*Abandoned* Malta 1940-1942 pt.2 and Blitz in 2022

vppelt68

I don't know about you but I regard the battle for Malta as one of the most crucial in the WW2. While the "Malta Blitz" took place over a longer period and in several phases, the summit of the campaign is regarded to be the convoy battle in August 1942, most widely know as Operation Pedestal, though the actual Pedestal was only a part of it.

Wouldn't that be worth noticing in the Britmodeller Group Build community too? What would you fellow group builders and our  moderator @Enzo Matrix think about an extended, single theme "Malta 1942 Blitz" next year? For five summer days (here in the Northern hemisphere, at least) from August 11 to 15, from the day HMS Eagle was torpedoed to the day S/S Ohio entered the Grand Harbour, we could blitzbuild+ :winkgrin: anything but strictly related to Malta in 1942. That would be conveniently over a weekend, from thursday to monday.

I assume this could take place outside the regular GB slots and without the Bunfight, as a variation of the dead and buried buddy build.

EDIT 23.3.2021: Let´s go forward with an aim to have a regular 16 week Malta 1940-1942 Part 2 Group Build and the 5 day Blitzbuild+ within it for those who wish to participate in one. It´s not necessary to do both, so one can also only blitzbuild. Which means we´ll have to get through the Bunfight in November to have this. I better start a list!

How about it? V-P

1. vppelt68
  2. JOCKNEY
  3. Corsairfoxfouruncle
  4. Marklo
  5. ArnoldAmbrose
  6. Valkyrie
  7. Rabbit Leader
  8. Ray S
  9. DaveyGair
  10. bigbadbadge
  11. Mottlemaster
  12. tonyot
  13. TEMPESTMKV
  14. rob85
  15. jackroadkill
  16. ArnoldAmbrose
  17. MattG
  18. Angus Tura
  19. franky boy
  20. Ozzy
  21. ...
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• vppelt68 changed the title to Malta Blitz 1942 in 2022
6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi V-P

You just know all the right buttons to push don't you  !

I'm definitely in with a Martin Maryland, the one flown by Adrian Warburton 

Cheers Pat 

That would of course be a Frog Maryland, wouldn't it? I accept the challenge and build another Frog kit, a Ju 88 :coolio:. :cheers: V-P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

That would of course be a Frog Maryland, wouldn't it? I accept the challenge and build another Frog kit, a Ju 88 :coolio:. :cheers: V-P

You know me too well V-P !

Frog also made a Baltimore.... just saying :wink:

Cheers Pat 

We just had a discussion about Baltimores and Marylands in a Finnish military aviation history group - actually I only read it and didn't participate - and it's curious that the Americans themselves never used them!

5 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

We just had a discussion about Baltimores and Marylands in a Finnish military aviation history group - actually I only read it and didn't participate - and it's curious that the Americans themselves never used them!

Bit like the French with my Cauldron 714 from the Heller GB

1 minute ago, JOCKNEY said:

Bit like the French with my Cauldron 714 from the Heller GB

I know - Finland got 6 of them, which were taken out of service almost immediately as they were regarded too dangerous to fly with!

That's shocking, the Polish pilots flew them against the Germans in France with success. 

I suppose if you had a Hurricane or Bf109 instead the poor old Cauldron was never going to win !

Anyway haven't you been building Ju88's since I've meet you, how about something Italian  ?

There Cant be any harm in trying something different.... :coat:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 3

I'd like to highly recommend this book.

No Place For Beginners by our very own @tonyot

https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Place-Beginners-Battle-1940-September/dp/1905414188

There is an interesting passage about the use of toilet paper in air combat.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'd like to highly recommend this book.

No Place For Beginners by our very own @tonyot

https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Place-Beginners-Battle-1940-September/dp/1905414188

There is an interesting passage about the use of toilet paper in air combat.

Thanks Enzo,....... probably not the best endorcement of the book I`ve ever read ,....LOL!

Edited by tonyot
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Enzo,....... probably not the best endorcement of the book I`ve read ,....LOL!

It was very effective though.  :D 

If anyone wants to know what on earth we're on about, you'll have to read the book.  :lol: 

• Haha 4

Gidday, the Malta subject interests me but I'm afraid not a blitzbuild. I'm a rather slow builder and I'd have trouble building a paper aeroplane in that time. So as a ship modeler, not a chance I'm afraid. But a few of the ships of the Pedestal convoy interest me as model subjects - HMS Eagle (from an Airfix 'Warspite' hull) and HMS Ledbury. This was a Hunt class destroyer I believe, and if my memory serves she was one of the ships holding up the tanker Ohio as she arrived at Malta.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 3

:hmmm:

Would it be too much MTO too soon after the wider MTO GB #3 last year to try to make this as a "regular" bunfighted one next year? Britmodeller had a "Malta 1940-42 GB" in 2012, ran by (of course!) @maltadefender.

