1/48 FAA Jet Collection - to wing fold, or not?

wellsprop

Hi all, 

I've decided that for my big modelling project this year I will build every jet the Fleet Air Arm operated in a front line role (up to 1982);

Attacker

Sea Hawk

Scimitar

Sea Venom

Sea Vixen

Bucanneer

Phantom

Sea Harrier

The trouble is, my largest shelf is only 1.2m long and that can happily accommodate 8 Spitfires, but all these Navy jet types are significantly larger. 

Im thinking about building them all wings folded to reduce the size, but I don't know if that would ruin the good looks of all the aircraft, what do you think? 

41 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Wings folded is interesting esp in a diorama but it does spoil the lines of a sleek type. 

Of course the sensible answer is do one of each. You know you want to :wicked:

Yes, I think i don't need a lot of persuading that, as interesting as wings folded does look, it does just ruin the looks of an aircraft.

To some extent, so does undercarriage down, but there's not much that can be done about that unless all models are done in-flight. 

A SHar can't fold, so that's out :P

But the Bucc might be an easier one.. you could do them alternating, depending on what's available for wing folds.

Mix it up a bit with one or two in-flight ones, that would save some space on the shelf. One of the reasons I try and snap up stands if they're in stock somewhere.

6 hours ago, JohnT said:

Of course the sensible answer is do one of each. You know you want to :wicked:

The modeller's answer should really be: build two of each, one example with folded wings the other with wings spread .......

On a more pragmatic note I'd suggest a variety: some examples would have more visual interest folded, for instance the Sea Vixen and the Bucc whilst others will look more elegant wings spread.