And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

14 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Better still read it - Dorothy L. Sayers was the best of the golden age authors.

Can't at the moment, my copy fell to pieces through use and I haven't yet replaced it.  I agree, Dorothy L Sayers was definitely the best, I've read all her Wimsey books and The Nine Tailors is my favourite.  Clouds of Witness is probably my second favourite. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ckw said:

The irony is that the extension would allow cleaner and quieter jets to operate

Just for my tuppence worth they should go back to water injection then they would have something to moan about (or be happy about whichever way you look at it)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I got to work at 05:00 this morning I found out that I had deliveries in Oulton Broad and Lowestoft.

Try as I might I couldn't think of a single thing that I Needed from Hannants! So I had to drive past there.

Oh the shame. :sad: Mea Culpa. 

• Haha 12
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

When I got to work at 05:00 this morning I found out that I had deliveries in Oulton Broad and Lowestoft.

Try as I might I couldn't think of a single thing that I Needed from Hannants! So I had to drive past there.

Oh the shame. :sad: Mea Culpa. 

OI !!  You mean you’ve forgotten all our Christmas presents again this year 🎄 

maxima mea culpa you mean 

( always knew the Latin class must have some benefits)

:D

• Haha 5

Children who, on the eve of their 22nd birthdays, complain that they weren't bought school uniforms when they were younger.  Oh yes you were, pal, oh yes you were.  And some of us remember going hungry so that we could afford them....

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

When I got to work at 05:00 this morning

Gosh, Pete, I don't envy you. Hardly worth going to bed! No wonder you look so grumpy in your avatar photo. 😁

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

In addition to my earlier post about Christmas, I'd like to nominate all those people who scream "it's only (insert) days till Christmas"

I'm afraid they tend to bring out homicidal tendencies in me!

If anyone sees an axe wielding maniac running down a street shouting "Here's Johnny", you'll know what's happened!😉

John

I dare not show you these bad boys I just had delivered! But they will stay firmly in their boxes for a good couple of months yet

51594172942_ea2d1e34d2_b.jpg

Ho, ho, ho!

SD

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Was at a gig last night in North Shields to see the fabulous Hector Gannet. Sell out audience of 300 people, and enough of them talking through the entire gig to be noticeable. Why go to a music event and then talk through the entire show? I don’t get it

SD

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Was at a gig last night in North Shields to see the fabulous Hector Gannet. Sell out audience of 300 people, and enough of them talking through the entire gig to be noticeable. Why go to a music event and then talk through the entire show? I don’t get it

SD

It’s so prevalent now that I stopped going to gigs. It boils my blood like nothing else and I’ve ended up “having words” with more people than I care to count over this. Even right down the front, stage centre, you’ll find people gabbing away. I wouldn’t stand for it. On one occasion, my “ don’t you people ever shut up?” got rid of a group of 8-10. It just ended up wearing me down though, and I believe that many go to gigs just to be seen or for the cachet. 

While we’re on the subject of gigs, what happened to competent sound engineers? I’ve lost count of the number of gigs where the guitars have been almost inaudible, the mix being all bass, kick drum and vocals. Just because you *can* make the kick sound like the Roland TR-909 bass drum, doesn’t mean you should. At one gig, the “engineer” had left the guitars on mute for the first five songs and it was only because I was right at the front that I could hear the backline (that’s the bands own guitar amps) over the FOH mix. What kind of muppet would do that?

Another concert-related grump is people that wait until the headline band and then push their way to the front. I have endured way too many rubbish support acts to have Johnny-come-latelys push in front of me. At one gig, a group of around eight pushed their way in, just before the main band started, occupying a space smaller than their group could comfortably hold. It meant that one of them kept bumping into me, but I had decided that I wasn’t budging. At one point he asked me indignantly whether I’d move, whereupon I shared with him my opinion of those that arrive late and expect everyone else to make way for them. He didn’t stay.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

It’s so prevalent now that I stopped going to gigs. It boils my blood like nothing else and I’ve ended up “having words” with more people than I care to count over this. Even right down the front, stage centre, you’ll find people gabbing away. I wouldn’t stand for it. On one occasion, my “ don’t you people ever shut up?” got rid of a group of 8-10. It just ended up wearing me down though, and I believe that many go to gigs just to be seen or for the cachet. 

