And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Johnny Walkers sounds of the seventies being another favourite.

Same here, but I miss it this time of year with bowling on Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Johnny Walkers sounds of the seventies being another favourite.

Me too, but then that was my teenage years. I read somewhere that the music you listen to in your teens tends to determine your musical taste for the rest of your life unless you make an active effort to "learn" about other music. I have done this with jazz, but I also have a soft spot for 90's indie music due to a period of model making in my loft with Mark Radcliff and 'Lard' on Radio 1 for company.

There is very little in current music I get excited about - despite exposure to it from my kids who are all music mad. The only albums in my collection post 2000 are The Flyte and Anna Meradith

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckw said:

I read somewhere that the music you listen to in your teens tends to determine your musical taste for the rest of your life unless you make an active effort to "learn" about other music.

That's certainly not true for me. Being a teenager in the 60's and a big fan of the Beatles and Stones, I rarely play their music now. My tastes today are those which I picked up in my 40s and 50s, The likes of Gerry Rafferty, Don Williams, Pink Floyd, Genesis and my favourite, Tangerine Dream, are what gets played on my CD player, at home or in the car. Plus a large selection of classical music. As a teenager, I would never have been caught listening to Mahler's 5th.

John.

• Like 5

My computer these last few days.

I like to keep my 'windows' in a certain order. eg, the first has tabs for email and each of the modelling forums, the second window has tabs for my leatherworking, the third window has tabs for the news, et cetera

But these last few days my computer is shutting down these windows at random, then secretly re-opening them but in a different order.

I have to close each window then re-open it through the 'history' setting, doing several to get them back to my preferred order.

Its like that game where you have a frame with 8 squares and 9 spaces and you have to move them around to make the picture

• Sad 2

Flamin’ June! ( This should probably be in the ‘ weather ‘ thread)

This is our 16th summer in France and and it’s been pretty bleak so far. We emptied, cleaned and re-filled our pool at the beginning of the month( sounds grand but it’s just a 5.5M diameter above ground job ) in preparation for the hot weather. It uses a salt water system to produce the chlorine to keep it clean and requires 35kg of salt to start it working from scratch, which I duly chucked in. It has rained at some time every day since then, often torrentially and I have added about another 10kg of salt to maintain the correct level, which is all a bit academic really as the water temperature is currently about 17 degrees!

Rant over.

John

• Sad 3

The knucklehead that lives in the flat above. He came home from the pub with some mates, drunk at 00.30 hrs and started making a racket, shouting, banging and bashing. He woke the Mrs up at 00.55, and she wasn't best pleased.

He does this from time to time and this means I can't go to bed until they've finished, which can be 3 or 4am. Suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (amongst other things), I have to avoid stress and get sleep when I can. I doubt I'll get any at all tonight. Lucky I have antidepressants to take the edge off the anxiety.

• Sad 4

Things that come out of the blue. Visited a small town near me yesterday to see an insurance agent. Parked the car, started to walk across  the car park when I felt  pop in my left calf muscle. The pain was like being stabbed with a knife. Goodness only knows where that came from. I've managed to get an appointment with the GP at 12 today, but I think that all he's going to say is rest it.

John.

• Sad 4

On 6/30/2021 at 10:43 AM, lasermonkey said:

The knucklehead that lives in the flat above. He came home from the pub with some mates, drunk at 00.30 hrs and started making a racket, shouting, banging and bashing. He woke the Mrs up at 00.55, and she wasn't best pleased.

He does this from time to time and this means I can't go to bed until they've finished, which can be 3 or 4am. Suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (amongst other things), I have to avoid stress and get sleep when I can. I doubt I'll get any at all tonight. Lucky I have antidepressants to take the edge off the anxiety.

You should set up some speakers like in the movie Clockwork Orange and give him a blast of Beethovens Fifth at 4am in the morning with the speakers set to 11 on the volume dial. ( with SWMBO's approval )

• Haha 2

Topping up an EE PAYG mobile.

Used to be so easy when you could do it at a cash machine - found out late last year that was no longer possible.

Go on line to the ee website - select the top up option - should be easy...

Enter the number, twice for confirmation, go through the Captcha, four or five times, only for the web to respond with 'unfortunately we are unable to credit to this number'

repeat in-case I'd messed up with my own number, same problem.

Look for FAQ's on the website - advised to log in / register to My-EE. Try to log in & to my surprice I have an account, don't recall setting it up but it's a password I would have used.

No help as there's no suitable links in my account but go to the help & support

There is a Link with instructions on how to top up - read it and there's a hidden link follow that and the screen starts to look familiar retry entering phone number in belief that when signed in it will work

'Unfortunately...'

After looping again search the forum for help - only to be told to do what i'd already found out didn't work 

There's instructions on how to top up by text try it fail as there's no card registered to my phone, try to re-log in & I'm now blocked

Forum advises to call 150 from the mobile & talk to customer services.

Dial 150,  '... press 1 for mobile phones press 2...'

Press 1,   Customer services working hours are 8 am to 8 pm call back during these hours.

Give up, have 40 winks & go to work & call 150 during lunch expecting to have to wait in a queue.

