And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

The retriever would be more likely to lick you to death

That's one thing that drives me mad about dogs the way they jump up and start licking your face,they might've been washing their nuts for crying out loud....

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

People who take such exception to you asking them to call their dog back that they want to fight you.

We'd seen the guy and the dong coming

I hope that was a Freudian slip! Made me laugh though...

Ray

PS, I also have issues with dogs loose and not called to heal or put back on their lead when they get near me. Especially after an incident with one that almost cost me the ability to have an heir. 

4 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

That's one thing that drives me mad about dogs the way they jump up and start licking your face,they might've been washing their nuts for crying out loud....

.. no "might"  about it ....  :poop::dog:

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 9:18 PM, IanHx said:

I'm sorry, but its just not a streaker if a policeman's helmet doesn't have to be strategically positioned !!!

Ah, Erica and her Roes....an adolescents dream!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ray S said:

I hope that was a Freudian slip! Made me laugh though...

Ray

PS, I also have issues with dogs loose and not called to heal or put back on their lead when they get near me. Especially after an incident with one that almost cost me the ability to have an heir. 

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out.

Ive been bitten by three dogs so far, and have had countless others go for me. The first dog took a chunk out of my knee, just after I was told he was “just being friendly.” I believe the father of the family took the dog to the vets that evening, as it was never seen again. The other two times I was cycling. One got away with it, the other came off a little worse.

I’m not massively keen on them, it has to be said.

5 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

That must have awfully big dogs or very small people on Guernsey :D

Actually licking nuts is the least of the worry. It’s the other bits they lick 👅 

More seriously we always lead walk our 2 German Shepherds. We are conscious that the sight of us and two big dogs can make people nervous.  Well you’ve not seen Mrs T.  Responsible dog owners do think of others but like all walks of life there are complete idiots who don’t 

One nice story is a guy who was working on our house was scared of German shepherds. On the second day he made the big mistake of trying to get distance from our boy by picking up and throwing his ball across the field where the house is going up. He had a new job for the rest of the day and a new best friend. He’s not afraid of a certain dog any more who has adopted him as new family

• Haha 4

When we first bought our house, it had no central heating, so we got this bloke in to install it. Our chocolate lab was a real people person. He just hated other dogs. One day when the heating installer was working upstairs, Jasper (the lab) couldn't be found. I went upstairs into the room that the engineer was working in, and he was lying prone on the floor, connecting the pipework, and there was Jasper, lying across the engineers legs.....supervising!

John.

• Haha 6

Car retailers who use kids in their tv adverts!! Why??? Last i heard you had to be 17 to drive in the UK 🤬

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Car retailers who use kids in their tv adverts!! Why??? Last i heard you had to be 17 to drive in the UK 🤬

Regards,

Steve

"buy this car or the kid asks if we're nearly there yet"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Still having problems with our neighbour with regard to getting a new fence and repairs. Why have people got to be so difficult to work with? They cancelled our fencer, told us they wanted to organise someone else, then had 3 fencers refuse the job and another back out, they finally found someone to clean up their mess but he did a no show as well. They asked us to let this bloke in our side of the property because we were in a lockdown due to the virus, which was fine, but since he didn't turn up, mum msged the neighbour letting them know that we aren't always at home now and they might need to unlock their gate for access and the neighbour turned nasty.

They now have 1 month left before the settlement of the house and we no longer care if the sale falls through because they didn't carry out the required repairs and replacement.

• Sad 2

Zanussi oven door seal saga part whatever.....

It's been a week or so since I fitted the new seal. There was some heat leakage as it was thicker than the old one.

Her indoors noticed yesterday that a bit of Formica on an adjoining cupboard panel has started to melt!

An inspection this morning showed an extra 'bead' on the outer face of this seal. The previous (original) seal being flatter.

I fitted a curved blade to a Swan Morton handle and trimmed off the extra bead. Result, the door closes better, and no apparent heat loss.

Now I just have to repair the damaged Formica. Probably Milliput and spraypaint!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ordered a model diorama accessory from the USA last month it was sent fully tracked all the way successfully till it left Holland on May 11 then that’s the last I have heard ( regular email updates from USPS  until then ) .

no idea if it’s customs or brexit red tape that caused it .

lesson learned -now buying from uk suppliers full time regardless of price 

anyone else had had serious delays over the last year ..?

• Sad 1

@73north If you have a tracking number, check on ParcelMonitor. They seem to have the best handle on stuff.

Yes I have had stuff disappear off the face of the planet for weeks, but they always turn up. Had one take 9 weeks from Helsinki to UK.

A month + AWOL from USA is common.

