1/35 Vosper 72'6" MTB 234 (change of plan from MTB82)

Seems to be a run of large scale builds again. My hull for my 1/72 Leander HMNZS Waikato (see other build thread) is taking a bit longer than I expected when ordering due to demand (everyone staying home and model building I guess) and even when dispatched will take 4-5 weeks to get here so in the mean time I have decided to dive into the 1/35 Vosper I have sitting here.

I intend to build as MTB 82 as she appeared in the Med Feb 1943.

y4m5Gtr3O1_0niiRtkEpNMU02le5duDLJ0Kbo-RR

I while ago I picked up the Italeri Breda 20/65 mod. 35 gun to be able to add the Breda to the fore deck. 

spacer.png

Today I familiarised myself with the parts and started assembly, drilled out deck holes and started sub assemblies. Note nothing apart from hull fittings is glued in place yet. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Next step will be to putty, fill, sand all of these piece then move on to next stage of assembly prior to some priming. Alas I do not have an airbrush so may need to use rattle cans for this build. 

Edited by Alun Gallie
  • Like 6

This is going to be interesting ! Why don't you build MTB 295 as a tribute to your fellow Aussie Lieutenant Hugh Cassidy. MTB 295 also had a Breda gun but modelling this particular boat would involve some extra work as it was an American lend-lease Vosper :

http://cfv.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=751&sid=19424e1ff91abf7faaac7f9577f61156

Regards,

Arjan

11 hours ago, Arjan said:

This is going to be interesting ! Why don't you build MTB 295 as a tribute to your fellow Aussie Lieutenant Hugh Cassidy. MTB 295 also had a Breda gun but modelling this particular boat would involve some extra work as it was an American lend-lease Vosper :

I did consider 295 among others but liked the scheme on 82.

I am also a Kiwi (NZ) living in Oz (although also Oz citizen now) and 82 had an RNZVR skipper, Lt R Johnston 

The other option I could look at is MTB234, would just need to swap our Breda for an Oerlikan . It was commanded by Lt G MacDonald DSO DSC & 2 bars MID who was the most decorated NZ naval officer during WWII.

• Like 2

As per above discussion with Arjan - have been having a look this morning at MTB234 as an option as well. Would mean I would need to order an Oerlikon and the Breda would stay in the stash, but perhaps a plus is the crew are modelled in such a way to be more suited to channel operations (anyone have any sources of 1/35 crew figures in Med dress  ? (ie shorts etc) as I see in quite of few of the med based pictures. that more pirate look) 

Anyway MTB 234 

spacer.png

Also an interesting scheme. A few things leap out at me that I would love some guidance from more experienced coastal modellers.

The Cowl headed vents - on this picture it shows 234 with two quite tall ones (just higher than the hatch cowling), opening facing forward on quarterdeck, whilst the ones just in front of gun tub are not visible over the tubes. 

The actual kit has the taller cowls in the just forward of gun tub position 

spacer.png

spacer.png

One photo I found of MTB234 seems to support the taller, forward facing although it is prior to this scheme and the mounting of the 20mm.

spacer.png

The more photos I looked at the more confused I got found both forward and aft facing, and some on a range of angles, even 90 degrees (although mainly in photos along side particularly loading torpedos which lead me to believe they are probably rotatable. Any advice/guidance welcome. 

Also any input on a good 1/35 20mm Oerlikon in case I decide to take this path more than welcome.

Another thing I note is appears only carried one set of depth charge mounts ?

Edited by Alun Gallie
  • Like 1

Italeri have a PT crew whose figures might be used after some alterations  :

https://www.italeri.com/en/product/2402

The quality of these figures, however, is rather poor so it's probably best to select some other figures in appropriate attire and source a set of Hornet British sailor heads :

https://www.steelmodels.com/headsets-hands-sets-hornet-5-heads-wearing-british-sailor-cap-post-1930.2.53.337.gp.3885.uw

As for the cowl vents,  the cowls could indeed be rotated. Note the different direction of the cowls on both boats :

fuFoH6e.jpg

Some time ago I happened across this nice pic :

OoNUFsk.png

The Italeri Oerlikon contained in the PT Boat conversion set and in the S-38 type Schnellboot kit is adequate but not great. The 3d printed Oerlikons at Shapeways are better but you don't want a light weight mount for MTB 234. I don't know if the Italeri mount is 100% correct for MTB 234.

https://www.italeri.com/en/product/2214

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 2

Great pics - thanks Arjan 

The PT Boat conversion kit seems really hard to find. 

