1/48 RA-5C Vigilante Kits

barracuda67

2 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Only the Trumpeter one is available. Try and find the nose correction on eBay (Cutting Edge did it originally - well worth it)

The kit came out in 2005 and is classic early Trumpeter. Big and impressive once built!

Will

Thanks Will

Unfortunately, Cutting Edge sets are very expensive,  if you can find them.

I'd go for the Trumpeter version if you have the choice. There is a fuselage brace out there to help maintaining stability that may be worth it! ( Nautilus models if I remember correctly!)

54 minutes ago, exdraken said:

I'd go for the Trumpeter version if you have the choice. There is a fuselage brace out there to help maintaining stability that may be worth it! ( Nautilus models if I remember correctly!)

Thanks

Unfortunately, the fit on the Trumpeter Kit doesn't seem to be the best. He has a lot of rivets for that.

no definitely not the best, one of their first efforts. and also detail is not always 100%. 

but would you recon the CollectAire one better/ more trouble free in any way?

sorry, that is th eonly ones you've got to choose from!

found it:

http://nautilusmodels.com/48-801.htm

On 3/20/2021 at 6:53 AM, Scimitar F1 said:

Only the Trumpeter one is available. Try and find the nose correction on eBay (Cutting Edge did it originally - well worth it)

The kit came out in 2005 and is classic early Trumpeter. Big and impressive once built!

Will

Don't waste your money on the Cutting Edge Vigilante fuselage correction set. It corrects nothing. I bought all the CE Vigilante sets when the Trumpy Viggie was released. The forward fuselage correction set was the least useful of the sets. It was virtually the same as the kit plastic. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jpk said:

Don't waste your money on the Cutting Edge Vigilante fuselage correction set. It corrects nothing. I bought all the CE Vigilante sets when the Trumpy Viggie was released. The forward fuselage correction set was the least useful of the sets. It was virtually the same as the kit plastic. 

Depends on the buyer - the excessively wide canopy is very noticeable to me

On 3/22/2021 at 9:44 AM, Scimitar F1 said:

Depends on the buyer - the excessively wide canopy is very noticeable to me

Yes, true, however for the now very expensive cost of the OOP resin set, very little if anything is corrected. The contours of the hump on the kit is totally wrong. The resin, in order to mate properly with the incorrect hump, had to keep the overall incorrect lines and contours so the parts would line up. What CE should have done was create a whole new replacement upper fuselage like they did with their A3J-1 conversion set for the early Viggie. It is his money but if it were me I would spend the money on one of the intake sets or some other resin sets.

Not one of CA's better kits either. Mastered before Dimitri started creating their masters. Search the archived posts in both Hyperscale and Cybermodeler as I believe they have build reviews of both kits then choose your poison. Of the two kits though I would choose the Trumpy Viggie with or without the resin aftermarket. 

Edited by jpk