While we’re on the subject of gigs, what happened to competent sound engineers? I’ve lost count of the number of gigs where the guitars have been almost inaudible, the mix being all bass, kick drum and vocals. Just because you *can* make the kick sound like the Roland TR-909 bass drum, doesn’t mean you should. At one gig, the “engineer” had left the guitars on mute for the first five songs and it was only because I was right at the front that I could hear the backline (that’s the bands own guitar amps) over the FOH mix. What kind of muppet would do that?

Another concert-related grump is people that wait until the headline band and then push their way to the front. I have endured way too many rubbish support acts to have Johnny-come-latelys push in front of me. At one gig, a group of around eight pushed their way in, just before the main band started, occupying a space smaller than their group could comfortably hold. It meant that one of them kept bumping into me, but I had decided that I wasn’t budging. At one point he asked me indignantly whether I’d move, whereupon I shared with him my opinion of those that arrive late and expect everyone else to make way for them. He didn’t stay.

I agree with every word of that. On a positive note, we have a brand new venue (shout out to The Engine Room) down the road that has a capacity of 60. So far, the 10 or so gigs I’ve been to there have had impeccable audiences - I hope it stays that way

SD

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

My partner works for Aldi and, she hates Christmas too!!, 😂

Mind you, she has already bought my present from Wonderland in Edinburgh.

All she said was its 2 big, red Airfix boxes!

I should perhaps not protest so loudly!! 😉😂

John.

Santa’s watching, you know!

SD

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

In addition to my earlier post about Christmas, I'd like to nominate all those people who scream "it's only (insert) days till Christmas"

I love Christmas. When it arrives, that means that Strictly has finished for a few months. Bliss!!

John. (Life time member of the "We hate Strictly club").

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Londoncentric grump. Bishop's Avenue, or Billionaires Row, in Hampstead used to have this reputation when I was younger of a place you would want to live if you had made your fortune. Now you drive through it and it's a mess. A constant building site, potholed roads and mansions that look designed by a four year old with crayons. Surely if money is no problem you would invest in an architect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Twitter. What a horror show. It's hard to follow, you don't have a clue who you are actually in conversation with and most of the time you are with millions of people shouting into the void. Long live forum set ups like this.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Londoncentric grump. Bishop's Avenue, or Billionaires Row, in Hampstead used to have this reputation when I was younger of a place you would want to live if you had made your fortune. Now you drive through it and it's a mess. A constant building site, potholed roads and mansions that look designed by a four year old with crayons. Surely if money is no problem you would invest in an architect.

They look even worse from the inside, as evidenced by this monstrosity:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/114884042#/?channel=RES_BUY

spacer.png

As the saying goes, 'Money can't buy taste'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Twitter. What a horror show. It's hard to follow, you don't have a clue who you are actually in conversation with and most of the time you are with millions of people shouting into the void. Long live forum set ups like this.

100% agree. Years ago I ditched Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and all the rest and I don't feel I've missed out on anything. If something is worth knowing it will appear in one of the proper news channels. Everything else is just noise. I do keep WhatsApp (yes, I know its owned by facebook) simply 'cause it's my kids' preferred method of communication.

At the start I thought social media had great potential, but its descended to the lowest common denominator in its user base and become thoroughly monetised.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ckw said:

100% agree. Years ago I ditched Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and all the rest and I don't feel I've missed out on anything. If something is worth knowing it will appear in one of the proper news channels. Everything else is just noise. I do keep WhatsApp (yes, I know its owned by facebook) simply 'cause it's my kids' preferred method of communication.

At the start I thought social media had great potential, but its descended to the lowest common denominator in its user base and become thoroughly monetised.

Cheers

Colin

I've never really touched facebook but twitter does have some good people on it, but because it thrives on outrage and trolling a lot of the times the good ones are either driven off or sidetracked by pointless rows.

It's a shame as, as you say, it could have had potential to be a power for good but just seems to be used to spread nonsense around the world quickly.

• Like 1

Trying to listen to The Band Played Waltzing Matilda by John McDermott and for some reason i have to sign into Youtube,untill a couple of days ago i had no problem....I wonder if they'd believe me if i said i was 56 and they already had my details (no,didn't think so)...

On 10/13/2021 at 3:08 PM, Vince1159 said:

I think it was Windsor Castle a tourist on a tour asked the guide who on earth built a castle so close to an airport being under the flight path..

That one's been doing the rounds for decades. It's a Windsorian urban myth, but a good one. 😄

Ian

(Old Windsorian) 

• Like 1