ARBA Blohm & Voss BV 155 B1

This will be my first entry to the G/B . I had previously said i would be entering the MDC Arado 234 but when i examend the contents i found the resin glazing to be un useable and as i have not yet found a replacement i have decided to get this one done . Bought this on ebay over 10 years ago and its now a good chance to get it done .

Many years ago i built the BV 155C from Fliger horst.

It will be nice to have both together . 

P1000106

P1000107

The resin looks superb with only a few air bubbles . Decals are included  ...i wonder if they will still  work  (or ever did )

• Like 5

This should be interesting - I will have to look it up but I believe this is the aircraft originally designed by Messerschmitt and then the RLM forced them to pass it on to Blohm und Voss to complete. If so I gather that the design changed quite a bit over time and that this will be the middle version?

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

A very elegant choice. Is it 1:48?

Yes ,1/48. At this scale its got a huge wingspan.

11 hours ago, PeterB said:

This should be interesting - I will have to look it up but I believe this is the aircraft originally designed by Messerschmitt and then the RLM forced them to pass it on to Blohm und Voss to complete. If so I gather that the design changed quite a bit over time and that this will be the middle version?

Cheers

Pete

Yes Pete you are right, its a hand-me-down  Messershmit designed. I have previously built the C variant which is very different in a ugly way..I will have to get the Messerschmitt prototype to complete the family.

Cheers Alistair

• Like 1

very nice!!!!!! :thumbsup: I have one of these in 1/72nd, cool looking but boy she has a wing span, in 1/48th that must be huge. 

Will have to follow this one for sure! :popcorn:

But the MDC Ar-234!! :wub: .... I've been after one of them for years ... of course Zoukei-Mura will be releasing one soon so guess I'll now wait for that one. Surly it can't be that bad, may be the best way to fix it would be to recast the glazing to make a mould then smash mould new bit from clear acrylic sheet. Or if you're feeling game recast the whole lot in clear resin?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

very nice!!!!!! :thumbsup: I have one of these in 1/72nd, cool looking but boy she has a wing span, in 1/48th that must be huge. 

Will have to follow this one for sure! :popcorn:

But the MDC Ar-234!! :wub: .... I've been after one of them for years ... of course Zoukei-Mura will be releasing one soon so guess I'll now wait for that one. Surly it can't be that bad, may be the best way to fix it would be to recast the glazing to make a mould then smash mould new bit from clear acrylic sheet. Or if you're feeling game recast the whole lot in clear resin?

Hi Rich ,yes its wide  taped the bits together to get the feel of the beast . Its going to be a pig to work on when together .

P1000109

The mdc Arado was a disapointment . got it from new just after release and as modeling skills were still way off what was needed for a kit like this it whent into the stash without a good look over for problems . I will have probably missed opertuinity to get a replacement from MDC . I have given the parts a hot water treatment but the glazinhg is a complex multy part affair where all parts need to be spot on to work well . Iv put the kit back on the shelf and mentally moved on to alowing myself to get the ZM kit when it comes out .

Cheers Alistair

• Like 3

Hi Alistair

Great to see a Luft46 project joining the GB.

Like others on here I have the 1/72 version so am really looking forward to seeing this one come together. 

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Alistair

Great to see a Luft46 project joining the GB.

Like others on here I have the 1/72 version so am really looking forward to seeing this one come together. 

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat

1/72 scale will still be a display space swallower. I like to turn to the speculative 46 and I see you do to .Never been a better time as lots coming out in all scales.

• Like 1

P1000111

After the over night soak the resin parts are now free of grease  , 99.9% bacteria and are Mint Fresh ! thanks to the Steradent . Hope the removal of the bacteria help give me a nice smooth paint finish :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A nice little booklet arrived during the week . Dan Sharp , the auther has produced a comprehensive account of the 155 family with good quality photos and some colour profiles  Neil page (FalkeEins) gave book a good review which sold it to me .

P1000116

Assembled the 4 parts to the fuselage and the tail . everything has been pined to provide strength .

feel that the cockpit may be under scaled but looks full .

The prop blaids needed pins as getting them attached without would be near impossible.

P1000114 P1000113 P1000112

All going together quickly ....

• Like 4

Really unusual shaped prop blades, well I suppose if your aircraft is experimental then why not try different things with the prop as well !

I wonder what the idea behind fitting the Ford transit van exhaust system was ?

• Like 1

It is taking the exhaust back to the turbocompressor, as the P-47 does but under the floor.

PS  As, it occurs to me now, the BV.155C did, as Vogt tried to shake off the remnants of the Messerschmitt design which he thought not strong enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Really unusual shaped prop blades, well I suppose if your aircraft is experimental then why not try different things with the prop as well !

I wonder what the idea behind fitting the Ford transit van exhaust system was ?

Intresting question Pat . Im not sure but as a guess its to "grab " as much as the thin air at the higher altitudes that the aircraft was desighned to operate at .  The blades of the Fw 190 d  and Ta 152 were rather broad but not to this extent .Cheers Alistair

• Like 1

yeah at the altitude it was planned to fly at it needed as much prop surface area as it could get.

The Ford Transit van exhaust was more for space or lack of space requirements, the set up on the Thunderbolt though similar did result in a rather chunky fuselage. Even at really high altitudes a nice streamline fuselage dose have benefits and complications to go with it.

Gosh that fuselage does look really neat and tidy Alistair, well done. Those new pins on the props are the only way to got, white metal pins arn't the best!

• Like 1

Afaik the BV155 as started by Messerschmitt was intended as a naval fighter using BF109 components, but when passed to Blom and Voss was intended as a high altitude interceptor.  

I think the huge ducts are to drive a two stage supercharger and were  so large to be able to function at high altitudes.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Not quite.  The Me.155 as started by Messerchmitt had two projected versions, the first being basically a navalised Me.209-II fighter (as it was at that stage, with a new wing but a Bf.109G fuselage) and the other having an extended wing for high altitudes.   Messerschmitt then passed the naval version over to the French industry and continued project-developing the high-altitude fighter with ever-larger wings, and various radiator arrangements, before then handing it over to Blohm und Voss in more or less the design that we see.  Richard Vogt was not impressed and instigated a major redesign as the more conventional Bv.155C, which was being readied for flight in early 1945.  The huge wing duct were mainly for cooling.  As shown by the Ta 152H, and many others, even high altitude fighters don't need ducts that size.

For more detail of the early (and later) design stages find (if you can) the Monogram profile booklet on the type.  I don't think that anything else has been produced to match.

• Like 2

Thanks Rich ,Mark and Graham .

This is a very nice resin kit .The quality and fit of the parts is top notch .

I have figured that i can assemble and paint the wings and fuselage as seperate components and then attach after painting which will ennable easier handling of this massive beast with 425mm wing span . most parts have been attached and after a sanding of the primer will be ready to paint .  For my 155c version i used fictitious markings , however with this one im going with as found . The Secret Projects booklet has a nice profile .

P1000123

P1000122

P1000121

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...