I have a bit more filling, sand etc to do before I reach point of probably committing to a boat so will reflect on the two options. Of course its always an excuse to come back and build a second.

2 hours ago, Alun Gallie said:

As per above discussion with Arjan - have been having a look this morning at MTB234 as an option as well. Would mean I would need to order an Oerlikon and the Breda would stay in the stash, but perhaps a plus is the crew are modelled in such a way to be more suited to channel operations (anyone have any sources of 1/35 crew figures in Med dress  ? (ie shorts etc) as I see in quite of few of the med based pictures. that more pirate look) 

Anyway MTB 234 

spacer.png

Also an interesting scheme. A few things leap out at me that I would love some guidance from more experienced coastal modellers.

The Cowl headed vents - on this picture it shows 234 with two quite tall ones (just higher than the hatch cowling), opening facing forward on quarterdeck, whilst the ones just in front of gun tub are not visible over the tubes. 

The actual kit has the taller cowls in the just forward of gun tub position 

spacer.png

spacer.png

One photo I found of MTB234 seems to support the taller, forward facing although it is prior to this scheme and the mounting of the 20mm.

spacer.png

The more photos I looked at the more confused I got found both forward and aft facing, and some on a range of angles, even 90 degrees (although mainly in photos along side particularly loading torpedos which lead me to believe they are probably rotatable. Any advice/guidance welcome. 

Also any input on a good 1/35 20mm Oerlikon in case I decide to take this path more than welcome.

Another thing I note is appears only carried one set of depth charge mounts ?

I have two of the Vosper kits purchased with the idea of building a diorama of Mediterranean based boats with RNZNVR COs but like you each new photo just adds to the mist. 

10 minutes ago, Alun Gallie said:

Just ordered this book 

spacer.png

Should be an interesting read. 

Yes a great read.  I read it last year during lockdown along with 'A War By Stealth' (about Lt WC Drake DSC RNZNVR) also by Gerry Wright.

Based on the reading I have done this morning I am now leaning towards doing MTB234 at the time 4th July 1944 when the CO Lt G MacDonald RNZVR was awarded his DSO. The more I have read this morning the more I want to model a boat as a tribute to the highest decorated WWII NZ sailor. 

He started as a junior rate and then was selected for officer training. He was awarded his first DSC on MTB31, then shortly after took command of MTB241 as a 20 year old - the youngest CO in the RN.

As a 21 year old he was made Temporary Lt and given command of the 21st MTB Flotilla. By this time he had been awarded his 2nd DSC. 

A year later he was awarded his 3rd. DSC, a couple of weeks after the operation for which he received the DSO. He was also Mentioned in Dispatches. 

spacer.png

Edited by Alun Gallie

• Alun Gallie changed the title to 1/35 Vosper 72'6" MTB 82 (or maybe MTB 234)

Got a few more bits assembled and started with a little bit of putty and sanding work. Not thrilled with the depth charges - would have liked to replace drum with plastic tube but will only be using 2 (the limited photos I can find of 234 suggest it had rear DC cradle removed) so will pick the best two. (Onedrive has also done something interesting to photo so a bit distorted)

spacer.png

The other changes I have been able to determine for 234 (confirmation or contradiction more than welcome) are

taller cowlings on quarterdeck

three rudder/three prop

IFF aerial on main mast

deployment of chemical smoke maker was horizontal across stern, right at stern to left of ensign staff

I found online this photo of a lovely model Julian Seddon's Coastal Craft 1/72 MTB 234 which shows 3 rudder set up and reduced DCs and placement of CSM.

Would be keen for any reference photos of the real boat to validate.

Photo from scalemodellingnow.com

spacer.png

Edited by Alun Gallie
  • Like 3

• Alun Gallie changed the title to 1/35 Vosper 72'6" MTB 234 (change of plan from MTB82)

Today after work decided to make a start on the third rubber set up as its one of the main conversion/scratch aspects and I was worried I was a bit rusty to pull it off. 

