++++ Marmon Herrington MkII ME - Finished ++++

The Marmon Herrington Armoured Car was widely use daily by British and Commonwealth Forces in the Mediterranean and Africa theatres. As well as Greece and North Africa they were used extensively by South African Forces in East Africa.  It was built in South Africa from parts from the US, Canada, the U.K. and South Africa and saw action across the continent and around the eastern Med. Over 5000 were built from 1940 to 1944 until replaced by heavier armoured and gunned vehicles. There are a number of Marks and the ME version was designed specifically for use in the Mediterranean theatres. 

resized_eef0ecc0-0e2d-4657-a20d-ccafb72c

There's a single sprue which contains well moulded parts with fine detail. There is a bit of flash on some parts but hopefully nothing that is too difficult to get sorted out. 

resized_beaba2dd-eac2-4c59-a86e-2c7ec21e

Double page instructions which are OK but the kit lacks location marks and the instructions have a vagueness about them. 

resized_3ce5af52-0a94-49c5-aef2-6fcc0373

As well as the colour schemes on the rear of the box there are colour call outs for 4 options, 3 for NZ Forces in Greece and one for a British Unit in North Africa, for which there is a small transfer sheet. I was hoping for a SA option to complete the triumpharate of built, used and employed by Africa(ns). But as Meatloaf says, two out of three ain't bad. All are in the Caunter scheme which will be a challenge, both because of the masking but also getting paint matches, particularly at the moment when shopping is curtailed and sending paint in the post is challenging. But I'll sort something. 

resized_e596f5dc-a962-4208-bd1c-73cb1bcc

Let the modelling begin. 

• Like 7

Work started. The plastic is quite hard and most of the parts have a little bit of a moulding seam and/flash which needs rubbed off. The bigger challenge is working out where everything goes. I've already put the front springs in the wrong place and had to move them forward a few mm. The second challenge is although neatly moulded, most parts are slightly too big for where they have to go and need a little bit of trimming to get them to fit in. This was a particular issue for the front window piece on the upper body but most of the underside inserts required light sanding to get them to fit. 

resized_d6fab94b-6a3f-4c57-a1b7-8c9b4684

The steering tie rod on the front axle was a fraction short so I remedied that with a sliver of scrap plastic from the sprue. 

resized_959acd80-6448-4eac-b4e0-59f96988

A little bit of filler will be needed but that's probably down to me removing a tad too much. The turret is started and the instructions appear to show parts for the earlier version and have the part number wrong, 49 on the sprue is one of the mantlets not the side. 

resized_959acd80-6448-4eac-b4e0-59f96988

resized_45245743-c535-4b59-bfd6-e5cc4be4

Another challenge encountered are the sprue gates which are quite big with respect to the size of the parts. And many are on mating surfaces. This means careful filing out, especially on recessed parts like the turret sides. Below shows the excess plastic on the spare mantlet, top and bottom, and I had thought about using it so have already started sanding it down. Because of the hard plastic I've had to break out my needle files. Though as can be seen from the turret it does build into a neat representation. 

resized_bb84bfa7-4373-46f1-94c5-6ae4bb21

• Like 7

A good choice for a build @825

1 hour ago, 825 said:

shopping is curtailed and sending paint in the post is challenging.

Do you use enamel paints?
Receiving acrylic paint through the post hasn't been an issue for me.

Finding a supplier with enough of the correct colours to justify the postage? Now, that has been challenging.

8 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

A good choice for a build @825

Do you use enamel paints?
Receiving acrylic paint through the post hasn't been an issue for me.

Finding a supplier with enough of the correct colours to justify the postage? Now, that has been challenging.

Thanks Robert. I usually use acrylics but getting the correct colours may be a challenge as there are limited ranges in acrylic and I haven't been able to find a UK supplier yet. Colourcoats and Xtracolour do them in enamel but getting them may be a challenge, and expensive. I will look through my fairly extensive stash of Humbrol, Xtracrylix and Revell to see if I can find something close. I've seen  RLM 02 suggested for the silver grey but to me that's a greyish green rather than a silvery grey. I need to do some more research on the Caunter scheme. 

