S&M Models, Bristol Sycamore HR14, 1/72

Continuing with my theme of trying to get everything the RAF has flown since 1950 built in 1/72 scale (tough job I know!), let me introduce my S&M Models, Bristol Sycamore HR14.

Finding photographs hard to come by, I used the kit decals minus the 202 Sqn 'Duck' decals to attempt XJ380 of 275 Sqn, RAF Thornaby circa 1956/57.

Built OOB using Xtracolor X019 RAF Rescue Yellow.

As always, the photographs are poor having been taken on a very old iPad.

image image image image image image image image image

Here it is with a couple of it's newer cousins.

Westland Whirlwind HAR2, XJ763 of 22 Sqn, 'A' Flt, RAF Chivenor, circa 1959.

Westland Sea King HAR3, XZ585 of 202 Sqn, 'D' Flt, RAF Lossiemouth circa 1986.

image image

Maybe attempt the Wessex HAR2 of 22 Sqn and then need to find a Whirlwind HAR10.

• Like 60
  • Thanks 1

Very nice build, a kit I fancy doing myself, but too many kits ant too few years! 

Not bad photos considering you are using an Ipad. If it is anything like the one my mum had it is impossible to get photos on a flat surface apart from about 45 degrees and upwards. 

Great looking Sycamore, well done sir!  The collection of rescue helicopters looks impressive. I like the sound of your ambitious project.  I have a collection of RAF models as well.  How far have you got with your project?

Colin

On 3/20/2021 at 8:15 PM, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Great looking Sycamore, well done sir!  The collection of rescue helicopters looks impressive. I like the sound of your ambitious project.  I have a collection of RAF models as well.  How far have you got with your project?

Colin

At a rough guess I've probably got around 2/3rds of the post 1950 fleet in the stash. Some are just not available where others are only available in resin which are very expensive.

Saying that, I've got the Mach 2 Argosy on the bench along with the Combat Kits BAe146 which I'm going go repaint in the TQF colours from the time of the disbandment when I was there.

Still keep resorting back to another Phantom, Jaguar or Lightning too 🙂

• 2 years later...

Love the Sycamore, yellow trio and idea of collecting all the RAF birds post 50s. I like that theme myself too as British aircraft engineering school was producing quite a lot of very interesting solutions.

23 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I'm really surprised at how big the Sycamore was!  I had no idea.

Yeah. And Westland Dragonfly (aka Sikorsky S-51) was surprisingly even bigger. As I understand the rotor diameter of the era had to be fairly large leading to superlong tail booms while cabin remained very small and cramped not allowing for any significant payload. Just compare rotor diameter of the Sea King. Almost the same while the helicopters are perceived from clearly different classes - "light" versus "medium-heavy".

• Like 1

I love the line up with all 3.I’ve been winched in and out of 2 of them on my time as Mountain rescue but still too young to remember the Sycamore! A great looking build on all 3 kits.

I went the other way and tried to build all I had involvement with in 1/144 scale purely down to available space. Anyone know of a 1/144 Merlin?

Edited by Mark Oddy
Extra detail