I test fitted the two rudders to the transom.

spacer.png

Then using some styrene rod and tube I made a shorter shot (about half height based on couple of diagrams I could find and Arjan's picture above) 

spacer.png

I had to drill out the tube a little to fit the smaller rod inside to match the others. 

spacer.png

The rudder is about 2mm thick at its thickest but I could not easily lay my hands on some 2mm styrene today so laminated a piece from three thin pieces.

spacer.png

When dry I marked out rudder and roughly trimmed. 

spacer.png

I then sanded and shaped until it matched the other rudder. 

spacer.png

The small square with hole at top of picture will be cut in half to match the other mounting points on the transom .All in all I am reasonably happy although in doing photos became aware the lower ring on short rudder is a bit thicker than other two. Might have to see if I can thin down. 

Edited by Alun Gallie
Updated image links
  • Like 4

Ok some progress - got sick on OneDrive doing funny things with photos so trying IMGUR. 

I thinned the ring on the third rudder to match the other two and discovered that the three thickness rudder was not quite think enough so added another layer and trimmed. 

Did the fittings on the transom for the third rudder to try to match the other two. Still a little clean up.

spacer.png

Then did a dry fit with the rudders 

spacer.png

The thicker ring sitting on top of the ring and the one on the port rudder are not fixed - they are just rings which form the start of the mechanism for the control arms that ran from port rudder to centre rudder. 

• Like 2

Fitted the prop shafts and props and then glued the rudders in place.

spacer.png

Then added a horizontal control bar between port rudder and central rudder at just about water line. Still not fixed so can adjust height once cavitation plates are in place. Just need to get some material to make third cavitation mount and brackets.

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 21/03/2021 at 13:45, Alun Gallie said:

Correct Greg - lived in Adelaide for 26 years but ex RNZN 

I can match that. I spent 26 years on the Gold Coast in Queensland.  Came back to NZ almost 6 years ago. I decided Australia was showing signs of getting a bit hot in summer for me. So I came back and started my own small business and I'm doing ok. Only trouble is the pandemic is stopping me from seeing my grandchildren. 

Good progress. 

• Like 1

Pushed on and assembled the cavitation plates. The only copper/brass sheet I had to hand was too thin (0.4 more like foil) so I made the third from styrene. It is a smidge thicker than PE versions but only if you look real close.

spacer.png

Then mounted onto transom - note horizontal arm still not fixed - once everything really dry/set will bring down to just above cavitation plate brackets.

spacer.png

Then the insanity started to set in and added a few rivets to match the other two. 

spacer.png

Couple of other kit U brackets to fit (at least to top of shafts, might leave off bottom) and horizontal arm to fit then might call that done for now. 

Edited by Alun Gallie
  • Like 6

One final pic for the day with the shaft U brackets fitted, mocked a couple up for the centre shaft too. (Note deck not fixed just sitting loose hence big gap) 

spacer.png

Edited by Alun Gallie
  • Like 1

Ok this morning I added the portholes and other PE to the Hull. I am now a little unsure of next step and would welcome some advice. I feel I am ready to paint the hull (a little bit of prep first but close) but have not done a lot of masking and spraying as normally build smaller stuff.

spacer.png

Should I prime and paint entire hull white then mask and do black and grey or do I prime, then do black then mask that and do white

Colour scheme is as below although I am going with the Coastal Craft colouring which has the quite dark blue grey on here as a much lighter grey and the deck as the darker blue grey.

spacer.png

Interested to hear how the more experienced would tackle the hull paint - is there some sort of rules i.e start darker and work lighter, start smallest area and mask 'up' or start largest area and mask 'down' ? 

Here is Coastal Craft colour plate - black boot topping positioning is also different. Photo credit Coastal Craft Models

spacer.png

Thanks

Edited by Alun Gallie

Bit of an update - finished sanding hull and washed in warm soapy water ready for priming and did a bit more of the sub assembly on superstructure, torpedo tubes and deck fittings so I can prime those. The PE was a bit challenging as I have not done much but think I got there with a bit of patience. Tomorrows plan to do a bit of a stocktake of what's left (I think mostly the Vickers guns and the spray shield/nav lights/ mast etc) 

See if any more deck fittings - think there are a few PE rings etc and then prep and spray deck, I think I will leave the ensign and jack staffs for now and do those later as think light grey not blue grey. 

spacer.png

34rqyXT.jpg?1

Edited by Alun Gallie
  • Like 2

Hi Alun - in response to your query about the orde rof painting, personally I'd prime then apply white and mask the black antifouling and hull colour block.  There is an early pc of 234 in Home fleet grey all over and apparently no later pics though sister boats wore the 507c light grey hull block depicted, as you say on the Coastal craft cover.

If you weren't aware @andrewa did a superb rendition in 1/72

Nice job all round

Rob