Revell CL-13b Mk.6 Sabre ( F-86F-40 ) Jagdgeschwader 71 ,, Richthofen,, Ahlhorn 1962, 1/48

Hi friends

My fingers are itchy for another F-86 Sabre. I want build a Revell/ Hasegawa Canadair CL-13B Mk.6 Sabre in camouflage scheme of the 2./Jagdgeschwader 71 ,,Richthofen,, stationed in Ahlhorn near to Oldenburg 1962.

But first i want ask the Sabre experts here. Can i build this model out of the box, except the aftermarket stuff as what i show here on the pictures? Or do i have to improve something more?

Is the Aftermarket material shown right for a german version?

Thanks

20210320_093703gzjwb.jpg

20210320_093736dzjnl.jpg

20210320_093746jgklb.jpg

20210320_0938007vjl4.jpg

• Like 7

The kit is an F-86F, not a CL-13. There are some differences in panel lines (although I do not have the details at hand), and the CL-13 does not have the "plate" on top of the fuselage in front of the fin. Otherwise it is a very nice kit.

Nils

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Callahan said:

Ok, it seems nobody can or want answer my questions, i think there is small interest for this plane

so i wll end up before it starts........

I'm intertested, but I can't answer your questions. In case nobody knows better: Just do it.

Panel lines? Panel lines, panel lines ... it's just panel lines. Build JA-111 in NMF with R-coat of arms and put sidewinders under the wings!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's some articles that should help ...

Canadair Sabre 1/48 - IPMS Canada

https://www.ipmscanada.com/2003/09/19/rcaf-sabre-interior-colours/

https://www.ipmscanada.com/2002/10/08/rcaf-sabre-mk-4-1-48/

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p86_22.html

... and some info on the Sabre 6 (note - the Sabre 6 had a scoop on the aft fuselage that is usually not included in the kits)

F-86F%20Sabre%20Mk_6%20Sugar%20scoop%20War%20Eagles%20Feb%2009%202

F-86F%20Sabre%20Mk_6%20Sugar%20scoop%20War%20Eagles%20Feb%2009%201

ams_32008_p

CS3 Startup Document

It looks like an F-86F-40 is NOT a Sabre 6, contrary to what Revell says ...

f-40

sabre6

hope some of this  helps,

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

@Vingtor thank you, but im not a rivet counter, coz i cannot imagine that someone will advise me on a exhibition that a panelline is 0,456mm to far rightward.

@Jochen Barett well, the NMF Sabre in german Luftwaffe never carried the sidewinder, only later when they got a camouflage scheme they got it. And the personally aircraft from Erich Hartmann the JA-111 ( triple One ) i have already in 1:32

20210323_174015c8jqd.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Callahan said:

Thank you so much for all the great informations

If your Revell kit indeed has the F-40 wing, using the diagrams posted above as a guide, you can just remove the 12-inch extension outboard of the ailerons by cutting along the two panel lines that mark the extended section; re-attach the wingtip, and scribe the aileron line all the way out to the edge of the tip and that should give you a proper Sabre 6 wing, which was basically a 6-3 wing with the slats reinstated.. Then just add the scoops as posted by Tail-Dragon. Unless @Sabrejet is one of the contest judges, I wouldn't sweat the difference in panel lines between the kit and a real Sabre 6. :giggle:

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

+++

@Jochen Barett well, the NMF Sabre in german Luftwaffe never carried the sidewinder, only later when they got a camouflage scheme they got it. And the personally aircraft from Erich Hartmann the JA-111 ( triple One ) i have already in 1:32

I know, it was just trying to say "build it!". I'd even have to search for a JA-111 in NMF picture with the Richthofen-"R" (it looks good, but it is easier to find pics without it).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happy easter friends

I have changed my mind and will now start the construction report after all

So, as always i have started with the cockpit, which comes from AIRES

dscf593787ksx.jpg

dscf5938mskj4.jpg

after assemble it get a primer of Mr. Black Surfacer 1500, i then add some layers of XF-53

Edited by Harry Callahan
  • Like 2

Hi friends

In Germany is still easter monday, so no work.

I used the time to assemble the wings, and improve them, i cut the extentions and add the seperate wing tips, but it need filler and more sanding to a correcting the shape.

dscf593968k30.jpg

dscf5940hsjld.jpg

dscf5942q9jea.jpg

till then

• Like 5

Hi friends

a little update., i dont have much time for modelling the last days.

dscf59750mjrw.jpg

air intake with wheel well

dscf5976cljy1.jpg

dscf5977yqk3u.jpg

exhaust

dscf5978dsknx.jpg

dscf5981bxksa.jpg

this version has no this square air intake, so i have to remove it and fill it

dscf5982ytk4a.jpg

the plate in front of the rudder must be removed

dscf5983uhkl5.jpg

• Like 4

Thats a nice project and your progress look great so far.

I have this kit in my stash for years and i will follow your build with interest.:popcorn:

Cheers

Bernd

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi friends

since i have to make some commission works, i dont have much time for the Sabre, but here is a little update

The AIRES cockpit include the YAHU instrument panel is done and i like it how it looks.

Also the housing of the speed brakes get a detail painting and a weathering with oils and the removed air scoop get a layer of Mr. Surfacer 500, after that a wet sanding

dscf6217ewjcg.jpg

dscf621630kg6.jpg

dscf62275vjop.jpg

dscf6221uzjts.jpg

dscf6228mrj5x.jpg

dscf6229wjkom.jpg

dscf6230ajje3.jpg

stay tuned............

• Like 2