Airfix Triumph Herald starter set build

11 hours ago, Spiny said:

As for the polycement, I must be doing well with it as not only did it do those three kits, but I'm still on the second tube 14 kits later :)

Hi Spiny,
I found that those tubes of Poly cement (no specific brand) 'problematic'. I always find that they can by 'stringy' and if you are not careful, it will spoil the model as the string spills over the plastic.

I stick with a liquid solvent or Revell contacta (I think Humbrol offer a similar product) for most work, and occasional epoxy for more 'difficult' bonds.

Cheers,

Alan.

Today has been educational.

y4mRwDLC7OKh-vVBUSz7SiXBMruGxfYNkL2dZA0f

Cutting circles from styrene isn't as easy as you think it's going to be.  The failure rate was pretty high.

y4m6bOvnyhQG4Cwb30X87BlGl4YxUsTYkdDBEX3L

Held in pace with Blutac

y4mvAAcCu0uTvLLYCcbk1bBgNi7TcwLtR5VwR8lL

Another bit of cheating, Halfords camouflage "ultra matt" black paint.  Actually gives quite a nice tyre colour.

y4mgTUBGoYHmkTcVlIieNf3icREHvvxB3-AlQMSA

Not the cleanest masking.

y4m_oo4wHrDZnc3706GQWxsqRCYKpCZfZAn6CJdk

Pretty much rescued by a cotton bud with a little IPA.

y4m8F-tY4lvRu8w_GvFUxobHj3OTuz1REoanZIm_

Some things for holding the wheels on the axles, plenty of flash to clean.

y4mFTLIq5gYZURD0YD2iry2Zjdlzz7eIkClNXw_5

Quick mock-up.

y4mXAX5Y3Lc9n2f-F5GRCQVbQi8EJAfbHTszBg83

And the other side.

y4m0dbxlK-lEIHNztpdg_urcqP0KR528FLMk6HiG

Just a reminder of the horrors of the paint pots, thankfully the paint improved with stirring.

y4mtQOyBocDSqbwK14IaB1-4FbvQ6yZmOpFRxnne

I wanted a carpet colour that wasn't the same as the seats but was similar, so I mixed the tan and white.  I think I've seen similar colour carpet in Heralds.  It's probably going to be a bit glossy as neither paint colour is matt, but it'll have to do for trying to use as much of the supplied starter set as possible.  This paint managed to brush on quite neatly.

y4mIjhR-qRwJc3dCFpCOUZtwTer3Zj7ziCYdbNXY

Seeing how the seats look next to the carpet.

y4mOlE_LzYaQ00ZVZOv5dcuu9dokngmSzMNDSks0

One more piece of interior, the dashboard, with a comically mismatched speedo moulding and decal.  I've picked out the switches in black (I think some might actually be coloured warning lights) and put a tiny bit of slilver on the glove box latch and hinges.  You'll probably never see it when the car's finished but it's nice to know that it's there.

• Like 11

When using one of those circle cutters rotate it backwards to score the circle. If you turn it forwards the blade digs in and tries to go straight.

Ask me how I know.....

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I have the same circle cutters, and when trying to cut small circles, they can bend and distort the resulting circle.

Ian, I know what you mean.... Same question 'Ask me...'

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Alan R said:

I have the same circle cutters, and when trying to cut small circles, they can bend and distort the resulting circle.

Ian, I know what you mean.... Same question 'Ask me...'

Cheers,

Alan.

This was the first time I'd used mine.  They feel pretty rigid but it's amazing how they distort when you try and use them.  Still, live and learn.

7 hours ago, Brandy said:

When using one of those circle cutters rotate it backwards to score the circle. If you turn it forwards the blade digs in and tries to go straight.

Ask me how I know.....

Ian

Thanks for the tip, noted for next time.

As long as you know the limitations of the tool, you can still get decent circles with it.
I used mine when I was adapting the Nissan Disc brakes for my Z1.

I think that smallest diameter was just about as small as the cutters could go.

