*Abandoned* Malta 1940-1942 pt.2 and Blitz in 2022

vppelt68

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

True words spoken here 👍

Gotta say I was pleasantly surprised when we visited London in 2018, we arrived in late hours from the airport at our hotel and I opened the TV, lo and behold the Malta Story (starring sir Obi Wan Kenobi) was just in its first minutes. 

Congratulations for good taste to the Hotel concerned.

I'm surprised it wasn't "The great escape " that's on so often even my kids can say the lines, before the actors  !

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Congratulations for good taste to the Hotel concerned.

I'm surprised it wasn't "The great escape " that's on so often even my kids can say the lines, before the actors  !

Reminds me of when we visited my old college town so often that the hotel didn't change their kid's cartoon movie "Over The Hedge" in between, I must have overheard it a dozen times. Not a bad movie either, at least for the first viewing.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2021 at 17:39, vppelt68 said:

Reminds me of when we visited my old college town so often that the hotel didn't change their kid's cartoon movie "Over The Hedge" in between, I must have overheard it a dozen times. Not a bad movie either, at least for the first viewing.

Actually V-P I was thinking of you the other evening when I watched the film "1944 The Final Defense"  which is about the Tali-Ihantala battle in 1944, compulsory History lesson for all school kids I would imagine. 

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Actually V-P I was thinking of you the other evening when I watched the film "1944 The Final Defense"  which is about the Tali-Ihantala battle in 1944, compulsory History lesson for all school kids I would imagine. 

Cheers Pat

Mmm, yes, that movie is quite good as an re-enactment show but utter crap otherwise. Must say those Stug III:s a.k.a. Sturmis were quite convincing though. You ever seen the movie Winter War from 1988 or -89? I'm one of the extras as part of a charging Soviet infantry company, unrecognizable fortunately :rofl:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Mmm, yes, that movie is quite good as an re-enactment show but utter crap otherwise. Must say those Stug III:s a.k.a. Sturmis were quite convincing though. You ever seen the movie Winter War from 1988 or -89? I'm one of the extras as part of a charging Soviet infantry company, unrecognizable fortunately :rofl:

I'll try to find a copy of it on DVD, so you can sign it.

Are you the George Clooney lookalike dressed in brown by any chance ? :wink:

5 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I'll try to find a copy of it on DVD, so you can sign it.

Are you the George Clooney lookalike dressed in brown by any chance ? :wink:

More like mr. Benny Hill!

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2021 at 12:12 PM, Ray S said:

No problem! The Ohio will stretch my skills more than somewhat, but I find that Group Builds really help with that. I hope this gets through.

All the best, Ray

So if it’s a stretch to build the ship I’m guessing you won’t be doing it propped up by two destroyers with a tiny Stuka crashed on the deck then 😃. Love the idea of building Ohio but I’ll definitely be leaving it to others... like you!

Rob

11 hours ago, rob85 said:

So if it’s a stretch to build the ship I’m guessing you won’t be doing it propped up by two destroyers with a tiny Stuka crashed on the deck then 😃. Love the idea of building Ohio but I’ll definitely be leaving it to others... like you!

Rob

11 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

1/700 Stuka and Hunt class destroyers are available, and much easier than a resin Ohio.

Are you two ganging up on me or something 😉 ? By the time I have mangled the photo etch, the Ohio would probably look like it had been through the mill! I have thought in the past about doing the diorama, but I think it will be about enough to build the one in the GB time frame. It is a thought though...

Ray

• Haha 1

Gidday, I've found these last few posts interesting re Ohio and Ledbury. There's a local guy here in Perth that builds model ships in 1/192 scale. SS Ohio is one of his builds, it's very impressive. I have an IBG Hunt ll class kit (HMS Middleton) that might become HMS Ledbury. I have a bit of a soft spot for this ship. If memory serves (hence I may be wrong) during the passage of the Pedestal convoy HMS Ledbury was ordered back to Gibraltar. However the signal mistakenly said Plymouth. Ledbury's captain (I didn't know his name, thanks Graham) wanted to see the convoy through so he took this as an excuse to continue on to Malta, as he didn't have enough fuel to reach Plymouth. 🙂 Whether this is true or not I still think it's a good anecdote. And wasn't Ledbury one of the ships holding up the Ohio on their arrival at Malta?

