And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Probably forced into the road by the cyclists on the pavements!

Or the increasing number of illegal electric scooters! Here in Dorset the latest council obsession is to convert the county into little Holland by narrowing roads and creating cycle lanes the width of the Atlantic. Hardly used by cyclists but they are being occupied by yoofs on their electric scooters with their girlfriends on them in tandem but on the wrong side of the road so against the flow of traffic! A disaster waiting to happen as I’d hate to have my bonnet damaged as they bounce off it.

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, mick b said:

I’d hate to have my bonnet damaged as they bounce off it

Do what they do in the States, and treat them as a deer. When your about to hit a deer, what do you do? SPEED UP! Just sayin................

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Do what they do in the States, and treat them as a deer. When your about to hit a deer, what do you do? SPEED UP! Just sayin................

Could be problems if you tied them to the car as a trophy as I understand was common with deer in the US once upon a time.

• Haha 5

On 8/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, mick b said:

Here in Dorset the latest council obsession is to convert the county into little Holland by narrowing roads and creating cycle lanes the width of the Atlantic.

See that's the problem. Width of the North Sea is sufficient.   j/k

Just picking one element of an entire traffic system and plonking it down somewhere else doesn't work.

You're also going to need speed bumps, a 15MPh limit, and changes to the traffic laws to 'protect the weaker participants' so car drivers are automatically assigned a larger portion of the blame should one of those weaker participants decide to perform a YOLO action right in front of your car.

• Like 1

I don't know if the original post was about the piece on the news a few days ago, but the bit that I saw was absolutely ludicrous. They had taken a two  lane road, which wasn't particularly wide to start with, and put cycle lanes either side, with the main traffic running down the centre. Trouble is, the cycle lanes were almost as wide as the lanes for other traffic.........and not a cycle in sight. By restricting the traffic lanes that much, you are always going to have vehicles straying into the cycle lanes with predictable results. 

John.

• Like 1

Just remember that the new Highway Code is travelling in the direction of making car drivers automatically liable in all accidents for injury to more “vulnerable” road users unless they can prove it wasn’t really their fault. 

Case study example:-

The “idiot” :wicked: learner driver and instructor who were stopped discussing the lesson when this happened 

Just sayin :whistle:

Moral:- buy 360 degree video camera for car

• Haha 8
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I don't know if the original post was about the piece on the news a few days ago, but the bit that I saw was absolutely ludicrous. They had taken a two  lane road, which wasn't particularly wide to start with, and put cycle lanes either side, with the main traffic running down the centre. Trouble is, the cycle lanes were almost as wide as the lanes for other traffic.........and not a cycle in sight. By restricting the traffic lanes that much, you are always going to have vehicles straying into the cycle lanes with predictable results. 

John.

It's not just that. It means that all the noncycling (I was going to say vehicular, but that includes bikes, the police told me that for using a pedestrian crossing on a bike) traffic is confined to one lane down the middle. Remember the 3 lane "suicide" lanes in the middle of the road. It's like that, but much more fun. Bring on that suicide chicken!

• Like 1

We Dutch seem to have adapted pretty well to it. 

Maybe it's because we start out riding bikes in the first place, Idunno :P

--

That bloke though. Numbnut.

5 hours ago, JohnT said:

Moral:- buy 360 degree video camera for car

One ironically funny thing that struck me was the bottom of the screen where it records the speed. Obviously, it's 0 mph, but it's written as ooomph! Very appropriate in this case.

You can't even blame this one on the idiocy of youth. He looks as though he's in his 40s or 50s.

Something similar happened to my brother when he was about 18 (he's 82 now). He had a new Claude Butler bike and he was going to see his girl friend. She lived at the bottom of a hill and he was going down it at full pelt with his head down, just like that one in the video. Trouble was, just before the bottom of the hill, there was a tipper truck parked with no lights on and my brother went straight into the tail board of the truck. Ended up in Southend General for about a week. Bike didn't make it though.

John.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Quest showing the first two hours of Le Mans live today and the last two hours tomorrow,what about to the 20 inbetween....

Ahh, so what your really saying @Vince1159 is you like watching traffic!

Paul, ducking for cover.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/21/2021 at 5:35 PM, Vince1159 said:

Quest showing the first two hours of Le Mans live today and the last two hours tomorrow,what about to the 20 inbetween....

Oh, that's just a mislabeled standard endurance race then.

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Oh, that's just a mislabeled standard endurance race then.

Rallying/Endurance and Touring cars,motorsports which are the best to watch (can't stand F1) but i know what you mean it's all about the name the same as Champagne...

Edited by Vince1159

On 8/23/2021 at 6:39 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Myself, ultimate bane of my life is self inflicted problems, weeks of to a banger having destroyed my laptop  with a spilled drink........😭

I did something similar with a laptop and a bottle of liquid poly.  I prefer desktop computers to laptops anyway. :(

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The current fashion for beginning sentences with ‘ so ‘ :angry:

I find myself doing it too often. I'm not sure where it has come from but it is a nuisance. 🤬

• Haha 3

Clover, I hate clover. It's a paint to try and pull out of the garden. A friend suggested that my soil might be deficient in nitrate and suggested adding this to kill off the clover, so when I can actually go to the hardware store I shall try this.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The current fashion for beginning sentences with ‘ so ‘ :angry:

So what?

Sorry John, but I couldn't resist. But yes, I know just what you mean. Ian Hislop always used to moan about people who started a sentence with a conjunction. Just watch the news in the morning and just about every person who is interviewed will start their reply with "so". Irritating to say the least.

John.

• Like 3

I just got my regular newsletter from Hannants and noticed the all pervasive "may of, could of, should of, would of" has got to them too. It's enough to send pedants a-twitching.😀

• Like 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I just got my regular newsletter from Hannants and noticed the all pervasive "may of, could of, should of, would of" has got to them too. It's enough to send pedants a-twitching.😀

Glad someone else noticed that ... the sort of thing up with which I am unwilling to put up with!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Glad someone else noticed that ... the sort of thing up with which I am unwilling to put up with!

Sure you didn't mean "........up with which I will not put. " ?      :o}

• Haha 3

Clay.

Digging a new pond, almost down to depth and the spade hits a stone. Try another spot and another stone. 

Foot and a half down, and hitting the London Clay layer. 

Horrible claggy stuff full of pebbles, like digging a Topic bar.  Had to chop it out in chunks with a pickaxe in the end.

Took more.time for the last two inches than the rest of the hole all together.