When to apply oil paints

McG

I'm looking to blend oil paints into the base coat as part of the weathering process, should I do this before or after a) gloss coat and b) decalling. 

Should I add streaking at the same stage or before the final clear coat? 

I've started using oils myself - still experimenting and can't call myself an expert.

I would gloss coat and apply decals first, then seal the decals with another light gloss coat. After this, I use thinned oils as a wash for any panel lines I want to highlight. Further weathering tends to be more "smudgey" in character so is best applied over a non gloss layer - satin varnish works for me. I sometimes add oils (small amount, unthinned) at a panel line and stipple or blend it into the adjacent panel, fuzzing the panel line a bit. Panel tone can be varied by applying unthinned oil dots on a panel, then stippling the oil over the surface of the panel making them darker / weathered, or lighter / Sun-bleached as required. Streaks can be added by applying a dot of oil then smearing it with a flat brush moistened with your preferred thinner, brushing in the direction of airflow or gravity. If you over-do things it can be fairly easily removed or toned down with a cotton bud and thinner.

I mostly use brown black and white artists oils, mixed on a palette to make various shades of brown and grey - sometimes adding yellow depending on the effect required. Blue oils can add a bit of patina to hot metallic surfaces like exhausts and heat shields.

After you're happy with the effect, seal again with your final clear coat.

Best thing is to dive in and have a go - it's now one of my favourite stages of a build - it's remarkably effective and reassuringly easy to remove if you @rse it up. Try it on a paint mule first.

Hope that helps, at least until a grown-up who knows what they're talking about comes along.

Q