Automated system kicks in press 1 for phone, press 1 for top up, what seems like a billion key presses later top up is successful.

Why can't the automated system be operational 24/7?

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Circloy said:

Why can't the automated system be operational 24/7?

In case it goes wrong (again) and there isn't a Human there to switch it off and on again.

Our Sky Q box, for no apparent reason, decided the broadband had failed yesterday. (My laptop was online and fine at the time).

So, turn it off at the wall, wait two minutes. Back on again. Auto reboot and oh look, there's nothing wrong now. There never was!

12 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

You should set up some speakers like in the movie Clockwork Orange and give him a blast of Beethovens Fifth at 4am in the morning with the speakers set to 11 on the volume dial. ( with SWMBO's approval )

I could muster a 1975 Fender Twin Reverb, an Orange AD30, a Trace Elliot bass rig (125w head with 1x15” and 2x10” cabs, an Orange 35w bass combo and a small 100w PA system, but I don’t think the rest of the building would forgive me!

• Haha 2

On 6/26/2021 at 8:19 PM, Seahawk said:

My hackles rise similarly when I hear Bristol described as the West, which cheerfully overlooks that there about another 150 miles of Great Britain west of there.  It actually barely escapes the gravitational pull of the Midlands.  Still, I think our London-centric media think you fall off the edge of the world somewhere around Swindon, which, as any fule kno, is in fact an outer suburb of London.

In actual fact there should be prominent signs on M25 junctions for people going into London. I suggest they should read: "Danger Hole in the world."

Selwyn

• Haha 2

On 6/30/2021 at 1:43 AM, lasermonkey said:

Had a similar problem many years ago with a noisy neighbour in the house next door playing music to all hours. At the time I was up at 4.30 AM to be at  work at 5.30AM . Complained to him a couple of times but matey wasn't interested.

So every time it happened  I made it my business to lean on his doorbell  at  about ten to five until he answered, When he sleepily moaned about it I pointed out that if he  kept me up  to the small hours being noisy  he could have no complaint when I woke him up  at 5AM. He soon got the message.

Selwyn

• Haha 6

It's the end of the English language as we know it!

My Wife went shopping last week and brought home a packet of these

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRD3C9xSOQsTsauHTlzP

Note that it says BRITISH in capitals. yet it also says 'chips'. Now chips come from the chip shop. These packets contain CRISPS!

This is a Plymouth, Devon based company! Someone organize a lynch mob, quickly! :angry: 

BTW, what exactly does 'Hand Cooked' mean in the context of crisps? Did someone let them fall into the oil through their fingers?

Oh, yes, they do taste rather nice.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

44 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's the end of the English language as we know it!

My Wife went shopping last week and brought home a packet of these

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRD3C9xSOQsTsauHTlzP

Note that it says BRITISH in capitals. yet it also says 'chips'. Now chips come for the chip shop. These packets contain CRISPS!

This is a Plymouth, Devon based company! Someone organize a lynch mob, quickly! :angry: 

BTW, what exactly does 'Hand Cooked' mean in the context of crisps? Did someone let them fall into the oil through their fingers?

But did you put the jam on first?

• Haha 5

Hi

Start of the week grump,

the fridge freezer failed and the hot water tank started leaking this weekend, finally my watch has stopped working 

pinched myself to ensure i felt pain and was still alive 

felt more pain when i paid for the replacement 

bye bye hobby budget for a month or so 

cheers 

jerry 

• Sad 5

On 7/6/2021 at 4:59 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

:angry: 

Usually mean they are batch cooked as opposed to long lines of machinery producing the chips/crisps in massive amounts. It's done on a smaller scale thus being called hand cooked, like kettle chips.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Usually mean they are batch cooked as opposed to long lines of machinery producing the chips/crisps in massive amounts. It's done on a smaller scale thus being called hand cooked, like kettle chips.

You would think that someone would have challenged the definition under the Trades Description Act by now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

Idiots that take the baffles out their scooters exhausts,noisy little pillocks.....

oh yes. We have one that rides around aimlessly & noisily in the evenings.....needs to get himself a girlfriend!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sinnerboy said:

needs to get himself a girlfriend!

Relax. He's working on it, that loud pipe is like a mating call for some.

• Haha 4

Well I don't fall asleep that easily as I have a chronic insomnia problem and this morning all I could hear was the neighbours doof doof music being played from around midnight til almost dawn. I just lay there with a pair or cold toes trying to fall asleep. Even after taking a stilnox tablet, it took a while to nod off this last night.

• Sad 3

The News, or rather, lack of it. The ex F1 driver, Carlos Reuteman has died, as has ex England and Ipswich player Paul Mariner. There have been at least three fatal air crashes around the world as well as many other untold stories on The BBC news. Instead, what did we get this morning? Wall to wall coverage on the upcoming game tonight. Even childish pieces where they got English and Italian occupants on a S. London estate, to take penalty kicks. The only break in the football coverage was when they mentioned the Tennis. Oh, and incidentally, I am a fan of football. All I can say is thank goodness I don't pay a licence fee.

John.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1