Heritage DH88 Comet

Unusually I listed my planned build for 2021 and I looked through the BM Group Builds and 'Anything but Injection' appealed to me to make something different. So whilst the Anzac GB continues, and my two entries are gradually reaching completion, its time to jump into another GB!

So I offer up the Heritage Aviation 1/48 DH88 Comet racer in resin and white metal as a qualifying entry. One of the local modellers recently built the Micromir version and made a great job of it and I know it will take a bit of patience to get the resin version anywhere near to that, but I'm aiming for a nice gloss black G-ACSR 'Black Magic'- registration in gold  decals. Another 1930;s machine, but is there a better era for aviation?

Obligatory pre-start shots this morning:

Kit decals are for G-ACSP but I also bought the Whirlybird decals for G-ACSS just in case I changed my mind - well actually I thought they were 1/72.......

20210320_073633.jpg

No instructions with the kit but its relatively few parts:

20210320_073637.jpg

Aaah the bag of white metal bits - thats why superglue was invented right?? And two canopies predicting the average modeller will screw up the first one.... plus anothe vac form shape x 2 which I presume to be undercarriage doors.....

20210320_073644.jpg

The GB for all will be more of a challenge for all compared to the usual plastic kits but looking forward to it. The Comet is also one of the most elegant aircraft of its time and era and this will be the first one that I will complete. I have 3 1/72 versions in primer that were started by a fellow now departed modeller and completing them will be a tribute to him. 

Also hope to enter another simple resin kit into this GB, but I am reserving judgement and a decision until I've looked in the box again...

As always good luck to all entering and here's to us all completing our chosen model (s)!

JP

• Like 7

Nice one - mine is on the shelf of doom but I hope to get it back on the table this year and finish it alongside the Mikro Mir version. My Heritage version has a quite bended fuselage and other issues I forgot but nothing too serious I remember. :popcorn:

12 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Nice one - mine is on the shelf of doom but I hope to get it back on the table this year and finish it alongside the Mikro Mir version. My Heritage version has a quite bended fuselage and other issues I forgot but nothing too serious I remember. :popcorn:

I think the Mikromir kit is much more sophisticated and plastic of course. Heritage resin is warped here m there but that is expected - will bend back with assistance of hot water!

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 4:08 PM, Jpthedog said:

Another 1930;s machine, but is there a better era for aviation?

Of course not and the Comet is one of finest :winkgrin:!  A great choice.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...