I think I lost more to the carpet monster than bad cuts though...

I found also that you need to clean up the edges as the blade tends to produce furrows with raised edges.

Still a useful tool though.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Thanks 1

The Herald wheels were the minimum size for the cutters and spraying black over white was always going to be a challenge.  I think the result was still better than trying to cut circles of masking tape.

• Like 2

Today I've been spraying spoons.

y4m2QSfylFiE2DfDK_-5TI1kKihZpS952aR5Ox0x

Trying out different reds over Tamiya Fine Surface Primer.

y4mvAgv4F3woKE4YwKLhlOhQvboLp3VegZQFHgEh

From top to bottom; Tamiya Racing Red, Halfords Rosso and Halfords Sunburst.  I think it's down to one of the first two.

y4m2i541-lJVnKmDzCxHCtpSxwcp9v-aPjee7wEd

I think I prefer the Tamiya colour for this build.

53 minutes ago, Six97s said:

I'm tempted to pick up one of these.  Re the carpet - if you only have gloss paint, adding a small amount of talc will turn it matt.

I can recommend the kit and I never thought I'd say that about an Airfix car kit.  Thanks for the tip about the talc.

• Like 5

One last update for today.

y4mT7yghBOhWEyGv_YLGvrwxEHZhuzmc4Yb299KO

The floor isn't looking too glossy.

y4mB1M-htRZdjsZwSdt-huBwQq1QmxTYr8SzyfTj

Another colour check with the seats, yes I'm happy with that.

y4m9YShKjDAtvHLPPMMsPgJbguTB1lDpjFo_K8o8

Masking up.  I've used clingfilm on the chassis/floor because masking tape might (probably would) pull the suspension to pieces and probably pull off the paint too.  I saw it done on someone else's build and thought it was a great idea.

y4m0dKLB5XlD66Hh87ppMqukbaRvPXiJE_DJKclF

And Tamiya Racing Red has been applied.

• Like 12

How wonderful!

I have been looking for the 13/60 since my father has had one since the mid 70. We used the car as hobby/2'nd car until mid 90. It has been stored since. 100% original.  (The original wipers is there).

If i find a 13/60 i will make a model of this. 

8-)

• Like 3

Welcome to tonight's Triumph Herald update.

y4mMio4E_-3gINM4swoIBfhUjcUPIHk-LAWG_CFe

Masking tape removed and that's not bad at all.

y4mFz_M_jL5qIBuJIg5atbMadYASBoInewDLLDc2

Quick mock-up.

y4mtBwfBpX4kvTLAEphI142_zk8Afl7q6k8FFMh4

I think it needs tidying up around here, but I'll need to look at some real Heralds to see what this bit should look like.  The instructions are a bit vague on this part of the car.

y4mtCo0HN_b_pgRggFninDeiE4DqzRFApHU8sTEr

A little tidying needed around the rear bumper and rear pillar.  The bumper also needs painting, the instructions suggest silver but I think they were white on real Heralds.

y4m9qdZ7mGiSTgGm5jFp8hcdK5YO24SVdPUms-lI

Other side.

y4mAHZokXqVaTvq3qZTEZteAIs6XS7KEn5D3FMIS

y4mAHZokXqVaTvq3qZTEZteAIs6XS7KEn5D3FMIS

Getting the engine and prop-shaft installed.  The instructions suggest that the back axle is glued in first, with the engine and shaft going in together at a later stage.  The problem, as you can see, is the prong on the front end of the prop-shaft is too long and you can't bend it enough to pop it in to the back of the gearbox.  The next one I do, I'll drop the engine transmission and back axle into the chassis at the same time.

y4mOqtbXlu3NH8gOnoZ2cUzZ1-512ABiuqzuv6bJ

Another test fit, this time to ensure that the engine doesn't push the bonnet up.

y4mTNPg7V-d9T1phWh9vBlEoEjzeZfHE8B3tyxi6

Bonnet open.

y4mtqVqBDljZgMnUAv2ybFXc8Xv4uay1H3Iw_gHN

And a bit more work on the engine with the air filter and radiator attached.  The interior has the seats, gear lever and hand brake.  The seats need a little touch up, but it's quite pleasing for a simple interior.  Everything in the picture above - apart from the red paint - has been done just with the kit supplied parts, paint and glue.  OK so the carpet colour is done by mixing paint but I've not used anything except the things Airfix gives you plus a few basic tools.  If I were a beginner I don't think I'd be at all disappointed at this stage.

