work.  What does work consistently for me, is Ammo thinner between 50% - 80% depending on the colour and what Im doing with it.  I found it really does vary by colour.  It doesn't like on off (tip dry) and the pressure no more than 17psi and as low as 8 when highly thinned. Light coats is the key to applying them, avoid on off and tip dry is almost eliminated.  I don't use them that much nowadays, mainly armour or aircraft builds and I'm using them until gone but I've no plans to replace.  I've pretty much switched to Tamiya and Mr Hobby both acrylics and lacquers.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kev The Modeller said:

and I'm using them until gone but I've no plans to replace.  I've pretty much switched to Tamiya and Mr Hobby both acrylics and lacquers

This is true for me as well. Not lacquers, though, but Tamiya and Aqueous. Will use Ammo and AK (just as bad) till gone.

9 hours ago, Kev The Modeller said:

What does work consistently for me, is Ammo thinner between 50% - 80% depending on the colour and what Im doing with it. 

Thanks! I will buy a bottle of their brand thinner and try.