And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

9 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Motorbikes or rather one particular one ridden by a local cretin. Got an exhaust that sounds like Thor himself farting through a loudspeaker and has been doing laps most days for the past week or so……

Oh, I so agree with you. One of these sub 25's comes through our village like a bat out of hell. Single cylinder, 4 stroke trials bike. I'd love to throw a stinger out, just before he comes roaring through.

John.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Motorbikes or rather one particular one ridden by a local cretin

Yes that and modified car exhausts. I know they can sound cool, but lets keep them for track days and the like - not residential areas! Last week I was woken at 3am by some idiot with a modified system coupled with multiple backfires. Sounded like WWIII had erupted! But a solution may be coming

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/107097/new-noise-cameras-to-target-loud-car-exhausts

Cheers

Colin

Hear! hear!

Since this blooming pandemic and the first lockdown, it's sounded like I live next to the Nürburgring. If I ran the country there'd be a legal sound threshold for vehicles on public highways that would be part of the MOT.

And on another grump, why is it whenever any model is announced or mentioned, particularly in the rumours thread can people just not resist stating that they wish something else often completely different would be released?

"A new Sherman tank kit is being released next month by manufacturer A in 1/35".

"Great, but I wish they should release a 1/72 kit of a Spitfire".

🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Filler said:

And on another grump, why is it whenever any model is announced or mentioned, particularly in the rumours thread can people just not resist stating that they wish something else often completely different would be released?

Ah, a kindred spirit. My thought when that happens is put it in whatever section exists for you to talk about your wish list.

Back to noisy exhausts. One of the local farm workers (who starts early and sometimes finishes late....very late), drives through the village in a Peugeot estate which was built before Napoleon was born, with a modified exhaust. It's been modified by corrosion. I'd love to see if his CT (MOT cert) is up to date.

John.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ckw said:

Yes that and modified car exhausts. I know they can sound cool,

They really don't. At worst they sound like there's a hole in the silencer, at best they attract a reaction along the lines "Where's that Ferrari I hear? Oh it's not a Ferrari, just Barry in his Corsa. What a prat"

• Haha 7

A couple of years ago, good friends, a lovely retired couple about our age, sold their home on 15 acres across the creek from us, which included a fantastic garden. The sort of garden open periodically under the O.G Scheme and which featured in gardening magazines.

It was purchased by a young couple with kids, who promptly got in a Bobcat and dug a track all round the acreage, on which he and the older son disport themselves on their motorbikes . The 4-stroke isn't so bad but the bloody 2-stroke sounds like a wasp in a bottle.

While not as frequent as when they moved in, lockdown has provided more time, other than weekends, to make the life of the neighbourhood bloody purgatory ! At times when they have had parties with friends of similar interest, the racket has been so loud as to render conversation, even within a foot of each other, impossible for my wife and me.

Complaints to council, e.p.a and noise abatement have seen the motorbike use reduce a bit but not enough to be neighbourly.

As for the garden, that's just our friends' fond memory ! Bloody Vandals !!

Rog the P......d Off !!!

Edited by roginoz
can't spell my own name ! :o[
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

a Peugeot estate which was built before Napoleon was born

Those 404 stations were awesome.  Built-in suspension control hatches that magically appeared after a couple of years!

(that's corrosion, in case it needed spelling out)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Flies. How is it that the wretched things can find their way into a house through a 1/4" wide gap, but can't get out again through open patio doors and instead persist in banging into the window they've just come in by :angry:

• Haha 13

6 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Flies..............

Answers for Victor, on a postcard please, addressed to the dark side of the moon!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Flies. How is it that the wretched things can find their way into a house through a 1/4" wide gap, but can't get out again through open patio doors and instead persist in banging into the window they've just come in by :angry:

Also moths.

If they like light so much, why don't the just come out during the day? 😁

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, -Ian- said:

If they like light so much, why don't the just come out during the day?

You've been watching Qi again, haven't you?

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

You've been watching Qi again, haven't you?

Much older than that, think it was a 40 year old Jasper Carrot joke originally 😆

• Like 2

Watching the bus I wanted to get driving past the bus stop

4 minutes early

I was only about 10 seconds from the bus stop and the bus was early

Due at 10.52 it went by at 10.48

Have to wait till 13.40 for the next one

• Sad 3

"FOR SALE: One set of 3-series indicator lights, as-new condition, never used. Also avaliable: one complete set of mirrors, surplus to requirements." 😁

Edited by Ade H
  • Haha 5

This is going to seem strange - both what's happening and the fact that I'm a bit grumpy about it.

Our neighbours and us share a hedge between our two driveways. We get on ok-ish, although we'd never be best friends, and we've never had any real disagreements. Just neighbours really.