I am beginning to think that AIrfix infuse the plastic with some kind of addictive substance, I'm already thinking about getting one or two more Heralds to do a more detailed build; maybe another ordinary saloon and one as a police-liveried version with blue light (I saw a picture of a police Herald in light blue with white doors, which can't be any more difficult to mask than the red and white two-tone).

• Like 12

9 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I am beginning to think that AIrfix infuse the plastic with some kind of addictive substance, I'm already thinking about getting one or two more Heralds to do a more detailed build; maybe another ordinary saloon and one as a police-liveried version with blue light (I saw a picture of a police Herald in light blue with white doors, which can't be any more difficult to mask than the red and white two-tone).

Me too: I'd already taken a shine to the Maserati! I shall be sticking to resin for now (sometimes quite literally). Keep up the good work!

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2021 at 10:04 PM, johnlambert said:

y4mOlE_LzYaQ00ZVZOv5dcuu9dokngmSzMNDSks0

One more piece of interior, the dashboard, with a comically mismatched speedo moulding and decal.  I've picked out the switches in black (I think some might actually be coloured warning lights).

I suspect the whole dashboard is pretty unrealistic, but there should be pictures available if you search for them. I had a Toledo, and even then it was restricted to red, orange, green and blue, all integrated within the speedometer dial. Having said that, I can't think what all those switches could possibly do. Headlamps, wipers, washer and choke was about all you got back then, plus a couple of sliders for the heater. They had a nice wooden dashboard though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Definitely looking like a proper Triumph Herald !..I never knew they did a police "panda car" version, they were Morris Minors round our way !

The pictures I saw were of a replica police car but it seems Monmouthshire had some Heralds as patrol vehicles (six, in fact) A few pictures and a little information here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kitkent said:

It's looking very good so far John,I used to own a real Herald in those colours in the distant past.......I much preferred the Vitesse when a friend lent me his though! Chris.

Thanks Chris, I imagine the Vitesse has a lot in it's favour.  I prefer the look of the Herald but like the idea of the six-cylinder engine,  I think you can get resin 1/32 Vitesse bodies so it might be possible to convert the Airfix Herald.

2 hours ago, Chimpion said:

I suspect the whole dashboard is pretty unrealistic, but there should be pictures available if you search for them. I had a Toledo, and even then it was restricted to red, orange, green and blue, all integrated within the speedometer dial. Having said that, I can't think what all those switches could possibly do. Headlamps, wipers, washer and choke was about all you got back then, plus a couple of sliders for the heater. They had a nice wooden dashboard though.

To my eyes it doesn't look too far off the dashboard on this page.  I think 13/60s got a slightly more elaborate dash.  Looking at other pictures I can identify a wiper control (middle left), choke (top right), ignition key (middle right).  One of the switches is probably lights.

3 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

To my eyes it doesn't look too far off the dashboard on this page.  I think 13/60s got a slightly more elaborate dash.  Looking at other pictures I can identify a wiper control (middle left), choke (top right), ignition key (middle right).  One of the switches is probably lights.

I agree that must be what they based it on. That's very well equipped for the 1960s! Even seems to have a CD player in the middle 🤔😉

• Haha 1

Thanks @Six97s that's a slightly later Herald 13/60 which (by the look of it) got an updated dashboard.  The brochure is still very interesting.

This Herald 12/50 is closer to the Airfix model.

I can see a lot of time being wasted looking at old car brochures now ;) 

• Like 1