1/48 FAA Jet Collection - to wing fold, or not?

wellsprop

Hi all, 

I've decided that for my big modelling project this year I will build every jet the Fleet Air Arm operated in a front line role (up to 1982);

Attacker

Sea Hawk

Scimitar

Sea Venom

Sea Vixen

Bucanneer

Phantom

Sea Harrier

The trouble is, my largest shelf is only 1.2m long and that can happily accommodate 8 Spitfires, but all these Navy jet types are significantly larger. 

Im thinking about building them all wings folded to reduce the size, but I don't know if that would ruin the good looks of all the aircraft, what do you think? 

EDIT: I think they will all fit wings unfolded... 

Good looks is a relative thing when thinking about some FAA types - impressive looks maybe, but with the possible exception of the Seahawk, an RN jet is not usually something I would automatically consider as an aesthetic treat.

I have gnerally tended to go for wings extended, but that's just due to laziness and to the infernally cluttered look of many wingfolds, with various hydraulic lines and cylinders, locking pins, stays, and cables needing to be represented in what is often a very narrow space; getting a reasonably accurate wingfold thats strong enough to withstand occasional handling and cleaning isn't always straightforward.  Some kits. like the Airfix quarter-inch scale Buccaneer and the Classic Airframes Seahawk, came with a wingfold option, but the mechanism often tends to be simplified - seeing that this area will be one of the more visible parts of the model (far more so than the cockpit) that might not be altogether a good thing.  

The geomery is crucial  - get it right with both wings at the right angle and the wing tips level with each other and you will be thrilled with the look, but when building from raw materials it's very easy to get it slightly wrong -  after a few goes trying to adjust the angle and position of several microscopic fittings you will probably want to take up Morris dancing instead.  If you really want to do it, it's an ideal  job for the 3D printer, but might I suggest you find away to include a way of adding a short length of piano wire or something similar to add a bit of strength?  

HS_Buccaneer,_Wing_Fold_(4678644637).jpg

Nice project idea!

Just a suggestion, if you like the look of both options, why no folding one wing each?

Or half the jets folded up where the kits provides a nice basis?

( do not fold the on the Sea Harrier ;) )

Edit:  just noted that there are 2 threads here, sorry!

Model them all inflight? In such case you can put them on the stands of different height so you would form up two rows. In addition to that you can put a model on a stand in a tilted, climb up or dive in position which would add dynamic to the model and save space.

11 minutes ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

why not just CAD the entire Fleet Air Arm (how hard can it be?) and downscale them all

to 1:144 scale!   :pray:

Mike

I decided to do a FAA collection of WWII types.  One of each fighter; Skua, Sea Gladiator, Fulmar, Sea Hurricane, Martlet, Seafire, Hellcat, Corsair, Firefly, all in 1/48.

As I got more into it I thought it would be good to do each aircraft as an Ace’s; Cork, Hurricane, Bruen Sea Hurricane (lots of research).

As research increased it turned into an aircraft of each type that the Ace scored a victory in e.g JM Bruen Skua, Fulmar, Sea Hurricane I, Sea Hurricane IIb etc. 

The Collection is currently at 26 complete, 7 in the stash about another 10 to procure and no where near done.  

wings are down, collection sits in about 8 metres of cabinetry and I’m considering how to fit more in.

All I’m saying is you’ll need discipline to keep you collection down to eight, I’m sure there will be some scope creep..

Put your models up on here I for one would love to follow your progress..

On 22/03/2021 at 19:51, ChocolateCrisps said:

We've all seen your 3D Printed Aircraft - why not just CAD the entire Fleet Air Arm (how hard can it be?) and downscale them all slightly so they'll fit on one shelf? :giggle:

Im half way through CAD for a 1/48 Scimitar! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a personal thing this. Wings unfolded for me, you need to see those beautify lines of the wing, even with the ugliest aircraft (and the FAA had a few of those -  albeit with propellers !). I also won't open canopy or bomb bays and rarely put any external loads on my builds.  Great idea for a collection, I had a friend who did similar with anything FAA related from any era back in the 1980's and it looked fantastic.  The Scimitar is my all time favourite looking aircraft, I'd love a injection one in 1/32 scale but feel it will never happen.

I would say it depends on the aircraft but then again, you have a whole gang.. I would not fold, probably. A bunch of them with folded wings.. Looks cool perhaps but they are so beautiful with their wings out too.. Get more space? ;)