Swedish MTB T14

50 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Well underway again, good to see. Once you get stuck into it again things usually move faster than expected. 

Thanks Jeroen. I think it will, but the first half hour of looking back into the project was filled with interesting question marks...

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

I missed this first time around, but glad I've finally caught up. She's looking wonderful!

Ian

Thanks a lot Ian. She's taking shape, every piece to be prapared is a fight, but she's getting there.

The last thing I did yesterday was to shape the thin bracket for the search light with hair dryer heat from almost flat to a reasonably fitting half circle, then gluing the two pieces together and placing them on the tower.

T119.jpg

This morning I painted the towers and their parts in a suitable grey. After some drying time I had a session of fitting all the parts to the towers and the other small deck details I had prepared a year ago. The wires for the steering was made from twisting two 0,1 mm wire strands (pulled from the shield of a fine coaxial cable) with an electric drill.

T120.jpg

T121.jpg

T122.jpg

T123.jpg

T124.jpg

The resin parts for the machine gun were cleaned up and some replacement rods cut to length.

T125.jpg

It was all assembled into this. I have kept the tripod with the first resin base part as a separate part for painting here.

T126.jpg

All painted and installed on the aft deck.

T127.jpg

Then there are the depth charges and their rack. This is all the photo etch and the usable resin parts. Some thin metal wire will be added replacing cast resin.

T128.jpg

Putting that rack together was a challenge. The fit was iffy, there were no real locating points for anything and some cutting and lowering of the left side was needed to make it fit the deck at all. But I got something reasonably convincing together in the end. I have even managed to spray paint on it now.

T129.jpg

• Like 15

The depth charges don't fit very well into the rack, they were partly falling through. To fix that issue I glued them together in a row. That row becomes a little too long for the rack so the release arms/wheels had to be moved slightly.

T130.jpg

The final result is another compromise, but not worse than all other compromises, it's OK.

T131.jpg

The torpedoes and their catapults is the last major project. Again a lot of small resin parts that will need a lot of careful work. Some rods will also be added from Evergreen stock.

T132.jpg

I started with the torpedoes, cleaning up the castings and making them fit the photo etched fins. The propellers have been bent into two contra rotating pairs.

T133.jpg

Assembled and ready for paint they look like this. The tips are kept separate making it easier to pin them for painting.

T134.jpg

• Like 12

This should be all the parts for the torpedo launchers after cleaning up, and a little assembly done too. I have a descent understanding of their function, but it's not terribly clear how they go together.

T135.jpg

The instructions are somewhat limited too. I'll have to make some trials...

T136.jpg

• Like 1

This any help? LINK. The gentleman who built it modified the 1/35 Italeri MAS into a Finnish one with what looks like the same torpedo collar system as your kit.

Mike.

44 minutes ago, Courageous said:

As clear as mud :shrug:. Do you an image of the real thing?

Stuart

Nothing very clear I'm afraid, just hints that can be glimpsed in the few photos of whole boats that exist in Swedish service. These parts were also modified more than once in Sweden as the system had its shortcomings, at least for conditions in our waters.

16 minutes ago, MikeR said:

This any help? LINK. The gentleman who built it modified the 1/35 Italeri MAS into a Finnish one with what looks like the same torpedo collar system as your kit.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. I found that build (very nice) yesterday, but that was a later (eventhough he backdated the Italeri kit) launch system as I understand it, a bulkier design when it comes to the inner sections.

• Like 1

I started with the rails, if I call them that, and made them fit the deck, and then blue tacked them in place to see where things were heading. The torpedoes should have a forward leaning angle, but it was far too steep first, so I had to lower the aft parts a little. Something like this didn't look too far off. Then I glued the round bars connecting the fore and aft rails. The ends of the bars will be trimmed later.

T137.jpg

Work continued trying to make sense of the parts. I made the "sliders" fit the "rails", and then started work on the inner frames. I realized during the afternoon that these parts will never be an exactly accurate replica, just as most of the rest of this build isn't, so I will have to relax a bit and make something plausible up from the parts that looks OK with the torpedoes in their retracted position

T138.jpg

• Like 10

Looks fiddly! But I'm sure you'll get it to look convincing which is the most important. Probably not that many people know how it should really look!

• Thanks 1

I ended up assembling the parts into a unit that represents both the sliders and the parts that are in reality fixed inboard, and a unit that accept the torpedo fairly well. The idea is that I can attach the rails to the deck, then this unit and then the torpedo into that. Hopefully that should give some leave for adjustments so the torpedo angles can be matched to each other.

T139.jpg

Parts ready for a paint session.

T140.jpg

With a bit of imagination and some shades of Alclad applied followed by a little black wash and detail paint I had these torpedos.

T141.jpg

Here are the other parts with a grey base coat and some dry brushing. Tomorrow I'll add a little washing before installing the parts.

T142.jpg

I also added a piece to each side of the main tower.

T143.jpg

Then I added some very basic rigging and antenna wires, all made from thinly stretched black sprue.

T144.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

You are doing a great job with it. I have the same kit and looking at it in the box it seemed like an easy build but you proved me wrong. I'm starting to think that I will get rid of mine. 

I had missed the wooden deck on the boat and I think yours look good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Oh, that rigging and wiring really helps!

It did indeed come to life as soon as that was added.

7 hours ago, Orso said:

You are doing a great job with it. I have the same kit and looking at it in the box it seemed like an easy build but you proved me wrong. I'm starting to think that I will get rid of mine. 

I had missed the wooden deck on the boat and I think yours look good.

Thanks a lot Björn.

It is really a challenging kit, and yet I have left several inaccuracies as they come, one could do more corrections. You really have to like working with resin to enjoy building it. I do like resin, but even so it is pushing me...

After a little more work this morning the torpedo launchers were ready.

T145.jpg

The rails were glued to the deck.

T146.jpg

Then it was time to install the sliders and the torpedoes. It was fiddly to ensure they were equally placed, but it worked out quite well I think, it is as good as it gets.

T147.jpg

T148.jpg

T149.jpg

I had printed the flags as decals, so they would need some backing. I sprayed a piece of kitchen aluminium foil white on both sides.

T150.jpg

Then cut and applied the decal to one side, cut the foil, then applied the decal to the other side.

T151.jpg

When fitted they can be manipulated a little to give them more life.

T152.jpg

The masking on the base was finally removed and the brass poles given a light polish to clean any tape residues. I think this will be it. I have been thinking on some light weathering, like the exhausts and water outlets, but I'm not so sure it would be right to do on a model displayed like this?

T153.jpg

• Like 11