1/72nd Hasegawa TBF-1 Avenger Target Tug, RNZAF, 1956

Hiya Folks,,....

The RNZAF operated the Avenger as a light bomber during WW2 but post war it retained a small number for target towing based at Ohakea and one was also trialled for dropping chemicals, aimed more at cropdusting and top dressing  than more sinister means. This small number of Avengers eventually settled on a scheme similar to RAF post war target tugs with a silver finish with yellow training bands and yellow and black striped undersides,.... although each one appears to be different to the other in small details such as placing of the black stripes, full or partial serials under the wings, full or partial anti glare panel, black or silver radio mast etc and while some have the nose gun trough in front of the windcreen,..... some dont appear to have this, so maybe it was plated over and TBF-1C cowl gills were used? Some mixing of parts with the later TBF1C`s is apparent as NZ527 has the wing with guns fitted as the bulge on the gun acce door can be seen,..... it was quite common amongst Avenger operators to swap wings round so maybr this was the cae here too?  The  subject of the model, NZ2503 also had a red rudder and here are a few photos featuring NZ2503 which is furthest away in the first view and nearest in the second;

avengers-NZ2527-NZ2504-and-NZ2503.jpg

averger-drog-tow-ohakea-309-1.jpg

And some of the other Avengers;

averger-nz2504-being-towed-ventura.jpgavenger-nz2527-ventura.jpg

After 1957 the RNZAF adopted its own `Fern Leaf' style roundels with the leaf superimposed over the red cente of the roundel,..... and later Avengers also had the yellow fuselage band and the roundel swapped around too. At first the fern leaf was white,...... between 1958-1970 it was changed to silver and then the current Kiwi roundel was adopted;

avenger_tt_colour.jpg

TBF-1_Avenger_NZ2504_1.jpg

TBF-1_Avenger_NZ2504_10.jpg

The subject of this of this model, NZ2503 had a distinctive red rudder but was very shy of cameras and my main reference has come from distant photos,.....it was ditched in Waitemata Harbour off Whenuapai on 17th March 1956 after an engine failure,...with all three occupants safe .. so it only wore the RAF style roundels!

Here is the WIP;

And here is the model;

DSCF0152_NEW.jpg

DSCF0151_NEW.jpg

DSCF0150_NEW.jpg

DSCF0140_NEW.jpg

DSCF0143_NEW.jpg

DSCF0139_NEW.jpg

DSCF0149_NEW.jpg

DSCF0138_NEW.jpg

DSCF0148_NEW.jpg

DSCF0145_NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 71
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, mick b said:

Excellent as ever Tony, does look odd without the turret though 😊

Mike

Thanks Mick,.... yeah it sure does,.... modelling wise it would have been easier if they had retained the turret too! 

29 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent TT Tony, I like that,  great work and an unusual scheme that makes for a great model.

Chris

Cheers Chris,.... it is a scheme I`ve always fancied doing and the GB spurred me on to get on and do it. The only thing is,.... I now want to build two more! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Very nicely done with subtle weathering. I think it looks rather good in that scheme, makes a nice change.

Thanks mate,... I was hoping to make it looked `lived in' but not over knackered! 

13 minutes ago, goggsy said:

That's special, I love a good target tug.

Thanks mate,.... that is very kind of you to say so,.... cheers,

Tony   

• Like 1

That is superb. That worn flat silver dope paint looks just right & the in fill for that rear end is excellently executed. Oh & that canopy looks like it fitted very nicely. Good engineering on that Has kit, I wonder how well the Sword kit was engineered.

Really must do something with my old Hasegawa Avengers, had them so long now.

Martin

• Like 1

The Hasegawa Avenger is a great kit and you’ve made a superb choice of markings.  Well done.  Expert craftsmanship.  