• Like 2

AK Interactive (two types of paint) and Vallejo both offer boxed sets of Acrylics for British and Commonwealth N Africa schemes - but boxed sets are expensive.
Presumably the same bottles are available unboxed too?

6 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

AK Interactive (two types of paint) and Vallejo both offer boxed sets of Acrylics for British and Commonwealth N Africa schemes - but boxed sets are expensive.
Presumably the same bottles are available unboxed too?

I've bitten the bullet and ordered a set of Lifecolour paints for British Armour in the Balkans and North Africa. Hopefully they'll arrive soon enough to get on. There's some more photos to come and I'm on to the painting stage. 

• Like 2

Great subject choice and while the kit is putting up a fight you're winning in fine style. Hopefully those paints arrive soon to allow you continued progress.

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Great subject choice and while the kit is putting up a fight you're winning in fine style. Hopefully those paints arrive soon to allow you continued progress.

Thanks Col. 

The underside is finished. The prop shafts needed replacement as they were a couple of millimetres short.  The last part of the exhaust broke on the sprue so it was better to replace rather than repair. 

resized_b199a1b6-1871-40f3-beec-8b6a865c

Upper and lower body added and the fit is good but a little filler will be needed, mainly due to my over enthusiasm with the sanding. 

resized_a6948c3f-e525-410b-afd1-d4bfd7d9

Front end detail fitted, which needed a fair amount of fettling to get to fit. 

resized_aa5700af-8f49-4ee4-a216-989d234e

Turret popped on, and some detail now to be added. Just need to wait for the paint arriving now. Not a great photograph but shows the nice lines of this overlooked machine. 

resized_3e5ec77c-dabd-4c9e-896b-46f51cfc

• Like 3

Paint arrived and a few coats of Portland Stone now on. The Lifecolour paint is nice but it needs a few coats and dries very matt. I'll layer on a coat of Kleer to seal it so hopefully the masking tape doesn't remove it. 

resized_89401b69-51e8-4f30-bbbb-5347b068

Edited by 825
wrong paint brand
  • Like 5

Hi,

This is something I have been looking out for for years but never found. Looks like it might build up into a nice representation and it will be interesting to see how your Caunter Scheme works out. I am building some tanks in that scheme in the "Anything but Injection" GB and using my stock of old Colourcoats paints I bought years ago, but Mike Starmer has published several booklets giving mixes using Revell and Humbrol paints which I was going to post. However I see you say you have ordered some "Lifecolour" although you later say you are using Colourcoats Portland Stone? Just looked at my collection of photos from the Tank Museum as I had a vague memory they had one, but I see it is one of the prototype Mk VI 8 wheelers so no help to you.  I did think they might have had an earlier version but am probably wrong.

This shows you how far I had got with the Caunter on my Fujimi Matilda before I stopped work a couple of years ago.

DSC04807-crop

Colourcoats Portland Stone and Slate on the hull so far and the "Silver Grey" to go on - I will leave the turret until last as it was a pain on the Matilda apparently due to the shape. Mike Starmer has a painting plan for what he calls a M-H Mk III car without turret in his Caunter Scheme handbook if that would be of any interest? The "official" drawings show that Slate could be replaced with what is called "new service colour" ie Khaki Green G3.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

On 3/29/2021 at 2:26 PM, PeterB said:

Hi,

This is something I have been looking out for for years but never found. Looks like it might build up into a nice representation and it will be interesting to see how your Caunter Scheme works out. I am building some tanks in that scheme in the "Anything but Injection" GB and using my stock of old Colourcoats paints I bought years ago, but Mike Starmer has published several booklets giving mixes using Revell and Humbrol paints which I was going to post. However I see you say you have ordered some "Lifecolour" although you later say you are using Colourcoats Portland Stone? Just looked at my collection of photos from the Tank Museum as I had a vague memory they had one, but I see it is one of the prototype Mk VI 8 wheelers so no help to you.  I did think they might have had an earlier version but am probably wrong.

