And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

On 10/6/2021 at 2:37 PM, Bullbasket said:

Internet sites that you can book medical appointments on. I booked  blood tests for yesterday morning and turned up on time to give very nearly an armful. Receptionist tells me that I don't have an appointment booked. I say that I do, and show her the confirmation email, and the reminder email that I received from the online booking site. She takes pity on me and arranged for me to have the blood letting. All fine, until I get an email from the online booking site telling me that I failed to turn up for my appointment. I finally find a contact address for the online company and tell them that I DID attend the appointment and would they like to see the results. A short time later, I receive a reply which is basically passing the buck to the testing laboratory. Don't you just love the internet??

John.

Well yes, you see John, how do I put this, it's probably because you live in France, so what do you expect..............

Living here in the good old UK, we have none of that stuff, everything is so very very efficient. It's probably down to that Brexit thingy I shouldn't wonder. Things were so much worse here a few years back ................... I'm sure they were ............... hang on ......... was that a dream ............... er, I'm sure they were.

Oh well, at least we all have good old BM to keep our spirits up!

Terry

• Haha 7

We do our blood tests locally ( Bellac John, probably too far for you ). Just turn up reasonably early, wait in the queue, usually 3 or 4 people, and when the deed’s done we get a code to access the results on the net that day and our doc gets a hard copy.

Simples.

John

6 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

We do our blood tests locally ( Bellac John, probably too far for you ). Just turn up reasonably early, wait in the queue, usually 3 or 4 people, and when the deed’s done we get a code to access the results on the net that day and our doc gets a hard copy.

Simples.

John

Yes, just a bit too far John. I get mine done In Melle which is 15 kms away, and have never had a problem before. Tests done, and then results appear on my account withing a matter of hours.

I have to say that I find the system here for making appointments rubbish. The NHS system books them for you and then notifies you of when the appointment will be. Here, you have to do it all yourself. I just wonder how the elderly who don't have smart phones, nor computers, live in remote villages with no transport systems, are able to get appointments sorted out.

John.

• Like 1

My grump - Insurance renewals!

Just had ours through for our Hybrid which is currently in the garage undergoing repairs! 

So, about 2 months ago, we discovered that some kind soul had hit us, and driven off (only found out after the fact and we believe after we had got home from the holiday when it happened). Got it confirmed by the local dealer, and they quoted £1900 + for the repairs. Had to go through the insurance to get it repaired. Ongoing issue with them as it seems that they have only given a partial okay for the repairs, but didn't bother to tell us that... They only told us that they had given the go-ahead to get the repairs done! Been in the garage since 10/09/21 and STILL waiting for the full okay to get the repairs done!

Anyway, last night the wife received an email from the insurance company for the renewal.............. £1700 + £3000 excess cover - Last year we paid just over £400 for the year for that car! I think we will be telling them where they can shove that quote and it wont be in a polite place! 

We've been doing some checks already, and we can get fully comp for the two cars we have for about £700! which is still less than half of what we've been quoted for the single car.

(Forgot to mention, part of the reason for the high cost of repairs is that the car had been in a previous accident before we purchased it, and had not been repaired correctly! We are having to bare the brunt and cost of that! We were not told of any previous repair work or accidents when buying the car, and if we had known about the accident, we would not have bought it!)

Edited by treker_ed
  • Sad 3

Turns out the reason for the huge increase in insurance for the one car is we are now classed (by this one insurance company) as risky drivers... This is despite the fact that neither incident is actually our fault. The first in Feb, we had our catalytic converter stolen off the car, whilst parked on our driveway! They classed us at fault as the police did not have anyone in custody that evening! The second is because some unknown person hit the rear of our car and drove off. Thus leaving us with the repair bill. Neither of which are legitimately our fault. 

We have now found much better insurance at under £750 for both of our cars, fully comp! The other company have been told where to stick their quote!😁

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 7

On 10/6/2021 at 11:07 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

eBay shops that don’t state they offer combined postage and don’t check their messages, just lost some custom and coin over 5 minutes work…..

eBay sellers not offering combined postage is one of my pet hates.

In such instances where the product isn't available elsewhere at a vaguely sensible price, I place separate orders a few days apart. If they're going to insist on charging me for 2 sets of postage it's only fair they actually have to pay that postage themselves. 😈 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, -Ian- said:

eBay sellers not offering combined postage is one of my pet hates.

In such instances where the product isn't available elsewhere at a vaguely sensible price, I place separate orders a few days apart. If they're going to insist on charging me for 2 sets of postage it's only fair they actually have to pay that postage themselves. 😈 

oh man I love your style, I will definitely do that next  time I get the chance

PC gone mad!

I read today that BA cabin crews have been told not to address passengers as " Ladies and Gentlemen " in their safety briefings.

The lunatics really are running the asylum.

John

PS: For Sale 15litres 95 octane petrol. Collect only.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

My Wife just bought a rug from IKEA. It come with (I kid you not) instructions!

Three pictures; Pic 1 Unroll it (really!). Pic 2 Vacuum it. Pic 3 Put weights on the corners for 72 hours. 

Phew, I can sleep soundly now that I know what to do.

• Haha 11

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Three pictures; Pic 1 Unroll it (really!). Pic 2 Vacuum it. Pic 3 Put weights on the corners for 72 hours. 

A box of tea bags I once bought had a serving suggestion on it - a picture of a cup of tea.  I would never have thought of that!

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

On 10/10/2021 at 19:09, Pete in Lincs said:

is it wall mounted or hung from the ceiling ?

• Haha 3

On 10/10/2021 at 4:39 PM, Vince1159 said:

I sometimes wonder if mine's in the same room as me...

Same room? You actually get to sit in the same room as them? What is this trickery you speak of?  Round may way the other week people were offering to swap a tank of petrol for a GP appointment! 🤣

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 6

So there I was, at 05:30 this morning, at a red light near Lincon Cathedral. Mine was the only car in sight.

Along comes a Muppet, walking his dog. He actually stopped and pushed the button for the pedestrian crossing!

I don't know how long he waited, the light turned green and I drove off to work.

Muppets. They're taking over!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Our local bell ringers. Bless ‘em, they’re awful.

I live opposite the church and ever since I have lived in the village, some twenty one years now, they haven’t got any better. If they have any technique at all, I would guess at “ first one to a hundred wins.” There is no rhythm to be found, apart from an occasional accidental and fleeting syncing. Every so often, all the bells ring in unison, which sounds far worse than you might imagine. 

Tonight it seemed like they were trying especially hard, but the harder they tried, the worse they got. I could almost sense the frustration in the cacophony. It was tempting to go over and have a kind word. 

It’s nice to have a hobby and all, but I really don’t think it’s for them.

• Haha 6