I am starting a 1/48 S2F-U target tow aircraft in JMSDF service.  Hope mine looks 10% as good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

That is superb. That worn flat silver dope paint looks just right & the in fill for that rear end is excellently executed. Oh & that canopy looks like it fitted very nicely. Good engineering on that Has kit, I wonder how well the Sword kit was engineered.

Really must do something with my old Hasegawa Avengers, had them so long now.

Martin

Thanks Martin,..... the plastic card blank for that turret opening is wafer thin now after all of the sanding it received,..... not the easiest contours to cover either. I`m looking forward to the new Sword early Avengers,.... I suppose we`ll have to wait and see,.... the older TBM-3`s don`t seem to have been too bad. 

38 minutes ago, Ad-4N said:

The Hasegawa Avenger is a great kit and you’ve made a superb choice of markings.  Well done.  Expert craftsmanship.  

I am starting a 1/48 S2F-U target tow aircraft in JMSDF service.  Hope mine looks 10% as good.

Thanks mate,..... yes the Hasegawa Avenger is a nice simple but well enginered kit and I`m glad you like what I did with it and chees for saying so,... it is much appreciated.  Good luck with your Tracker,.... I`m sure it will look excellent,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

9 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Simply stunning as always mate that scheme is a little different but it does look great very well done :clap2:

Thanks for sharing

E.

Cheers Eamonn,.... glad you like it,.... the only thing is I`ve found two more that I`d like to do now and that turret blank is a nightmare to do!  

• Like 1

Dayam, Tony- that is one distinctively marked and very well done Avenger! Very subtle and realistic weathering and panel line work on this one- looks like a real airplane and not a plastic model. Conversion work, especially the area around the removed turret, is outstanding, as commented by others. (I'm wondering how many cases of Tamiya rattle can aluminum you still have!) One of the very best Hasegawa Avenger builds I have seen. Way to go! :like: :worthy:

Mike 

Of all the WW2 aircraft types, it has always amazed me how many Avengers soldiered on in various guises with so many nations, compared to other aircraft...Grumman really did build 'em to last!

1 hour ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Look forward to seeing the next pair and learning some more &watching you blank them off too Tony

it's an absolute beauty very well finished as always

E.

Cheers Eamonn,.... I may do one of them in 1/48th!

4 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Dayam, Tony- that is one distinctively marked and very well done Avenger! Very subtle and realistic weathering and panel line work on this one- looks like a real airplane and not a plastic model. Conversion work, especially the area around the removed turret, is outstanding, as commented by others. (I'm wondering how many cases of Tamiya rattle can aluminum you still have!) One of the very best Hasegawa Avenger builds I have seen. Way to go! :like: :worthy:

Mike 

Of all the WW2 aircraft types, it has always amazed me how many Avengers soldiered on in various guises with so many nations, compared to other aircraft...Grumman really did build 'em to last!

Cheers Mike,.... WOW that is very kind of you indeed mate. Yeah they didn`t call Grumman the Iron Works for nothing! 

24 minutes ago, David Womby said:

That looks amazing.  great to see any RNZAF aircraft but that one is really different.

David

Thanks David,..... that is very kind of you. 

3 hours ago, F-32 said:

Love that, very cool and unusual

Cheers mate,..... you know what I`m like for the unusual twists to a well known aeroplane!  

That is a very nicely finished Avenger Tony. I hadn't realised that the Kiwis flew them nor kept them for so long as TT's. 

It's also a great looking scheme. I wonder how the turret removal affected the flight characteristics, particularly the CofG. Maybe ballast was added.

Anyway, very nicely done.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

That is a very nicely finished Avenger Tony. I hadn't realised that the Kiwis flew them nor kept them for so long as TT's. 

It's also a great looking scheme. I wonder how the turret removal affected the flight characteristics, particularly the CofG. Maybe ballast was added.

Anyway, very nicely done.

Cheers Steve,...... maybe the winch gear was mounted below the turret area and kept the  C of G pretty stable? Makes sense to stream the drogues through the ventral `tunnel' gun position?