But (you just knew that was coming) Mr Next Door has got into the habit of coming into our drive and trimming our side of the hedge - for the first couple of metres of hedge from the road. The first time he did it I just thought it was odd, the second time funny but after the third time I'm getting a bit cheesed off. My guess is that he does it so that anyone approaching his house will see a very neat hedge from either direction. I tend to cut our side of the hedge twice a year whereas he's doing it every few weeks. My method clearly isn't up to his standard.

I know it seems odd to have a grump about a hedge being kept (very) neat but I've never come across this before and now I just think 'but that's my bit of the hedge'. I have no intention of talking to them about it although I did mention it to their other neighbours when I was walking my dog. They thought it was a strange thing to be doing.

The hedge probably won't grow much now until the spring so he may not appear for the next six months or so. I can probably put away my grumpiness until then I suppose.

Mark

• Like 2

A modelling grump. Spotmodel emailing me a newsletter and in it are a load of cracking decal sets. The problem being that they are for Tamiya bike kits that aren't in production anymore and only available from ebay for about 3 or 4 times their usual price.😭😀

• Like 1

And I bet that they're not cheap decals either. I just looked up a set from a different retailer for a 911 GT3R: £36. The kit was only £25!

Edited by Ade H
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ade H said:

"FOR SALE: One set of 3-series indicator lights, as-new condition, never used. Also avaliable: one complete set of mirrors, surplus to requirements." 😁

I still maintain BMW has a spelling error on their standard car lease forms, where they've typed EGO instead of ECO.

--

Gripe:  Ads. 

I mean.... 

y4mC-j-dBWDkIVRx88MnWVeDNECMZYcv6vfQN4Yg

Really?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Ade H said:

And I bet that they're not cheap decals either. I just looked up a set from a different retailer for a 911 GT3R: £36. The kit was only £25!

They're not actually that stupidly priced but do I buy and hoard them in the hope that Tamiya re-release the kits or just hope they are on the market for a long time. (I could just not buy stuff I don't need of course.😀)

Day before we go on holiday for 9 days with extended family, we have a phone call/txt advising of a fraudulent transaction on the wifes debit card! 

Turns out that in the last few days, the wifes card has somehow been cloned, and they decided to avail themselves of Netflix! Might have gone un-noticed if it was not for the fact that we now get our Netflix through our Sky account and thus no longer pay a separate monthly fee, nor the fact that (according to our bank) we don't live in The Netherlands, which is where the transaction originated from! Sadly her debit card has now been cancelled (and shredded) and a new one has to be issued. Due to the amount of scam texts that come through, I managed to stop her ringing the number that was on the text and just (and I mean just...) before she gave out any personal information as they asked her for her bank account information! She decided to hang up, and re-dial using the number on the back of her bank card instead! Turns out the text was legit as the bank confirmed they sent the text, but in my book - better to be safe than sorry! Just an absolute pain in the posterior that we now have to rely on my debit card for the whole week (we have separate bank accounts not joint thankfully!) due to this.

I have a feeling that this was a "fishing" exercise to see if they got away with it, and if they had we would have been stung with a much larger purchase. Thank goodness for the bank being on the ball with their online security! 

• Like 2

I'm no great lover of banks, especially the four that have a death grip on the Australian market, but I have to say that they seem to be pretty good on the scam detection. A couple of times in the last ten years or so the bank that issues my credit card has detected "irregular" activity on my card and cancelled it immediately, subsequently refunding any defalcation and issuing me with a new one. Although it was a pain in the vicinity of the sitting-down area at the time (I was without a credit card for about a week or ten days each time) in the longer term it was very satisfying to know that some low-life out there wasn't living the life of Riley at my expense!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Admiral Puff said:

I'm no great lover of banks, especially the four that have a death grip on the Australian market, but I have to say that they seem to be pretty good on the scam detection. A couple of times in the last ten years or so the bank that issues my credit card has detected "irregular" activity on my card and cancelled it immediately, subsequently refunding any defalcation and issuing me with a new one. Although it was a pain in the vicinity of the sitting-down area at the time (I was without a credit card for about a week or ten days each time) in the longer term it was very satisfying to know that some low-life out there wasn't living the life of Riley at my expense!

The banks in the UK will (most of the time) refund if you are a victim of fraud. Our bank has already started the ball rolling to get the refund sorted. As I said, it was literally a piddly little amount £6.38, but because they knew straight away with the transaction being in The Netherlands, and us being resident in the UK, that it was dodgy. Not only that, the wife had just been to the local shop 5 mins prior. So get from our address to Holland in 5 minutes that would be some speed record!

• Mike locked this topic