1/72 Airfix Phantom FG.1

9 hours ago, kapam said:

An excellent British Phantom! :clap2:

With such a great result, perhaps you'll rethink on not doing another (well, one day).

A few weeks after finishing this I was eyeing off an RAF Phantom. Might get a few WW2 builds out of the way first. 

11 hours ago, Red Roy said:

Great job. Thanks to your posting I removed the offending antennae from the fin. Just about to do the decals on my one now. Might have to be selective !!

Glad my mistake helped someone out! 😀 Good luck with the decals, it is.....  character building.

Looks very nice! I picked up one of these about a month ago and i really liked what i saw on the sprues. My gut tells me the engineers at Tamiya looked over this thing and they took some inspiration from it for their F-4B.

I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions on this kit. I already knew about the lack of detail on the intake ramps, but were there any other places on the build that drove you nuts??

Built the Fujimi kit eons ago, but they've been lost to the sands of time.

-d-

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, David H said:

Looks very nice! I picked up one of these about a month ago and i really liked what i saw on the sprues. My gut tells me the engineers at Tamiya looked over this thing and they took some inspiration from it for their F-4B.

I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions on this kit. I already knew about the lack of detail on the intake ramps, but were there any other places on the build that drove you nuts??

Built the Fujimi kit eons ago, but they've been lost to the sands of time.

-d-

G'day David

Only issues I had were self inflicted such as doing a bit of plastic surgery to fit the Aerocraft intake set and getting the under side of the nose to line up near the nose wheel well took a bit of patience. Also I don't think the instructions mention the removal of the antennas on the vertical stab so watch out for that. Did I mention all thise decals? But all in all a nice build.

• Like 1

That's a fantastic job. I built the same plane from the Fujimi kit years ago, long since lost, but I fancy a revisit. I have the Italeri rebox of the Fujimi kit in the stash which has another 892 NAS Phantom (006 IIRR) - two of them, actually - and was thinking about a revisit, your build has made the itch a bit more in need of scratching. The stencils aren't quite as punishing comprehensive as Airfix's version though!

I'm hoping to visit Northern Ireland next year and see the real thing!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Thanks 1