Phantom FGR.2 centreline pylons

Blacktjet

Anyone know which pylon was used to attach a TER to the centerline station on strike FGR.2s - was it the pylon for the SUU gun pod?

I've seen the publicity shot of XV499 with BL755s on the centre station but the pylon is hidden.

Edited by Blacktjet
Correction

6 hours ago, Blacktjet said:

Anyone know which pylon was used to attach a TER to the centerline station on strike FGR.2s - was it the pylon for the SUU gun pod?

I've seen the publicity shot of XV499 with BL755s on the centre station but the pylon is hidden.

Not sure what a TER is but does this help?

la1yaJ.jpg

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Black Knight said:

TER = Triple Ejection Rack, a set up with three mounting points, bottom and each side

Not used in the RAF, I'm sure a 'plumber' will be along shortly to explain the difference between a US TER and the UK CBTE but it was more than just the name if I remember correctly.

Duncan B

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Not used in the RAF, I'm sure a 'plumber' will be along shortly to explain the difference between a US TER and the UK CBTE but it was more than just the name if I remember correctly.

Duncan B

I was aware that the RAF used a different carrier but I think its just the part that couples the store to the rack, the main bulk of the rack looks the same as the BRU-42. I'm fitting 3 BL755s to the rack so the parts in question will be hidden anyway

• Like 1

There's a picture in Dick Ward's book of a NASU F-4K with a CBTE with 3 bombs attached on the porter outer wing pylon.

Was the centre line fuel tank and/or the EMI recce pod attached via the CLMWA pylon or did they have their own dedicated fixings?

41 minutes ago, Blacktjet said:

I was aware that the RAF used a different carrier but I think its just the part that couples the store to the rack, the main bulk of the rack looks the same as the BRU-42. I'm fitting 3 BL755s to the rack so the parts in question will be hidden anyway

I think you're right but I'm sure a tame Armourer will come along eventually (just like in real life) and fill in the details for us lol.

Duncan B

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2021 at 9:16 AM, Blacktjet said:

The RAF F4 never carried the US TER. It carried the  Carrier Bomb Tripe Ejector, (CBTE) a different Item, That was optimised to carry Uk 1000lb stores.

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Selwyn said:

The RAF F4 never carried the US TER. It carried the  Carrier Bomb Tripe Ejector, (CBTE) a different Item, That was optimised to carry Uk 1000lb stores.

Selwyn

In 1/48 scale, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference, just need to make sure there's the correct gap between the stores.

2 minutes ago, Blacktjet said:

In 1/48 scale, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference, just need to make sure there's the correct gap between the stores.

I disagree. I would say that the angles between the stores would be more noticable in 1/48.

Selwyn

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Was the centre line fuel tank and/or the EMI recce pod attached via the CLMWA pylon or did they have their own dedicated fixings?

Due to the size of both those stores, they had suspension lugs and fitted straight onto the Aero 27A bomb rack, (ERU). There was a fairing along the top that fitted flush with the fuselage.

Rob.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Selwyn

See , told you a plumber would turn up eventually (I wonder if a Leccie will appear too🤣).

Duncan B (always left standing in the rain waiting on the Plumbers!)

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

See , told you a plumber would turn up eventually (I wonder if a Leccie will appear too🤣).

Duncan B (always left standing in the rain waiting on the Plumbers!)

Yes but didn't answer the original question (I think)  - not sure if that's a particular trait for plumbers/armourers!

Aren't plumbers engines? I would have thought armoures would deal with stores and the fitting of. That said, the RAF decided air radar techs should look after the recce cameras - despite there being a dedicated trade!

Edited by Blacktjet
  • Like 1

Having been a plumber who worked on Phantom FGR 2's I can tell you that " Plumber " was indeed the nickname for armourers. I think it stems from WW II when armourers were responsible for the hydraulics, etc. on aircraft gun turrets, so would look after the " Plunbing " as it were. :cheers:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blacktjet said:

Yes but didn't answer the original question (I think)  - not sure if that's a particular trait for plumbers/armourers!

Aren't plumbers engines? I would have thought armoures would deal with stores and the fitting of. That said, the RAF decided air radar techs should look after the recce cameras - despite there being a dedicated trade!

As @Starfighter says, "Plumbers" are Armourers, Engines are "Sooties", Airframes are "Riggers", collectively known as heavies to the Fairies, who were the dust coat wearing electronics types. Airframes and Engines (as I was) were Split-brains, not sure if this one is still in regular use since the proper Apprenticeship scheme disappeared. Each discipline had their own nicknames right down to the shiny a@£$€$ that sat in Station HQ filling out forms in triplicate all day lol.

Duncan B

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2021 at 3:26 PM, Selwyn said:

I disagree. I would say that the angles between the stores would be more noticable in 1/48.

Selwyn

You are correct, fitting BL755s to a US TER requires the side mounted stores to be fitted at a different angle. Unfortunately, I don't know of any CBTEs available in 1/48 so its modified US TERs or nothing.

17 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Due to the size of both those stores, they had suspension lugs and fitted straight onto the Aero 27A bomb rack, (ERU). There was a fairing along the top that fitted flush with the fuselage.

Rob.

Phanks Rob does that mean the Aero27A was an internal mounting point? 

I'm going to have to crawl under XV474 at Duxford to make sense of this one; once we get back to being able to volunteer.

(yes, I am that person who takes something apart, reassembles it and has a few bits left over!)

7 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Phanks Rob does that mean the Aero27A was an internal mounting point? 

Yes, the Aero 27A was fitted in a cavity between the 2 engines. The carriage hooks were then flush with the lower skin of the fuselage.

I've got some diagrams here from my Phantom weapons Q course to add to John's (canberra kid) library.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rob.

• Thanks 1