And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

2 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

but what the hell am I supposed to do about those windows?

I bought a set of cheap punches off Amazon - just perfect for stamping out round masks from Tamiya tape.

Cheers

Colin

12 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

The Daily Express used to have a cartoonist by the name of Giles. His cartoons were brilliant. 

Agreed! My dad used to buy me those books of his collected cartoons every Christmas. I loved them - they were so detailed with lots of things going on in the background. And the family never changed - including scary Grandma and poor old Aunt Vera. 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Went down into Central Manchester this afternoon, Was looking for some lunch  but everywhere was packed full, but eventually I found a place  just off St Anns square that was only about a quarter full.

Stepped in, looked around for a menu, nothing to be seen, so asked one of the bar staff. The conversation went as follows:

"Have you a menu?"

She pointed at one of those  small square scanny things posted on the wall.

"No I want a menu." 

"Yes just scan it on your smartphone and the menu will come up."

"Sorry, I don't have a smartphone. Can I have a Menu please?"

"We don't have printed menu's." 

"You are telling me that you are a restaurant that doesn't have any  menu displayed?"

"Yes."

"Well I must admit I was wondering why all the eateries  in the area are full and this is half empty. That probably explains it, good way to lose business if you ask me."

Puzzled look on her face.

"Oh and by the way that includes me, Byee!"

Selwyn

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

On 9/25/2021 at 6:30 PM, lasermonkey said:

Eduard and their sometimes baffling approach to their paint masks. In particular, the masks for the Hobby Boss Mil Mi-8. They don’t provide anything for the eleven circular cabin windows. It’s not enough that they wuss out and make you have to buy masking fluid for the bits that other companies seem to manage, but what the hell am I supposed to do about those windows? That was kinda the point of me buying the set in the first place!

What a cop-out!

I encountered some Eduard mask weirdness with the 1/48 MiG-21

On many schemes there is a small panel on the tail painted the same green as the radome, visible in the pic below the much larger green panel.

If you buy Eduard's stand alone MiG-21 masks a mask for this panel is included, but for some bizarre reason they chose to exclude it from the masks included with the Profipack boxings.

MiG-21MF-1998-tail.jpg

Edited by -Ian-

On 9/24/2021 at 7:47 PM, 593jones said:

Thanks, but why couldn't they have put it like that?  I don't think I'm especially dim, but the original wording made absolutely no sense to me at all.  Maybe it's an age thing, I grew up speaking English, not what appears to be the language nowadays.

Written by an HR dept that think that people "experience" work instead of doing work....

Maybe because somehow we're monstrous dinosaurs if we expect the younger generation to actual COMPLETE their work ??!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

HR is so yesterday...  People Services is what they tend to call themselves now.

Before that it was the Personnel Department. Commonly known at one of my places of work as the anti-personnel department...

• Haha 6

On 25/09/2021 at 16:47, jackroadkill said:

My job, my boiler, my shoes, my tumble dryer, my van, my deceased grandmother, my not-deceased father, my partner and my cat.

Other than that it's all effing peachy!

Now we've progressed to the absolute prune of a boiler service engineer who'd proclaimed that our boiler isn't fixable and will need to be replaced before he'd even got out of his van.....  He is also the same tool who tried fixing it a couple of years back and couldn't manage it then (because "It's knackered and needs to be replaced"), despite the bloke from the manufacturers turning up, hoovering some baffles off and getting it going inside fifteen minutes.

It's a good job I was at work and my other half dealt with him.  I might just have snapped.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Now we've progressed to the absolute prune of a boiler service engineer who'd proclaimed that our boiler isn't fixable and will need to be replaced before he'd even got out of his van.....  He is also the same tool who tried fixing it a couple of years back and couldn't manage it then (because "It's knackered and needs to be replaced"), despite the bloke from the manufacturers turning up, hoovering some baffles off and getting it going inside fifteen minutes.

It's a good job I was at work and my other half dealt with him.  I might just have snapped.

I just have one question. If this man is such a useless tool, why are you calling him in a second time?

John.

