Phantom FGR.2 centreline pylons

Blacktjet

12 hours ago, canberra kid said:

ll6IMG.jpg

ll6mez.jpg

ll6prc.jpg

John

There's little visible difference between the US TER and the CBTE, it's just down to the stores adapter.

A question for 'Plumbers' -

Publicity photos show three SNEBS on the inner wing pylon mounted CBTE but most photos of the SNEB in use show only two, was this standard practice and was there any reason why sometimes they are fitted side by side or one below the other? - same for the other stores carried.

Finally, could three BL755s be carried on either of the wing pylons?

8 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Yes, the Aero 27A was fitted in a cavity between the 2 engines. The carriage hooks were then flush with the lower skin of the fuselage.

I've got some diagrams here from my Phantom weapons Q course to add to John's (canberra kid) library.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rob.

Last 2 questions (probably). Was this a standard piece of kit across all nations or UK only and was it a semi-permanent fit - maybe only being removed for servicing for example?

22 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Having been a plumber who worked on Phantom FGR 2's I can tell you that " Plumber " was indeed the nickname for armourers. I think it stems from WW II when armourers were responsible for the hydraulics, etc. on aircraft gun turrets, so would look after the " Plunbing " as it were. :cheers:

I believe its earlier than that, stemming from fixing the pipework used on the CC interrupter gear in WW1.

Selwyn

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Selwyn said:

I believe its earlier than that, stemming from fixing the pipework used on the CC interrupter gear in WW1.

Selwyn

I thought it was because you could always find the plumbers congregated around the tea urn? 🤣

Duncan B

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

I thought it was because you could always find the plumbers congregated around the tea urn? 🤣

Duncan B

Only if its a leaky tea urn. You have to empty it quick to ensure minimum fluid loss!

Selwyn

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/22/2021 at 8:36 AM, Duncan B said:

Duncan B (always left standing in the rain waiting on the Plumbers!)

Saw three Fairies out in the rain one evening having a look at an F.3 Radar , got the photo somewhere as the Chief Tech that was with us remarked on how rare and unusual occurrence it was.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Last 2 questions (probably). Was this a standard piece of kit across all nations or UK only and was it a semi-permanent fit - maybe only being removed for servicing for example?

Yes, the Aero 27A was standard for all Phantoms and was a permanent fit. They had a 250 hour servicing cycle in line with the aircraft, so were removed for servicing when the aircraft went into ASF (Aircraft Servicing Flight) for scheduled maintenance. The only time I ever saw Phantoms fly without the Aero 27A was ferry flights to and from St Athan for major servicing.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Blacktjet said:

A question for 'Plumbers' -

Publicity photos show three SNEBS on the inner wing pylon mounted CBTE but most photos of the SNEB in use show only two, was this standard practice and was there any reason why sometimes they are fitted side by side or one below the other? - same for the other stores carried.

Finally, could three BL755s be carried on either of the wing pylons?

I only worked on them during the air defence years, so don't know the full or correct answers. We need the input of @Starfighter for his experience with mud moving Phantoms.

I don't know if there was a ground clearance issue with the lower eru on the inboard pylon load. Also any bomb on the inner eru of the outboard pylon may have been in the way of the main undercarriage leg.

8 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

I only worked on them during the air defence years, so don't know the full or correct answers. We need the input of @Starfighter for his experience with mud moving Phantoms.

I don't know if there was a ground clearance issue with the lower eru on the inboard pylon load. Also any bomb on the inner eru of the outboard pylon may have been in the way of the main undercarriage leg.

Ah yes, I should have considered the clearance issue on the board pylons. That explains the positioning of stores on that station.

From what I remember ( it WAS a long time ago ! )  our FGR 2's would normally carry  one Sneb pod on the inboard pylon, with a CBLS  on the other side.  Occasionally they would carry practice 1.000 lb. bombs for dropping on the range, but only  a couple of times a year . . . dropping small practice bombs was a lot cheaper ! 

2 hours ago, Starfighter said:

From what I remember ( it WAS a long time ago ! )  our FGR 2's would normally carry  one Sneb pod on the inboard pylon, with a CBLS  on the other side.  Occasionally they would carry practice 1.000 lb. bombs for dropping on the range, but only  a couple of times a year . . . dropping small practice bombs was a lot cheaper ! 

I've seen a picture of 2 x SNEBS on one pyon and a CBLS on the other, plus the strike camera in the port forward recess and a balance in the other. Would SNEBs have ever been used in a close support roll for real? I can remember a Jag pilot saying that he could do more damage with a 3lb practice bomb!

On 3/24/2021 at 3:23 PM, Blacktjet said:

I've seen a picture of 2 x SNEBS on one pyon and a CBLS on the other, plus the strike camera in the port forward recess and a balance in the other. Would SNEBs have ever been used in a close support roll for real? I can remember a Jag pilot saying that he could do more damage with a 3lb practice bomb!

I think you're right about the two rocket pods, though we mostly carried one at a time, with . as you say a CBLS and strike camera pod  on station 4 and a ballast Sparrow in station 6.  Os course if on QRA duty they would carry Live Sparrows in stations 4 and 6, with a " bucket of instant sunshine " on the centreline.  Also, the only time they had the centreline tank fitted was when going on detachment  ( ie : Decimomannu, Akrotiri, etc. ).  Mostly though the centreline had a SUU 23 gun pod fitted. HTH :cheers:

• Like 1