This shows you how far I had got with the Caunter on my Fujimi Matilda before I stopped work a couple of years ago.

DSC04807-crop

Colourcoats Portland Stone and Slate on the hull so far and the "Silver Grey" to go on - I will leave the turret until last as it was a pain on the Matilda apparently due to the shape. Mike Starmer has a painting plan for what he calls a M-H Mk III car without turret in his Caunter Scheme handbook if that would be of any interest? The "official" drawings show that Slate could be replaced with what is called "new service colour" ie Khaki Green G3.

Cheers

Pete

Great collection Pete, I have started to watch your work in the GB and it's impressive. I've a couple of Milicast models but they're from the Premier range and have lots of bits ( a Deacon and a 2pdr Portee) so will probably be for another time. 

I made an error, as an avowed acrylics user I got some Lifecolour paint and that's what's on. I've corrected the post. I know colourcoats are the gold standard but enamels, are not my thing any more. The Lifecolour shades do look very similar to those from your Colourcoats. 

The Mike Starmer painting plan would be very helpful as the colour plans don't show all 4 sides or the top so it would take away the guess work. As long as it's OK to share. 

• 2 weeks later...

Masked and a first coat of Silver Grey on. Relatively straightforward to do the masking with thin strips of Tamiya tape. Probably a lot easier on the relatively boxy shape compared to some of the tanks in the Caunter scheme with all their sticky out bits. After another coat it'll be time for the Slate Grey. 

resized_050da56a-06f4-4b92-815b-9a76ed05

• Like 4

On 4/10/2021 at 7:32 AM, CliffB said:

An armoured car in a Caunter scheme.  What's not to like?  I'm looking forward to seeing the final colours. 

Thanks Cliff, the Caunter scheme is nice but it takes a bit of masking   And finding the right demarcation is challenging even though I've been provided with some really good drawings.   Anyway now we have the Slate Grey first coat on. 

resized_c45cacfa-f056-4813-828b-0821c6fd

• Like 4

On 4/17/2021 at 12:07 PM, PeterB said:

Looking good so far and at least you can just about mask it - no chance on some of my tanks!.

Pete

Thanks Pete, it took a wee while to mask it but it wasn't too bad using thin strips of Tamiya tape. I see the challenge you had with the complex shapes of the tanks you built, especially some of the early cruisers with their auxiliary turrets. 

The painting is almost done and just needs a little tidying up and I'll be on the home run. 

resized_3df23a5b-7431-452e-8bcb-46147f22

resized_d7f3b99e-be01-4eec-af62-9a90a8d6

resized_bd2d5d95-46f5-4a3a-a912-91397d22

• Like 4

Main painting finished and wheels on

resized_56d71bac-feee-4c5f-bfc0-80ce4053

resized_11face46-0b66-4c47-b680-12cc4733

Turret now with Boys A/T rifle and Bren added. 

resized_d1e318e6-9d18-49ad-bd71-2b66c1a7

The moulding is all over the place, the guns and this Vickers are lovely pieces and apart from the sprue gates need no tidying up. 

resized_03ace781-3668-4d86-9c79-a681a25a

• Like 3

All the bits and pieces added an dthe the paint all touched up. So apart from the transfers, of which there are 2, this little armoured car is finished. I've added a coat of Kleer to the areas where the transfers are to go and then after they're dry I'll give the whole car a coat of matt varnish, to pull everything together. 

resized_3198155e-cefe-4d37-9804-7d0a199e

resized_1708c6d7-8727-443a-85b9-019a2016

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Finished now and ready for the gallery. 

resized_1f321254-bb99-485a-a221-55941d04

And with its East African Campaign brother. 

resized_a664e344-01de-4743-8690-5ac40c96

• Like 4

• 825 changed the title to ++++ Marmon Herrington MkII ME - Finished ++++