Airfix Triumph Herald starter set build

I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying this build.

y4mq1GOWoglhLxPaP6OPifwSdwrHpkX_C0Gz673l

Wheels are on, it definitely feels lie an important part of the build process.

y4ma4qd7RxZfQkPKhJUIVrlbgeu8cGUAvd-FZTAa

Exhaust pipe added, there isn't much to hold it on, but the downpipe lines up with the manifold and the mounting peg lines up with the hole in the sliencer.  Loke most of the kit, it's basic but it does the job.

y4mCFc_Pui1nSWG4nT4Jn7iFtDGUy7WYr5T4RQQT

I've touched up the tan on the seats and added a bit of black trim around the storage tray on the transmission tunnel.

y4m4485JH0CM1AfSCN8v96xGFw7QJmz5Zue_IpJb

Headlamps, I didn't want to paint the whole thing silver so I'm going for silver rims with white centres.  I'll have to contrive a better solution for future builds.

y4m66g-Tn9HdmoeDVQ9_XBRU7UBke1B-iOyyv_u8

Hub caps on the wheels, it's a pity they don't have more of the shape of the actual Herald's wheel trims.  I also added a tiny bit more painted detail to the engine and black paint to the end of the chassis where it's visible in the engine bay.

I've also added some more detail to the body, so expect another update soon.

• Like 10

Yet more Herald.

y4m-sWAFKY4EUVybSzECArhq9CzXMqbrqCL_Rkpo

Masking and painting the windscreen rubber, plus detail added to the firewall.

y4mmeMQGUyR3LFi5wxCCXLQzohS1DwxZnLJF_g6j

Rear window surround (cheated and used the Molotow chrome pen).

y4mNIZP6ozTC-sQkrxq3fu80Zv9K-v1RRQOQczbN

There is no interior door detail but I thought a coat of tan paint was a reasonable compromise for a beginner-style build.

54 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The white on the bumpers. Wasn't it a rubber insert on certain models?

From what I've seen it was a white rubber finish with chrome end caps.  I'm following the box art, however, and painting mine silver as I quite like how that looks.

• Like 7

Well, I think this one is done!

y4mHB-zwvvmEPY4_ZxM__hLPdXROsADewL3axdLp

Glass and dashboard went in, I tried using the Polycement for the glass but it wasn't very satisfying and I switched to PVA and did the same for the dashboard because I didn't want to risk any glue damaging the paint or windscreen,  The dash is a fairly snug fit and might stay in on its own.  The headlining is just the grey plastic of the kit.

y4mEJ8AE7aE7gFFtLReQshjgudv3ZnEnUYK5biAR

Headlamps, these needed a bit of trimming on the inside so that the void in the back of the lamp was the same size as the pegs on the bonnet.

y4mBEfI4cKC8nhioV7LKWjYF5khJ7bjTkmazmGim

Underside glued to the body.

y4mEaO3CYMRQmenzbUGsHu7TPXzoIniiX-8uvlKT

Bonnet dropped onto its pins.

y4mZaWzILD-SZFcMrM4EV64qBdfs0at-SBOLBU-T

Front grille ended up a bit clogged by the silver paint of the kit,.

y4mMe3zMcHQQHMQvtc1EcIlr_ucy-QYafSRATpls

The rear axle doesn't quite sit straight in the chassis, this side is better than the other.

y4maVTX0U-tErvEXzfHUXNfGrT-BKNOpx2rXIkVa

Rear end detail to add.

y4mCRmXS5mU5Pr0ATDujnTgGH_z6Prfk8J5zNGEv

The door handles and fuel filler were perfect fits for their respective holes.  Is this really an Airfix kit?

y4mYb05OVPzB8AnkSpHWGlvqdzSCe3m7DNBdqO-r

Front indicators, a bit fiddly and secured with PVA rather than the supplied glue as I think polycement would ruin the paint.

y4mX9H0-qA3F_eIE8ERLM65gaibCYNskPw_yb46W

Rear over-riders and tail lamps were a bit tricky.

y4m0BE5AoJFAQGPX0c09p-XF0DtLTdS-6WvjEwQg

Tail lamps were painted with the red acrylic from the kit, but just on the inside to give a more realistic effect.

y4m7PXdroFEO66HQatdCTxwDpLJeDX_fXwn2dzcd

Taxed (or is it just the label from a Guinness bottle?).

y4m-UsbbuFs4RtjPaQ2FgYqUArtTUSaU2MoptILJ

Did the person who did the number plate talk to the person who did the bumpers (or look at the letters used on real number plates)?

y4mDaKZ39UxBIAe_T_pvrA_4ha0Qp1ONDUEfcU0d

And the rear view,  The brown of the interior looks pretty good too.

• Like 11

On 25/03/2021 at 19:45, Pete in Lincs said:

The white on the bumpers. Wasn't it a rubber insert on certain models?

There are two problems with the Airfix Herald (which otherwise is a pretty good representation of a 1200 Herald) - one of which is that they forgot to add the rubber bumpers, leaving just the steel bumpers of the original 950 version. The rubber bumpers went on top of the steel ones and were an inch or so thick, roughly rectangular in section. I have added them before by using U shaped channel, used with the open side against the existing bumper and finishing off with an end cap made from putty or similar.

Rubber bumpers were fitted to all 1200, 12/50 and 13/60 Heralds. 950 just had the steels (like the kit) and the Vitesse featured anodised ribbed plates screwed to the steels.

The other problem is the wheels/hubcaps - there is no real shaping to the rim plus the hubcaps are totally wrong (although the picture on the box is correct from memory) and should have a rib around the edge and a flat recessed area in the middle a bit under two inches across. Years ago I used market an upgraded wheel (plus a 13/60 version that featured an embellisher behind the hubcap with a series of small holes around it) and I keep coming across the odd wheel but have no idea where the mould is now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1