• Like 1

Thanks "....will try that 

annoying though it is -

I ended up buying from models supplies limited in Surrey and it arrived in a few days "... after being out of stock last month in the UK .

things are just ridiculous with shipping delays now 

• Like 1

Totally agree on the dog thing. Particularly around kids - not long ago a friend of my daughter's broke her wrist when she was knocked over by a big (compared to her) dog that was "just being friendly". Nobody realised she was actually injured at the time, but even so, dog owners should also take note that a reaction along the lines of the dogs were just being friendly I can't see what the fuss is about really doesn't help the distraught kid or her parents!

• Like 2

On 10/06/2021 at 12:14, Vince1159 said:

That's one thing that drives me mad about dogs the way they jump up and start licking your face, they might've been washing their nuts for crying out loud....

Shouldn't be a problem if you wash your face before you let the dog lick it.

• Haha 10

On 08/06/2021 at 09:32, treker_ed said:

The number of depots my parcel from Hannants has had to go through before arriving at the local depot for delivery!

Collected from Lowestoft

Taken to Norwich

Taken to Cambridge

Taken to Hatfield (South East Regional Parcelforce Hub)

Taken to Milton Keynes

Out for delivery

Mind boggles at the number of miles travelled (just based on travelling from depot to depot) - 164 miles! Soon stacks up to a lot of mileage that our parcels are doing, especially when they do silly thing like taking them to regional hubs which are miles out of the way!

I feel your pain! 😂.

I am particularly fond of Vat 69. A very fine whisky blend.

It's blended in Edinburgh from malts distilled in Scotland (where else! 😂).

The three bottles I ordered recently came from Cologne from where they were flown to Coventry, flown to Edinburgh and then taken by courier to my home address.

Vat 69 whisky, blended 3 miles from where I live is produced solely for export....!

John!

On 07/06/2021 at 13:04, Ratch said:

Some folk like to be offended on behalf of others who probably weren't offended at all.

And then there are those folk  who will take offence at anything if it suits their own personal agenda to do so.

Actually, maybe that's the same thing!! 😉😂

John

On 07/06/2021 at 13:04, Ratch said:

Some folk like to be offended on behalf of others who probably weren't offended at all.

And then there are those folk  who will take offence at anything if it suits their own personal agenda to do so.

Actually, maybe that's the same thing!! 😉😂

John

2 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

...............came from Cologne from where they were flown to Coventry, flown to Edinburgh and then taken by courier to my home address.

Vat 69 whisky, blended 3 miles from where I live is produced solely for export

Appears mad, doesn't it. BUT! you knew there was going to be one..........as Vat 69 is bottled for 'export' that's the reason you can't just take a gentle, three mile stroll,

and pick up a couple of bottles at the factory gates. It's to do with duty or more specificaly HMRC. For export, the duty is either very low or nil. Still daft though!

• Confused 1

I don't think this particular gripe Is on here but what really gets me going is when newspapers describe somewhere as say Heathrow Airport West London,when its in Middlesex! Yes it is West OF London,It's just so lazy it's nowhere near Marble Arch which is in London. They do this all around the South East area. There's one today where someone was attacked in the street,it's Southall in Middlesex so they decide to call it the suburban district of Southall in Ealing West London! Grrr........Chris.

4 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

Yes it is West OF London,It's just so lazy it's nowhere near Marble Arch which is in London.

Well, actually…

After a Royal Commission on Local Government in Greater London, almost all of the area of the historic county of Middlesex was incorporated into Greater London in 1965, with the rest included in neighbouring administrative counties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesex

I agree with your sentiment, though. I live in Kent, and find it very frustrating that Bromley and Bexley are London Boroughs. Orpington is teetering, too. They’re in Kent! I was born in Surrey, and it annoys the heck out of me that Surrey's county town is the London Royal Borough of Kingston. I mean, what the hell‽ 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

I don't think this particular gripe Is on here but what really gets me going is when newspapers describe somewhere as say Heathrow Airport West London,when its in Middlesex! Yes it is West OF London,It's just so lazy it's nowhere near Marble Arch which is in London. They do this all around the South East area. There's one today where someone was attacked in the street,it's Southall in Middlesex so they decide to call it the suburban district of Southall in Ealing West London! Grrr........Chris.

Oddly, I have the exact opposite grump: people claiming that places which *are* in London (Heathrow, Biggin Hill, Croydon, Sutton, Kingston, Bromley, Orpington, etc.) aren't. As Heather posted above, it all changed in 1965. People often go on about 'postal addresses' (which are meaningless). What counts is this: is it in a London Borough? Do you vote for the London Mayor/GLA/etc.? When you call 999 is the Met/LFB/LAS which turn up? Who do you pay council tax too? Historic boundaries from decades ago are rather irrelevant, like trying to live by 19th century European boundaries.

I do share Heather's annoyance that Kingston is the county town of Surrey.

I grew up near Guildford, live in Croydon within eyesight of Biggin Hill (Bromley), and as a traffic cop in Surrey, know exactly where the borders between London and Surrey are - it matters!

Jon

• Like 2