Messerschmitt Bf109E-4/7 Trop

this is my second attempt at this model, the build of the last one being my first attempt at proper model making. the build was fine but the painting became a nightmare, alas it is now a paint mule.

i haven't made up  my mind on the colour scheme just yet, but i think it will be a the plane of lt wulf-dieter widowitz, as found here

http://www.jagdgeschwader5und7.de/oblt-wulf-dieter-widowitz/

having got a masking set.

not tried masks yet so should be interesting!

Jzq8tMD.jpg

EFX1CDG.jpg

v8GBj53.jpg

G6P1bWn.jpg

jj1RfZl.jpg

htGRn7S.jpg

zKInHU8.jpg

ZP4st2P.jpg

i know some of the colours are probably not correct, but its good practice, and good fun.

thanks

ken

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ken the panda said:

i know some of the colours are probably not correct, but its good practice, and good fun.

thanks

ken

There was official color coding for "tubes etc." in German planes, yellow for fuel, blue for oxygen ... it might be worth it to google the color codes and the purpose of the little whatchmacallits in the 109's cockpit.

• Like 2

most of the main parts assembled now so i chose to go the after market markings.

did the blue and some pre shading using tamiya paints.

b1Gb6YO.jpg

nrK0osR.jpg

upper body colours are rlm75 and rlm74. i'm missing a colour for mixing rlm75 with tamiya but i have it in mr colour. never used these before and don't know what i did wrong but it came out pretty badly,

A3jB6hr.jpg

was drying like cobwebs as well! watched a couple of youtube vids and i think i've not used the correct mix and/or been to far away when spraying. also does it need a surfacer?

not totally sure how to continue, have rubbed a lot of the problem areas off and need t have a think about my next step.

thanks for looking

ken

• Like 1

well i managed to rub out most of the spoilt paint work and i am not getting on at all with the mr hobby paints decide to do the helmut wick colour scheme.

not to disappointed with that choice as that was my original one, before aspirations and talent got confused.

od7489Q.jpg

q52hUBu.jpg

y7BgvTc.jpg

now the mixing for the yellow to tackle.

thanks for looking 

ken

• Like 3

Hi Ken, what are you using to thin the mr hobby / mr color? They have an "aqueous" line which behaves like tamiya and can be mixed with them and thinned the same way but they also have a lacquer version which needs something like my color levelling thinner. These are not friends with tamiya even to the point that you have to be really careful cleaning airbrush between using different varieties. I wonder if this is your problem? Hope this help!

P.s. doesn't seem to be too much of a problem,  the model is looking great!

• Like 1

Looking much better now 👍

The first go looks like you may have had some water in the Mr Color mix (they are lacquers, as Samin Cam said) but you've certainly nailed it the second time around!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SaminCam said:

Hi Ken, what are you using to thin the mr hobby / mr color? They have an "aqueous" line which behaves like tamiya and can be mixed with them and thinned the same way but they also have a lacquer version which needs something like my color levelling thinner. These are not friends with tamiya even to the point that you have to be really careful cleaning airbrush between using different varieties. I wonder if this is your problem? Hope this help!

P.s. doesn't seem to be too much of a problem,  the model is looking great!

hi samin, i'm using these,

J7bBkLr.jpg

M26VxWq.jpg

should i be using mr colour levelling thinner instead?

thanks

ken

31 minutes ago, Ken the panda said:

hi samin, i'm using these,

J7bBkLr.jpg

M26VxWq.jpg

should i be using mr colour levelling thinner instead?

thanks

ken

My Japanese isn't great (!) but i think this looks ok, maybe contamination as @Alan P suggests? Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ah, the mottling. 

used an AK mottling stencil and built up four layers, one each of the darker camo green, lighter camo green and blue with a light mist coat over each afterwards and then a final layer of the dark green and a final mist coat to try and blend it a little.

not quite how i envisaged it and probably not one for the purists but i'm actually very happy with it. 

could be blended a bit better, to sharp edged, and some of the mottles are a little bigger than i would think they are meant to be, but as i said for a first effort i'm really pleased.

NfC9rST.jpg

KvmSKSD.jpg

WctRTQl.jpg

NPoLCDX.jpg

TNkuDsg.jpg

7Vjvn7H.jpg

have to say, very poor painting instructions from tamiya on this model. or maybe i'm just not reading them right, but i found them lacking.

thanks for looking.

ken

• Like 2