And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

Ready to put paint on a 1/72 Blue Rider vacform Nieuport Nighthawk, very generously given to me by a fellow BM'er.  I've been able to spend a few days working on it this week after a work-enforced absence from all modelling for around 10 months. I've scratched the struts and undercarriage, eliminated all the joint lines and managed to get a smooth Halfords primer finish.

I had the Humbrol Polished Aluminium rattlecan in my hand when I spotted the Halfords Polar White aerosol on the bench. I know, I thought, I'll spray it gloss white. That will help to give a smooth silver finish and help with the rudder stripes. Genius, eh?

The little model is now covered with the worst case of 'orange peel' paint that you could imagine, including on the upper surface of the lower wing between all my home-made struts. While trying (in vain) to sand it smooth I managed to snap all the centre-section struts from the fuselage. It's now soaking in Fairy Power Spray, but I don't expect it to touch the Halfords paint.

Quite bizarre, as the white worked perfectly on the 2CV door for which it was purchased. 'Frustrating' doesn't quite cover it...

Jon

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Muppet's Christmas Carol and Home Alone. And even then I haven't watched these for a long time so they may be rubbish nowadays.😀

I prefer 'Scrooge', the old b&w version of 'A Christmas Carol' with Alastair Sim. Never bettered, in my opinion. 🙂

• Like 5

One of my favourites which doesn't come up in the run up to Christmas, but usually makes an appearance over the holiday period, is the Albert Finney film Scrooge, the Movie. A lot of well known faces in it.

Plus a big yes, for It's a Wonderful Life. I like to see Clarence get his wings.

John.

• Like 4

Just saw this article from the Daily Express: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/careersandeducation/british-army-gets-emotional-to-make-generation-z-fit-to-fight/ar-AAOBC7k?ocid=msedgntp

Can anyone explain to me what 'feel authentic in the workplace' actually means?  The article does make me wonder about the future of the army.

On 18/09/2021 at 12:56, fatfingers said:

Most are far from being considerate drivers as they tend to stop, turn and pull out without any signals or warning! 

Isn't this normal practice for taxi drivers?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 593jones said:

The article does make me wonder about the future of the army.

Don't 'fret' as there are 'way too many' air-quotes used 'all over' that 'article'. 

To me, the overuse of quotation marks in the article makes me think it's put out there by some curmudgeons that aren't willing to accept changing demographics. 

Yes they don't make them like they used to, so adapt your hiring/recruiting to reality.

• Like 1

Royal Mail and/or particular a local post office. Ordered a kit weekend before last which never arrived, seller gave me the tracking this morning, parcel was dropped off at the post office on 13th and has never been seen on the RM system since so either it never left the PO or it has vanished into the ether...

• Sad 3

Builders/plasters/scaffolders (+any other trades you want to add) who do not turn up when they say they are going to. This is slowly driving me nuts as I like to know what is happening and who to expect when. I get that they are busy and that there are material shortages but they could at least have the decency to pick up the phone and let you know they are not coming... 

• Like 2

Hi

trying to reply to a thread here on BM and getting

the ' saving ' ......

and not posting anything ..... 

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

trying to reply to a thread here on BM and getting

the ' saving ' ......

and not posting anything ..... 

cheers

jerry

That's common and an easy fix, just refresh the page.

The trend towards smaller engines in cars, and  yes I know it’s not PC or environmentally friendly.

We are using a courtesy car this week while our Honda Civic 2.2 CDTI is in the garage, and it’s a hatchback with a 1000cc 3 cylinder ‘ go-cart ‘ engine, which is lethal if you are used to something with a little response. We are planning to change our car next year for something with a smaller petrol engine, but not that small!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

The trend towards smaller engines in cars, and  yes I know it’s not PC or environmentally friendly.

We are using a courtesy car this week while our Honda Civic 2.2 CDTI is in the garage, and it’s a hatchback with a 1000cc 3 cylinder ‘ go-cart ‘ engine, which is lethal if you are used to something with a little response. We are planning to change our car next year for something with a smaller petrol engine, but not that small!

Mine's got a turbo charged 1ltr 3 pot with 120hp. It goes rather well thanks to the turbo, though it can lag on the odd occasion. When mine went in for a service recently i got a small go cart with 64hp and no turbo. Had to rev the nuts off it to get going from a stop! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Peeps arriving at theatre/cinema and the like with 1 second to go and then squeezing past without one word of apology, hurrumph…

SD

That's a legendary hurrumph from football fans, but at the end of the game. People leaving early to beat the traffic but end standing in front of you when there's a bit of goalmouth action. Either sit down or go quickly, just get out of people's way.

• Like 3

CNC machine programming woes!

Adjusting tolerances by 0.01mm making enormous changes to the tool-paths. (Part is ~600mm long)

Would honestly just be quicker to do it by hand sometimes.

Very buggy software as it's a relatively new piece of software but even so!

spacer.png

• Confused 1

On 9/21/2021 at 1:03 PM, 593jones said:

Can anyone explain to me what 'feel authentic in the workplace' actually means?

It means being able to be yourself and not be frightened or embarrassed about showing your true values, personality, hobbies, working style or relationships.

It's not a bad idea in itself, the problem comes when your authenticity does not align with the organisation's needs.  To use an extreme example, believing in pacifism is clearly going to be an enduring problem for the army.  And working as a team inevitably means giving up some personally preferred behaviours so the team can function effectively, though this isn't the same as feeling you have to disguise who you are.

