And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

Reminds me of the old Russell Brockbank cartoon in (I think) Punch. The monstrous Yank Tank is lined up at the petrol pump, and the bowser boy (Remember them? You must be as decrepit as I am ...) doing the filling job is saying to the driver: "Would you mind turning it off, sir? I can't keep up!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/24/2021 at 6:48 PM, JohnT said:

will leave it to the techy minded to explain if it’s good or bad coming down the line. 

I'm sure its an amazing thing for Microsoft's profit margins. Still... progress, eh?

Chris. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

The woman in front queued up to put a tenner's worth of fuel. What was the point? (She got it spot on 10.00 so I'll give her that😀.)

Saw a good analysis the other day that demonstrated that if controls were to be introduced it would be better to enforce a minimum rather than a maximum spend. This would result in fewer people filling up less often which is essentially the normal situation. Of course there would be a downside in that some people have to live hand to mouth in terms of fuel as well as rent and food so as usual those who are already disadvantaged would end up with more problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Pigpen, that's an interesting idea.👍 I know one supermarket near me has a £30 limit, which means it always has fuel but there is a constant queue, while another has no limit but goes from one extreme to the other.

Right, here goes! 
just boarded a train at Brighton on our way home to Newcastle. Let’s thinks this through for a minute

1/ Brighton - popular tourist resort - check

2/ Football on last night - check

3/ A lot of people relocating Sunday morning - check

4/ a lot of those folks (us) have a lot of luggage - check

5/ This train will stop at Gatwick - check 

So stand up and take a bow the genius who put this train on with NO LUGGAGE STOWAGE???

rant mode off

SD

3 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

just boarded a train at Brighton on our way home to Newcastle.

On a Sunday?! You're lucky to have a train at all!

Cheers

Colin

On 02/10/2021 at 08:18, Bullbasket said:

Does a bulk tanker for carrying materials like mortar, look anything like a fuel tanker?

John.

To be fair can’t really blame them. They were brought up by their Dads telling them a Hurricane is a Spitfire :D

• Haha 6

Viewing this UK fuel crisis from afar, it's both amusing to watch, and sad at the same time. Personal opinion is that it's not caused by the people filling their tanks, nor those who are just topping up with a few quids worth. It's the people who don't need to put any fuel into their vehicle. We've got two cars. One which we use most of the time to run around in as it's economic, and the other, which is a bit more powerful and has a tow bar, so is used to tow the caravan and the trailer when required. I always fill the tanks up when I refuel. I usually run the tank down to just below the quarter mark, and then when I fill up, I know that I'm not going to have to do it again for at least two months. Just because the level is down to half, why would I need to put anymore in? The computer tells me that I have about 350 miles worth left in the tank, which is enough to get me to the supermarket and back several times.

Mind you, I'd appreciate it if you peeps in the UK could have this sorted out by November, as I will need to put some fuel in on the way up to Telford. Thank you.:thumbsup:

John.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Right, here goes! 
just boarded a train at Brighton on our way home to Newcastle. Let’s thinks this through for a minute

1/ Brighton - popular tourist resort - check

2/ Football on last night - check

3/ A lot of people relocating Sunday morning - check

4/ a lot of those folks (us) have a lot of luggage - check

5/ This train will stop at Gatwick - check 

So stand up and take a bow the genius who put this train on with NO LUGGAGE STOWAGE???

rant mode off

SD

If it had been Northern Rail it would not necessarily have had toilets.  Apparently Northern Rail regard toilets as an amenity, not an essential.

Not a grump, just an observation having seen the Shows thread:

Happy for all you lot going to Telford,  but with  > 30k new cases a day there isnt a cat's chance in hell I'll be there.

• Like 3

My new bottle of mould making latex

I need to make new moulds of some game pieces

I've spent ages preparing the master pieces.

This morning I poured the new latex over the 9 pieces, then I went to brush the latex carefully over the pieces, to eliminate air pockets.

