And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

eBay. Specifically the constant emails for items I may have looked at or things presumably based on their interpretation of my browsing history. If I was interested in something, I'd either have bid on it or would be watching it! And as for their suggested items, just no. It's intrusive and annoying and I can't find a way of opting out of these emails without a blanket ban on all emails regarding  special offers, etc.

Another blinkin' pain in the backside is how searches for specific items can be dumped in a certain category that is almost always too limiting and can miss the majority (and sometimes all of) the things I'm looking for. I have to re-do the search after selecting "all categories" from the drop down list in order find everything relevant. I'm sure they think they're being helpful, but they're anything but. Slightly related is their overriding my search with a "did you mean ------?" search of their own. No I bloody didn't! I can spell, you know!

Maybe more serious, it can be nigh-on impossible to report fraudulent, incorrect or misleading listings, as the drop-down menu contains very few options, none of which are relevant. It's almost like they don't want you to..........

• Like 5

Drivers who indicate for a right turn in a wide road, then pull across to the left gutter, thus blocking the road completely.

Instant fail on test, and would have had a severe jolly good telling off when I was teaching.

Sadly it's becoming more common.

• Like 4

Trains.  As a means of transport I hate, loathe, despise and detest them and their operators.  Today travelling from Bedfordshire to Nottinghamshire I've had to stand from Kettering to Nottingham with a significant number of non-mask-wearing individuals surrounded by baggage because there's insufficient space elsewhere in the charmless mechanised sweatbox for either.  The train from Nottingam also suffers from a lack of baggage space and trying to get two full, full-sized suitcases along a narrow aisle further encumbered by people who insist in trying to push past in the opposite directiin hasn't helped. 

The seats often appear to be designed by morons for mutants, and why do most modern trains have huge ducts along the sides meaning that if you're in a window seat you have to sit with your feet and legs displaced towards the aisle and the occupants of the aisle seats?  I'm going to need another holiday to get over getting to and from this one.

• Sad 3

Historical documentaries on television with slipshod research on the most basic details rather like the last person they might have thought to ask had read the Dummies Guide to insert here topic being filmed.
All too often what is on the screen and being heard is just…… well, rubbish.  

Just watched a documentary on battleships. Seemingly HMS Hood was Britain’s most powerful battleship.  And it was the equal of Bismarck too. Probably news to RN sailors on RN battleships. The Scharnhorst was sunk by British cruisers at North Cape. No mention of a certain KGV class ship at all. 
Bismarck was torpedoed by Swordfish - cue shots of any interwar biplane including a Hawker Fury (Nimrod?). Almost every second comment was in error and every other bit of film was of a totally unrelated ship that looked nothing like the ship under discussion 

For a programme that sets out to educate it and it’s type are lamentable 

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

@JohnT was watching a doc put out by an supposedly esteemed source recently, talking about Spitfires in the Battle of Britain, imagine my shock when I glanced up to the iPad to see footage of Pacific Fleet Fairy Fireflys…

Stu

at least it wasn’t the hackneyed stock film of our brave RAF boys in their Morane Saulniers on a pre war exercise with French markings :hmmm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JohnT said:

Stu

at least it wasn’t the hackneyed stock film of our brave RAF boys in their Morane Saulniers on a pre war exercise with French markings :hmmm:

That was just to bamboozle the beastly Boche into thinking the RAF didn't have Spitfires ...

• Haha 1

There really is no excuse for shoddy research. I sometimes feel as though the viewing public is being treated like a bunch of children......"they'll never know the difference". I saw a documentary a couple of years ago, about the RAF's night time bombing campaign. What did they show? Eighth AF B-17s on a daylight raid!

John. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My wife refuses to watch WWII documentaries with me anymore because I keep complaining about the commentaries.

Anyway.

My complaint for the day:

Perfume.

Some of the 'ladies' that come into the shop don't seem to know when to stop.

I had to open the doors the other day after one lady. It literally reeked for two hours after she left.

Is there such a thing as "Nose Blind"?

Where can I get it?

• Haha 5

There used to be a Staff Shop at Heathrow which sold mostly remaindered Duty Free stock which always included lots of perfume. Whenever there was a group of stewardesses in there trying out the samples the assault on the senses was enough to knock out a horse!

• Haha 4

The Spotify app has stopped working on my old iMac. That’s a bit of a blow, because I do a great deal of my listening whilst doing research, etc. Never mind, I’ll get a Chromecast Audio and connect that to my studio amp. Great, they’ve discontinued that too! Never underestimate  the public’s desire to go with convenience over quality *every time*.

Think I might have to go with an Audiocast M5.

Something that I've only seen here in France, small, two seater cars, powered by what I can only think is a refurbished Singer sewing machine. These cars are bought by some of the farmers, or other people who've lost their driving licences through D/D, as they don't need a licence to drive one. So this morning, in fairly thick fog, I got stuck behind one of these right at the beginning of a no overtaking area, which went on for about 1.5kms. The muppet driving it was doing between 35 and 40 mph, even though they can go a lot faster. That was the longest 1.5kms that I've ever experienced, and when I got a chance to overtake, I looked in the mirror and the queue behind me was endless. Couldn't you just strangle some people!!

John.

• Like 5

Hi

Found a used dvd i was looking for on ebay listed at 0.99 gbp

but over 27Gbp for shipping to canada .......

gouging or what ?

cheers

jerry 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Getting up to relieve oneself in the middle of the night, not bothering to put the light on and, not noticing that one needed to lift the toilet lid in order to proceed.....! 🤯

John

I raise you not noticing the bathroom door was closed and going head first into in ones haste 😂😂😂

• Haha 11

Filling out my COVID tracking details. Select e.g., ‘supermarket -Aldi’ then you have to fill in name of premises - ‘Aldi’ use postcode to get correct address, you are then asked was this in England, Scotland, Wales, etc…. 😡 Every time for the same day…

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Get your tree up, you know you want to! 😂

Funnily enough mrs fatfingers has already started to make noises to the tune of getting the tree down and putting the tat up! 🤨

• Confused 1