• Like 2

Jumped in the car, turned the ignition to be greeted with wooop woopppp pfffft and just like that the battery is dead. Great, 100 bucks down the drain tomorrow for a new battery. My first battery lasted 11 years, 11 damn years, the guy who changed it was shocked. Since then this is the second battery I've gone through in 7 years! Going to get a genuine Holden battery this time as these RACV ones seem to be rubbish.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Brad said:

Jumped in the car, turned the ignition to be greeted with wooop woopppp pfffft and just like that the battery is dead. Great, 100 bucks down the drain tomorrow for a new battery. My first battery lasted 11 years, 11 damn years, the guy who changed it was shocked. Since then this is the second battery I've gone through in 7 years! Going to get a genuine Holden battery this time as these RACV ones seem to be rubbish.

Someone from the garage that services my car told me ages ago that the average life of a modern battery is around five years,they're considered to be friendlier to the enviroment because there's less chance of leaks accuring in other words it's cheaper to make them...Like Biggles87 said above 'don't fix it,replace it',doesn't make much sense....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

"Don't fix it, replace it" seems to have become the standard mantra, it probably started with cars.

Cars/fridges/washing machines,you name it,we used to have a recycling centre over here where people could go and take parts from dumped ones but it was stopped for some reason,now all white goods get scrapped instead of letting people get parts to keep theirs in use..,Talk about the throw away society....

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

If this man is such a useless tool, why are you calling him in a second time?

It's a fair question - he's the guy my landlord uses (although I will be making polite suggestions about this).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

,we used to have a recycling centre over here where people could go and take parts from dumped ones but it was stopped for some reason

I bet it was because of health and safety - anyone who cut themselves might sue the authorities on some pretext or other

Cheers

Colin

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

"Don't fix it, replace it" seems to have become the standard mantra, it probably started with cars.

Ah yes - it's called  Planned Obsolescence. It's a standard manufacturing policy used by many (not all) product manufacturers. Products are designed to last for a given lifespan and then require replacement. It is meant to encourage peope to buy new items rather than hold onto existing products for longer. It's been around as a formal, documented concept for at least 30-40 years in the consumer world.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Filling station lunacy.

Not here thankfully, the only time there's any queu at our local one is Friday evening when the prices go down for 24 hrs, and then usually only 4 or 5 cars.

I don't know about drive towards 'herd immunity',  but it looks like 'herd mentality' is gaining ground in the UK.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

'herd mentality'

Or is it "herd daftness"?  I'm with Terry Pratchett on this; the IQ of a mob is the IQ of the thickest person present divided by the number of people in the mob.

• Like 3
  • Haha 15

15 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Cars/fridges/washing machines,you name it,we used to have a recycling centre over here where people could go and take parts from dumped ones but it was stopped for some reason,now all white goods get scrapped instead of letting people get parts to keep theirs in use..,Talk about the throw away society....

I too like fixing things rather than buying new. I remember years ago mum was going to get a new washing machine, but a quick search on ebay and 50 bucks later I had the machine washing like new. That thing lasted another 12 years until the gear box finally died last year!

Edited by Brad
  • Like 3

On 25/09/2021 at 12:40, Bullbasket said:

All this reminds me of the Suez crisis in '56 (yes I'm old enough to remember it). Petrol prices shot up to six shillings a gallon (that's 30 pence in today's money), and there were shortages. The Daily Express used to have a cartoonist by the name of Giles. His cartoons were brilliant. The one that he did for the Suez fuel shortage depicted a road tanker with no markings on it, with car behind it with  little old man driving it. The tanker driver has stopped, and walked back to the car and says, "You've been following me for the last 50 miles, and I think that it's only fair to tell you that I'm carrying milk!"

John.

It's deja vu all over again. On the news this morning, a tanker driver carrying mortar had a trail of cars behind him thinking that he was carrying fuel. When he got to his depot and got out to speak to the the drivers, apparently one of them turned around and said "You could have told us that you weren't carrying fuel!" Just how thick are some of these idiots. Does a bulk tanker for carrying materials like mortar, look anything like a fuel tanker?

John.

• Haha 6
  • Sad 2