Glad to have found this cool group

Dr. K

Hi all,

I am a retired mathematics prof and am working on kits I have had in storage for many years.  I like WWII 1:48 scale planes and 1:24/1:25 scale muscle cars.  I found this site while researching ideas for decals on a P-51D Mustang.  I saw the Diablo by Calum (his work is excellent) and decided to join the group.

Since restarting the hobby I have built two cars: a Corvette concept car and a '66 Pontiac GTO, and three planes: a Bee Gee Racer, a P-51D Mustang and a Corsair f4u-4.  I need to do finishing touches on most of them & am learning new techniques.

• Like 4

Welcome!

We're a pretty friendly bunch ready and willing to give help with researchy-type stuff and advice if needed. Just make sure you post stuff in the right forum and you won't fall foul of the mods!!

Nick

• Like 1

Welcome to Britmodeller, I have been on here as a member for ten years and it is a good group. The mods keep us in line with strict rules, about politics, religion and language and I think that helps to keep the forum going and reduce friction. Having a sense of humour helps. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Doc... :post1: from Chicago, mostly aircraft here. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I grew up around Chicago.  Melrose Park until mid high school when we moved to Oak Park.  I consider Melrose Park my Chicago home.  I sure miss the pizza and Italian beef sandwiches!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Hi Dennis,

I grew up around Chicago.  Melrose Park until mid high school when we moved to Oak Park.  I consider Melrose Park my Chicago home.  I sure miss the pizza and Italian beef sandwiches!

I used to work in Melrose park at the corner of 25th and lake, place was called Witco chemical right across the street from the Jewel warehouse. I used to do security for taste of Melrose in the early 90’s as well. Know matter where I travel cant get a pizza or  an Italian Beef sandwich like Chicago. Just had Portillo’s for dinner last night as a matter of fact. 

• Like 1

Hallo Dr. K.

I am very pleased to hear, that you as a mathematician are on our forum. Me, I am retired mechanical engineer with a Ph.D. My background was gasdynamic and stress and stiffness analysis, before I got two and half decades ago in logic system developments.

In my desire to understand the world and people I was shifted two decades ago to philosophy. Since the daily battle for logic with the human gave me an insight. This pattern of neglecting sometimes hidden logic by particular persons is interesting.

So, maybe you can give some input, on interesting math bound posts.

As an example:

Would like to hear from you.

Happy modelling

On 3/21/2021 at 4:49 AM, dov said:

Hallo Dr. K.

I am very pleased to hear, that you as a mathematician are on our forum. Me, I am retired mechanical engineer with a Ph.D. My background was gasdynamic and stress and stiffness analysis, before I got two and half decades ago in logic system developments.

In my desire to understand the world and people I was shifted two decades ago to philosophy. Since the daily battle for logic with the human gave me an insight. This pattern of neglecting sometimes hidden logic by particular persons is interesting.

So, maybe you can give some input, on interesting math bound posts.

As an example:

Would like to hear from you.

Happy modelling

Hi dov,

My fields of expertise are statistics and how adults learn (and therefore how we should teach) mathematics.  Speaking as a statistician, I am slow to attempt interpretation of data that I did not generate myself without first asking a LOT of questions about how it was obtained, and the details of all pertinent parameters.  Having said that, it seems reasonable that it should take a lot of rounds to bring down a bomber.  Consider how small the rounds were, and the distance to the target.  A very small error in the angle for a hit would result in a miss, so the vast majority of rounds would miss.  Also, the plane is moving and can absorb quite a few rounds before being shot down.  I would definitely defer to a WWII munitions expert over a mathematician for this topic.

Tom

If statistic is your backbone, you are the perfect man to interpret operation research, the mass of statistics the US did during WW2.

To interpret the doing from the battlefield as well the maintenance in all aspects. The statistic was the base of most decisions done.

Already in WW1 the US built up the preparation on math and statistic. As written by Buckminster Fuller.

My post concerning Flak, was initiated by the fact, that a multiple mass must be shot upward, to bring a tiny mass downward.

Overseeing the fact, that all grenades also come downward. In summary a devastating result for everybody on earth.

Hey Dr. K.! 

Welcome to the forum. I joined the forum for the same reason as you. I've saw a work of a modeller and I decided to get onboard! Looking forward to see your models! 

All the best from Portugal! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Welcome aboard @Drk although, frankly, I’m concerned that you describe this as a ‘cool’ group. Most of us are actually complete nerds. 🤣

I guess Nerds think Nerds are cool! 🙃

• Haha 2

Welcome - you will find this an unusual place on the internet as it for the most part adheres to the rules of normal society, and as far as I'm concerned that's cool!

However you've made the cardinal mistake of admitting to being either a medic or a statistician - everyone at the party wants an opinion - for free. You should have lied and said you worked in number theory. 

• Haha 1