Boeing B-17 F 1/48th scale

This is HK Models' B-17F

It's not a bad kit, the fit in places isn't what I would expect of such a new kit.

Details wise, well interior, is very nice, at an adequate level for what you can see through the windows & openings.

External is engraved panel lines & rivet details. 

Very fine & precise.

Having built both Monogram's G and Revell's F I can say that there are some surface details done better on the older kit, such as the nose compartment waste dump, missing on HK's kit, along with missing formation & bomb release lights, but it is a lovely model with a lot of potential.

I didn't use the kit's decals, but opted for a set by Kits World for a B-17 of the 306th Bomb Group, based at RAF Thurleigh in Bedfordshire.

The nose art for "Meat Hound" caused me some head scratching.

There are B&W photos showing the art work on both sides of the nose, but I couldn't find any references to show it actually on both sides.

The decals only provide the nose art for the starboard side and I wanted to do it on the port side so I had a go at painting the hound's head myself, using only the lettering from the sheet.

Quite happy with the results.

Model was painted with Mr Color acrylics.

Boeing16.jpg

Boeing1.jpg

Boeing4.jpg

Boeing2.jpg

Boeing20.jpg

Boeing22.jpg

Boeing8.jpg

Boeing9.jpg

Boeing11.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Angelo :)

• Like 53
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all very much for all your comments & compliments, they are greatly appreciated.

14 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Salt technique as far as I can tell.

I actually used the Uschi van der Rosten splatter stencils to create the weathing effects.

23 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Which shade of Mr Color paint did you use?

I used their Olive Drab, 361 as a base then faded it with light grey to get a worn and weathered look to it.

Thanks again,

Angelo.

That is a beautiful B-17F and your finish and weathering are very realistic and representative of the real thing. I'm not a 1/48 modeler, per se, but I agree with your comments regarding the finer points of the classic Monogram kit. IIRC, the Monogram kit had props that were more accurate than the ones in the Revell or HK kits. The paddle blade props used on the B-17F/G as well as the B-24D and subsequent had a very distinctive blade profile, which doesn't look quite right on the HK kit props. See the linked photo below that shows the correct shape better than I can describe. One of the factors that seemed to be consistent with Monogram aircraft kits was that they almost always got the props and hubs right. BTW, great job on the LH nose art!

Mike

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Upcoming/Photos/igphoto/2001916998/

• Like 1

Ooooooooooooooo.....!

First thing I thought... 'oooo... someone has already got their hands on this kit' (I only ever wanted to build an F and ditched my G once this was announced) :jealous:😉😜

Second thing I thought... 'oooo... that's a great build, really nice balance of detail and weathering for me'... and has got me chomping at the bit for my own pre-order. 😀

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HL-10 said:

I actually used the Uschi van der Rosten splatter stencils to create the weathing effects.

Angelo, thanks for that bit of info!   I'm assuming that the stencils were used first and then the top finish applied over that?   Or, were the stencils used over the finished paint?   Thanks for any clarification here. 🍻

A lovely rendition of my favourite aircraft - I think I am weakening and this kit will be making its way to my bench at some point... :)

Not a criticism of your build in any way, shape or form, but it appears HK have carried their mistake of too tall main gear legs on the 1/32nd kit over to the 1/48th version - to me it seems like it's standing on tip-toes. Other than that, it looks like a great kit.

Tom

• Like 1

Many thanks again for all your comments :)

58 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

I'm assuming that the stencils were used first and then the top finish applied over that?   Or, were the stencils used over the finished paint?  

A bit of both to be honest.

I pre-shaded the panel lines and used the stencils to apply a splatter of black before I started with the O/D.

I then used the stencils to add various shades of O/D on top.

It was my first time using the stencils so there was a lot of experimenting with them.

• Thanks 1