I noticed somat odd.

They've gone and added ammonia to the latex!

and it was reacting with the acrylic Astonish varnish I'd used to seal and gloss up the game pieces!

I think the surface of the game pieces will not be as smooth as I want but their nature is that a wee bit of roughness wont be too bad

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I don’t pop in here often, but I’d just like to mention internet banking. :wall: :angry:

I think you know what I mean.

You mean the way of banking when the banks close all their branches and leave people no choice....

Internet sites that you can book medical appointments on. I booked  blood tests for yesterday morning and turned up on time to give very nearly an armful. Receptionist tells me that I don't have an appointment booked. I say that I do, and show her the confirmation email, and the reminder email that I received from the online booking site. She takes pity on me and arranged for me to have the blood letting. All fine, until I get an email from the online booking site telling me that I failed to turn up for my appointment. I finally find a contact address for the online company and tell them that I DID attend the appointment and would they like to see the results. A short time later, I receive a reply which is basically passing the buck to the testing laboratory. Don't you just love the internet??

John.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

You mean the way of banking when the banks close all their branches and leave people no choice....

Yup.

To be fair, the computer at their end was trying to prevent fraud by locking me out of my account because I’d forgotten my replacement password from the last time - and that was genuinely someone trying to break into my account.

Still, my bank has nice human people based in the UK, and who are endlessly patient with the eternally hopeless.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Still, my bank has nice human people based in the UK,

So does mine it'd just be nice to be able to meet them once in a while...I walk with crutches and the only branch left open is in the middle of St Peter Port which is a pain to get to at the best of times....

• Sad 1

For decades I have hated buying cars !!!

Going to a garage, losing hours of my ever-shortening life  , feigning interest in all the petrol head details that go on and on , baffled by a interminable lexicon of acronyms when my real interest is something I can get my rather less than athletic arthritic six feet in and out of comfortably.

PCP on the current car is coming to an end before the end of the year , the garage I bought the car is no longer a dealer for that make so for the past couple of months have had cold-calls from garages some distance away each informing me that they are they only dealer for that make in my region and that they have been assigned my contract to deal with and need me to travel down to see them ASAP.     On the basis that if someone has to phone you to offer you a bargain it probably isn't their hard sell was not encouraging and as I was not prepared to do so instantly their interest sank quicker than the Titanic.

With the end of the contract approaching the finance company had sent the settlement figure last week while I was on holiday so the other day phoned the by far nearest dealer (not one of those who had been cold-calling) for the make , established that if within budget my intention was to go for a new car again , the key feature to me was the height of my current car but if they could suggest something else with the same ease of access I would be amenable.

Return call fifteen minutes later with the figures , same make and model but a different variant with a slightly different specification (mainly lacking the features of the current car that I never use) , monthly payment two-thirds of the current car , subject to current transport problems their next tranche of cars is expected week after next.     Barring a couple of very short follow-up calls regarding colour and detail matters the main business was all done and dusted within twenty minutes.

I no longer hate buying cars !!!

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Des said:

For decades I have hated buying cars !!!

I no longer hate buying cars !!!

Serendip is a wonderful thing. When i bought my current set of wheels I had no intention of trading up. I'd taken my previous car in to the dealer for a service (something I hate having to do, but with everything run by a computer these days, and the dealers having the only grey boxes that will talk to the one in the car, there's not much choice) and, while waiting to pick it up, the service manager asked me whether I was interested in trading up, because they had some demonstrators that they wanted to sell. Long story short, I had a drive in one of their demonstrators (a newer, sportier version of what I was driving), fell in love and did a deal on the spot. A week later, after the financials had been sorted, I drove away in my new set of wheels. I've never been so happy with a car! The only trouble is that it's now almost 6 years old, with just under 120,000 kms on the clock, which is about the time I like to update, and it seems as though the type's Australian agents no longer import the model I'm driving ... 

• Like 2