The subject is very much narrower and thus different than a regular MTO group build, as all the builds should be directly linked with the WW2 siege of the fortress island.

Well if maltadefender doesn't mind me hijacking his former group build proposal, we could go on with this the regular route. Should this GB fail in the Bunfight, we could discuss if the Blitz option would then be the way to go. Pat, Dennis etc. what do you think? V-P

• Like 2

The MTO gives such a wide arena to play with I would definitely be in favour of it, as it will naturally include Malta as well.

I have been promising to build a Syrian Breda 65 so if this GB became an MTO one I could resurrect it !

Cheers Pat 

Me and Jon @thepureness ran the first MTO GB some years ago. Then neither of us had little or nothing to do with #2 and #3 but the group builds were well liked I believe. Now we have Col.'s Africa GB running which gives some (me me me!) another opportunity to model subjects from the southern shores of the Mediterranean. With all these taken or taking place since 2012, I think Malta deserves its dedicated slot among all these other subjects emteeoh. Sorry Pat, but I would not like to propose a general MTO GB #4 yet. Actually, Patrice now runs that franchise

You know what the Luftwaffe thought about Malta? To its bomber crews in the various Kampfgruppen assigned to beat the **** out of the little islands, where @Rabbit Leader's forefathers were among the people taking the pounding, it was one of the four toughest places to go to the war in. LLMM - London, Leningrad, Murmansk and Malta.

Regarding these facts I wrote above, maybe we/I should revert back to the original idea of a Maltese blitzbuild+ anyway. To prevent having too many general group builds around the Med is not such a bad idea after all? On the other hand, it could also be nice to experiment new concepts adding a new one to the tried and tested GB:s and STGB:s.

V-P

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

:hmmm:

Would it be too much MTO too soon after the wider MTO GB #3 last year to try to make this as a "regular" bunfighted one next year? Britmodeller had a "Malta 1940-42 GB" in 2012, ran by (of course!) @maltadefender.

The subject is very much narrower and thus different than a regular MTO group build, as all the builds should be directly linked with the WW2 siege of the fortress island.

Well if maltadefender doesn't mind me hijacking his former group build proposal, we could go on with this the regular route. Should this GB fail in the Bunfight, we could discuss if the Blitz option would then be the way to go. Pat, Dennis etc. what do you think? V-P

I love the idea of a Malta build, and if the 5 day ? time frame works out I will abide by those rules. Personally though Im not a fan of the minimal timeframe idea. The standard blitz builds usually bring small subjects and quick ideas. Malta is very personal to some including myself as you have mentioned and they have connections to the island. Im sure they would love to spend more time on their chosen subjects, rather than rushing them. Either way I hope the build goes through and I can build another Maltese defender of some sort.  

• Like 3

I honestly cant see myself getting anything finished in a blitz build V.P, however would love to be part of something longer should this GB go that way. Now where can I get my hands on a crate load of new Airfix Spitfire Vc’s? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now where can I get my hands on a crate load of new Airfix Spitfire Vc’s? 

Aldi in Australia needs to do what they did about four or five years ago and sell Airfix Starter Kits ultra cheap as one of their “Special Buys”.  At the time it was Gnats, Spitfires, and Cromwells to name a few. 

From (bad) memory I think you can leave Feedback or Suggestions on their Website or ring them up as I did at the time thanking them for that particular “Special Buy” and ask that they repeat it each year.  (Which they only did once but it was only the old sailing ships the second time so that was a big fail!). 

Edited by Rob S

• vppelt68 changed the title to Malta 1940-1942 pt.2 and Blitz in 2022
  • vppelt68 changed the title to Pls read again: Malta 1940-1942 pt.2 and Blitz in 2022

If this goes through as a 'full' GB rather than a Blitzbuild, I would be happy to join in too please, as long as a kit I have would qualify.

I have the Niko 1/700 resin kit of the SS Ohio, and as she has been mentioned previously in this thread, I could do this one. Being resin, and lots of bits, it would not be done in the 5 days of a Blitzbuild!

All the best with this getting though,

Ray