I am not 'reserving' this build for me. If others want to do it then great, we can compare notes.   Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 20/03/2021 at 12:31, vppelt68 said:

I don't know about you but I regard the battle for Malta as one of the most crucial in the WW2. While the "Malta Blitz" took place over a longer period and in several phases, the summit of the campaign is regarded to be the convoy battle in August 1942, most widely know as Operation Pedestal, though the actual Pedestal was only a part of it.

Wouldn't that be worth noticing in the Britmodeller Group Build community too? What would you fellow group builders and our  moderator @Enzo Matrix think about an extended, single theme "Malta 1942 Blitz" next year? For five summer days (here in the Northern hemisphere, at least) from August 11 to 15, from the day HMS Eagle was torpedoed to the day S/S Ohio entered the Grand Harbour, we could blitzbuild+ :winkgrin: anything but strictly related to Malta in 1942. That would be conveniently over a weekend, from thursday to monday.

I assume this could take place outside the regular GB slots and without the Bunfight, as a variation of the dead and buried buddy build.

EDIT 23.3.2021: Let´s go forward with an aim to have a regular 16 week Malta 1940-1942 Part 2 Group Build and the 5 day Blitzbuild+ within it for those who wish to participate in one. It´s not necessary to do both, so one can also only blitzbuild. Which means we´ll have to get through the Bunfight in November to have this. I better start a list!

How about it? V-P

1. vppelt68
  2. JOCKNEY
  3. Corsairfoxfouruncle
  4. Marklo
  5. ArnoldAmbrose
  6. Valkyrie
  7. Rabbit Leader
  8. Ray S
  9. DaveyGair
  10. bigbadbadge
  11. Mottlemaster
  12. tonyot
  13. TEMPESTMKV
  14. rob85
  15. jackroadkill
  16. ArnoldAmbrose
  17. MattG
  18. Angus Tura
  19. franky boy
  20. ...

I would like to participate to

Alain

On 20/03/2021 at 12:31, vppelt68 said:

I don't know about you but I regard the battle for Malta as one of the most crucial in the WW2. While the "Malta Blitz" took place over a longer period and in several phases, the summit of the campaign is regarded to be the convoy battle in August 1942, most widely know as Operation Pedestal, though the actual Pedestal was only a part of it.

Wouldn't that be worth noticing in the Britmodeller Group Build community too? What would you fellow group builders and our  moderator @Enzo Matrix think about an extended, single theme "Malta 1942 Blitz" next year? For five summer days (here in the Northern hemisphere, at least) from August 11 to 15, from the day HMS Eagle was torpedoed to the day S/S Ohio entered the Grand Harbour, we could blitzbuild+ :winkgrin: anything but strictly related to Malta in 1942. That would be conveniently over a weekend, from thursday to monday.

I assume this could take place outside the regular GB slots and without the Bunfight, as a variation of the dead and buried buddy build.

EDIT 23.3.2021: Let´s go forward with an aim to have a regular 16 week Malta 1940-1942 Part 2 Group Build and the 5 day Blitzbuild+ within it for those who wish to participate in one. It´s not necessary to do both, so one can also only blitzbuild. Which means we´ll have to get through the Bunfight in November to have this. I better start a list!

How about it? V-P

1. vppelt68
  2. JOCKNEY
  3. Corsairfoxfouruncle
  4. Marklo
  5. ArnoldAmbrose
  6. Valkyrie
  7. Rabbit Leader
  8. Ray S
  9. DaveyGair
  10. bigbadbadge
  11. Mottlemaster
  12. tonyot
  13. TEMPESTMKV
  14. rob85
  15. jackroadkill
  16. ArnoldAmbrose
  17. MattG
  18. Angus Tura
  19. franky boy
  20. ...

Look in ready for inspection I have post a few pictures and will post more soon of my "Malta campaign"

Alain

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for your interest, this one did not make it to the Bunfight and I will not continue running this further. Let's say "bye" to this and move towards new and better ideas. We can all virtually "lock" this topic now .

V-P

• Sad 2

• vppelt68 changed the title to *Abandoned* Malta 1940-1942 pt.2 and Blitz in 2022
4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Thanks for your interest, this one did not make it to the Bunfight and I will not continue running this further. Let's say "bye" to this and move towards new and better ideas. We can all virtually "lock" this topic now .

V-P

Ah well, thanks for trying, VP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

V-P

If you are interested, I post nearly once a week a Malta Spitfire in Ready for inspection

Alain

• Like 1