*Abandoned* Malta 1940-1942 pt.2 and Blitz in 2022

vppelt68

On 29/03/2021 at 00:09, AdriaN (MLT) said:

@vppelt68I am maltese and this is an interesting build! pity i dont have any Malta ww2 aircraft. My stash are all malta related... but post war :)

Adrian, isn't this just the push you need to finally build one of those Merlins over Malta :winkgrin:

V-P

• Like 2

On 3/21/2021 at 8:24 AM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, the Malta subject interests me but I'm afraid not a blitzbuild. I'm a rather slow builder and I'd have trouble building a paper aeroplane in that time. So as a ship modeler, not a chance I'm afraid. But a few of the ships of the Pedestal convoy interest me as model subjects - HMS Eagle (from an Airfix 'Warspite' hull) and HMS Ledbury. This was a Hunt class destroyer I believe, and if my memory serves she was one of the ships holding up the tanker Ohio as she arrived at Malta.

Regards, Jeff.

I`ve never thought of using Warspite as a starting point for the Eagle,.... what a good idea! We really need a model of this hard worked war horse.

• Thanks 1

Gidday Tonyot, thanks for your interest. There's a sound reason for the Warspite hull. HMS Eagle was actually started as a battleship for Chile, the Admiral Cochrane, in 1913 so she'd be about the same age. Work on her ceased at the beginning of WW1. In 1917 the ship was purchased from Chile and then redesigned as an aircraft carrier.

The hull is a little bit short, but not by a lot. I could lengthen the hull or maybe just condense everything a little, to keep the appearance balanced. 

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tonyot said:

I`ve never thought of using Warspite as a starting point for the Eagle,.... what a good idea! We really need a model of this hard worked war horse.

May I add you to the list too, Tony? V-P

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 3:07 PM, Ray S said:

If this goes through as a 'full' GB rather than a Blitzbuild, I would be happy to join in too please, as long as a kit I have would qualify.

I have the Niko 1/700 resin kit of the SS Ohio, and as she has been mentioned previously in this thread, I could do this one. Being resin, and lots of bits, it would not be done in the 5 days of a Blitzbuild!

All the best with this getting though,

Ray

Don't forget to add me please!

Cheers, Ray

3 hours ago, Ray S said:

Don't forget to add me please!

Cheers, Ray

Oops and I'm so sorry! I got probably confused back then about the Blitz/proper GB fuss!

The Niko S/S Ohio, :wow:. Viewed the kit pics over the interweb and decided the resin and photo etch skills needed are just too much for me! On the other hand, I really plan to do one of those Ju 88:s that tried to take her down. If I only knew the fuselage code of the one that crashed on her deck, that'd be the one! V-P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Oops and I'm so sorry! I got probably confused back then about the Blitz/proper GB fuss!

The Niko S/S Ohio, :wow:. Viewed the kit pics over the interweb and decided the resin and photo etch skills needed are just too much for me! On the other hand, I really plan to do one of those Ju 88:s that tried to take her down. If I only knew the fuselage code of the one that crashed on her deck, that'd be the one! V-P

No problem! The Ohio will stretch my skills more than somewhat, but I find that Group Builds really help with that. I hope this gets through.

All the best, Ray

• Like 3

6 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

May I add you to the list too, Tony? V-P

Yes mate,.... please do,....always up for a Malta model! 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

a Malta model, I suppose you meant Malta models? :winkgrin:

You know me SOOOOO well! Not for a Blit build mind you,.... I`d prefer a normal GB,.... and have it for Malta without a time frame too,... allowing models from before and after WW2! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I agree with you Tony on the need for a more General Malta theme group build too, but this time let's stick to the 10th Anniversary of the first Malta 1940-42 GB :winkgrin:

I didn`t realise that was the criteria being pushed,..... never mind. 

• vppelt68 changed the title to Malta 1940-1942 pt.2 and Blitz in 2022
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 9:30 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I'd like to highly recommend this book.

No Place For Beginners by our very own @tonyot

https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Place-Beginners-Battle-1940-September/dp/1905414188

There is an interesting passage about the use of toilet paper in air combat.

Thanks for the reminder Enzo, I’ve been looking to get my hands on this for a while now! I’ve just used my vouchers work gave me to buy that and a couple of Spike Milligan books.

looking forward to reading it @tonyot

Rob 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Go on then, sign me up.  You've twisted my arm....

Dunno what the hell I'll build though; Warby's Maryland is on my list but @JOCKNEY has  beaten me to the punch there!

I'm very happy to share, you can show me how to do it properly  !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 4/4/2021 at 11:51 PM, tonyot said:

... allowing models from before and after WW2! 

I quite like this suggestion, so perhaps it may gain traction as a seperate GB but not in the same year as V.P’s 40-42 one. A post-war Vickers Valetta seems to tick all the boxes, even though Vickers left out an ‘L’ when naming it after Malta’s Capital? 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I'm very happy to share, you can show me how to do it properly  !

I don't think I've got much to teach you, sir.  I reckon you'd kick my efforts into the long grass.

Warby and his character really appeal to me and I don't think a Malta GB would be complete without him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Warby and his character really appeal to me and I don't think a Malta GB would be complete without him.

True words spoken here 👍

Gotta say I was pleasantly surprised when we visited London in 2018, we arrived in late hours from the airport at our hotel and I opened the TV, lo and behold the Malta Story (starring sir Obi Wan Kenobi) was just in its first minutes. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1