Courier companies who wait until you are 50 miles from home before sending you a text to tell you that your package (which you were told by the seller wasn't due until later in the week) is out for delivery and will arrive within the next two hours (and needs to be signed for).

Then - to add insult to injury -  you get home and find the package tucked behind the wheelie bin and clearly not 'signed for'.

• Like 3

Brickies have been doing my head in at the moment and they haven't even started work yet!  On Wednesday evening my landlady phoned me to say that work to repair a collapsing stone garden wall will begin 8am next Monday and a skip will have to be placed in our shared car park that morning. There is a narrow lane that goes from the car park to the main road and when fuel tankers and big lorries come down to the car park, they have to reverse down the lane into the first space, or stop in the lane. I told my neighbours what would be happening and that I would need that first space for the skip from Monday until Friday next week. Fine so far.

Last night I got a text from my landlady to say that the brickies had checked out the space for the skip and decided it wouldn't be suitable (I say it would, having been used for that purpose before and once even had a JCB parked there for a week). I told the neighbours that I wouldn't need the parking space now and I thought that was the end of the matter. I went to bed at 5am this morning after a long modelling session and at 8am the door bell rings. I got dressed went downstairs and the brickies are there to say that a skip is arriving today, Friday! I had to inform neighbours of the change in plan (again) and make sure that the space was coned off to prevent anybody parking there! Grrr!

Despite the bit of aggro so far, I have no worries about the actual wall repairs as the brickies are very good at doing walls!

Dave

• Sad 1

Random ill-informed pigeon fancying pedestrians who think that they are Undercover Volunteer Traffic Wardens.

Both my wife and I hold current Blue Parking Badges.

Earlier this year the local council partitioned an area of High Street which had previously been under double yellow lines into two 'nose in' disabled parking bays but for whatever reason rather than equally divide the space the contractor made one normal width and the other slightly wider than normal width but nonetheless both properly signed and marked as single bays.

Earlier this week I was parked in the wider of the two waiting for my wife when this seemingly normal passing pedestrian popped his head in the open passenger window (well, as normal as anyone who pops their head through your open car window uninvited) and asked if I was aware that I was taking up two parking bays.

Replied that I was not and that the bay was signed for only one car and while perhaps wider that normal would not hold two cars , he however was politely insistent and got me wondering if I was wrong so I got out the car to check.

I pointed out the lines on either side of the bay , the 'DISABLED' wording on the roadway , the wheelchair marking underneath and the nearby signage that showed it to be a single parking bay and the actual lack of space to fit a second car in at which he started to get a bit ratty,  asked if I was suggesting he was blind and threatened to take a photo of me and send it to the council which I encouraged him to do as it would merely confirm that he was wrong.

At that point a complete and total meltdown followed , shouting , swearing , threatening , absolutely OTT , advancing on me while bouncing up and down inviting me to hit him which started to ring a bell although as he was wearing a mask I could not recognise him.      Stood my ground with hands in pockets while he ranted until I mentioned that I had spent my working life locking up people like him and it was one thing that I occasionally sorely missed in retirement at which point he retreated into a nearby close-mouth , pulled the gate shut behind him and resumed his torrent of abuse adding that he remembered me now and that we had met before , then he ran off presumably through to the next street.

The lads from the nearby Turkish Barbers were out for a breather nearby and were in stitches but had obviously witnessed this before as they encouraged me to ignore him , not worth the trouble , he will get bored and go away again.

The bouncing up and down inviting harm and the comment that we had met before made me realise that a few years ago my neighbour and I were finding heaps of birdseed dumped in our driveways during the night encouraging feral pigeons during the day , narrowed the timing down we lurked one evening to challenge the culprit.      The same guy duly arrived and we stopped him in mid-throw and got the same OTT reaction and repeated invitations to hit him , he did however calm down enough to start to offer an explanation about the NHS (Health Centre Car park backs onto the street) needing taught a lesson for encouraging the pigeons to annoy people.      My response was to explain that while I was a cop I was paid to listen to idiotic rantings but my pension no longer financed that service , so he got into the car that he had been denying was his and roared off rather erratically and at speed.

Took his photo and of his car as he got back in and due to his manner reported him to the Police as a possible drink-driver , they arrived shortly thereafter and said that he had been traced by another crew  to his home in a village about ten miles away but although his car engine was warm he denied having been out the house that evening , showed them the photo which they passed on and confirmed it was indeed him so was duly breathalyzed but came back negative while still denying having been anywhere near here and denied all knowledge of the seed throwing.

Never got any more seed dumped in our drives but he continued to travel down here daily for a couple of years dumping it in other more public parts of the street , best that anyone could ever make of it was that in the street backing onto ours there was a neighbours dispute over feeding the flying vermin and that he was friendly with one of the warring parties and this was intended somehow to support his friend's position.

Can only imagine that with his unprepossessing stature and equally short fuse that he has collected a fine collection of second prizes over the years.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

The Beeb for turning  non-story into a mass frenzy. Where was the issue with a few filling stations receiving their regular delivery late and being out of fuel for a day or two? I doubt many had noticed before this mornings news. 

There is one guaranteed outome to the use of the words "There is no need to P...."

A non-story becomes "You heard it here first"

Yes, 'cause you started it.

Wonder if we can we get them to start panic buying on Salt?

• Like 4

• Mike locked this topic