And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

6 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Peeps arriving at theatre/cinema and the like with 1 second to go and then squeezing past without one word of apology, hurrumph…

SD

That's a legendary hurrumph from football fans, but at the end of the game. People leaving early to beat the traffic but end standing in front of you when there's a bit of goalmouth action. Either sit down or go quickly, just get out of people's way.

• Like 3

CNC machine programming woes!

Adjusting tolerances by 0.01mm making enormous changes to the tool-paths. (Part is ~600mm long)

Would honestly just be quicker to do it by hand sometimes.

Very buggy software as it's a relatively new piece of software but even so!

spacer.png

• Confused 1

On 9/21/2021 at 1:03 PM, 593jones said:

Can anyone explain to me what 'feel authentic in the workplace' actually means?

It means being able to be yourself and not be frightened or embarrassed about showing your true values, personality, hobbies, working style or relationships.

It's not a bad idea in itself, the problem comes when your authenticity does not align with the organisation's needs.  To use an extreme example, believing in pacifism is clearly going to be an enduring problem for the army.  And working as a team inevitably means giving up some personally preferred behaviours so the team can function effectively, though this isn't the same as feeling you have to disguise who you are.

Courier companies who wait until you are 50 miles from home before sending you a text to tell you that your package (which you were told by the seller wasn't due until later in the week) is out for delivery and will arrive within the next two hours (and needs to be signed for).

Then - to add insult to injury -  you get home and find the package tucked behind the wheelie bin and clearly not 'signed for'.

• Like 3

Brickies have been doing my head in at the moment and they haven't even started work yet!  On Wednesday evening my landlady phoned me to say that work to repair a collapsing stone garden wall will begin 8am next Monday and a skip will have to be placed in our shared car park that morning. There is a narrow lane that goes from the car park to the main road and when fuel tankers and big lorries come down to the car park, they have to reverse down the lane into the first space, or stop in the lane. I told my neighbours what would be happening and that I would need that first space for the skip from Monday until Friday next week. Fine so far.

Last night I got a text from my landlady to say that the brickies had checked out the space for the skip and decided it wouldn't be suitable (I say it would, having been used for that purpose before and once even had a JCB parked there for a week). I told the neighbours that I wouldn't need the parking space now and I thought that was the end of the matter. I went to bed at 5am this morning after a long modelling session and at 8am the door bell rings. I got dressed went downstairs and the brickies are there to say that a skip is arriving today, Friday! I had to inform neighbours of the change in plan (again) and make sure that the space was coned off to prevent anybody parking there! Grrr!

Despite the bit of aggro so far, I have no worries about the actual wall repairs as the brickies are very good at doing walls!

Dave

• Sad 1

Random ill-informed pigeon fancying pedestrians who think that they are Undercover Volunteer Traffic Wardens.

Both my wife and I hold current Blue Parking Badges.

Earlier this year the local council partitioned an area of High Street which had previously been under double yellow lines into two 'nose in' disabled parking bays but for whatever reason rather than equally divide the space the contractor made one normal width and the other slightly wider than normal width but nonetheless both properly signed and marked as single bays.

Earlier this week I was parked in the wider of the two waiting for my wife when this seemingly normal passing pedestrian popped his head in the open passenger window (well, as normal as anyone who pops their head through your open car window uninvited) and asked if I was aware that I was taking up two parking bays.

Replied that I was not and that the bay was signed for only one car and while perhaps wider that normal would not hold two cars , he however was politely insistent and got me wondering if I was wrong so I got out the car to check.

I pointed out the lines on either side of the bay , the 'DISABLED' wording on the roadway , the wheelchair marking underneath and the nearby signage that showed it to be a single parking bay and the actual lack of space to fit a second car in at which he started to get a bit ratty,  asked if I was suggesting he was blind and threatened to take a photo of me and send it to the council which I encouraged him to do as it would merely confirm that he was wrong.

At that point a complete and total meltdown followed , shouting , swearing , threatening , absolutely OTT , advancing on me while bouncing up and down inviting me to hit him which started to ring a bell although as he was wearing a mask I could not recognise him.      Stood my ground with hands in pockets while he ranted until I mentioned that I had spent my working life locking up people like him and it was one thing that I occasionally sorely missed in retirement at which point he retreated into a nearby close-mouth , pulled the gate shut behind him and resumed his torrent of abuse adding that he remembered me now and that we had met before , then he ran off presumably through to the next street.

The lads from the nearby Turkish Barbers were out for a breather nearby and were in stitches but had obviously witnessed this before as they encouraged me to ignore him , not worth the trouble , he will get bored and go away again.

The bouncing up and down inviting harm and the comment that we had met before made me realise that a few years ago my neighbour and I were finding heaps of birdseed dumped in our driveways during the night encouraging feral pigeons during the day , narrowed the timing down we lurked one evening to challenge the culprit.      The same guy duly arrived and we stopped him in mid-throw and got the same OTT reaction and repeated invitations to hit him , he did however calm down enough to start to offer an explanation about the NHS (Health Centre Car park backs onto the street) needing taught a lesson for encouraging the pigeons to annoy people.      My response was to explain that while I was a cop I was paid to listen to idiotic rantings but my pension no longer financed that service , so he got into the car that he had been denying was his and roared off rather erratically and at speed.

Took his photo and of his car as he got back in and due to his manner reported him to the Police as a possible drink-driver , they arrived shortly thereafter and said that he had been traced by another crew  to his home in a village about ten miles away but although his car engine was warm he denied having been out the house that evening , showed them the photo which they passed on and confirmed it was indeed him so was duly breathalyzed but came back negative while still denying having been anywhere near here and denied all knowledge of the seed throwing.

Never got any more seed dumped in our drives but he continued to travel down here daily for a couple of years dumping it in other more public parts of the street , best that anyone could ever make of it was that in the street backing onto ours there was a neighbours dispute over feeding the flying vermin and that he was friendly with one of the warring parties and this was intended somehow to support his friend's position.

Can only imagine that with his unprepossessing stature and equally short fuse that he has collected a fine collection of second prizes over the years.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

The Beeb for turning  non-story into a mass frenzy. Where was the issue with a few filling stations receiving their regular delivery late and being out of fuel for a day or two? I doubt many had noticed before this mornings news. 

There is one guaranteed outome to the use of the words "There is no need to P...."

A non-story becomes "You heard it here first"

Yes, 'cause you started it.

Wonder if we can we get them to start panic buying on Salt?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 3DStewart said:

It means being able to be yourself and not be frightened or embarrassed about showing your true values, personality, hobbies, working style or relationships.

It's not a bad idea in itself, the problem comes when your authenticity does not align with the organisation's needs.  To use an extreme example, believing in pacifism is clearly going to be an enduring problem for the army.  And working as a team inevitably means giving up some personally preferred behaviours so the team can function effectively, though this isn't the same as feeling you have to disguise who you are.

Thanks, but why couldn't they have put it like that?  I don't think I'm especially dim, but the original wording made absolutely no sense to me at all.  Maybe it's an age thing, I grew up speaking English, not what appears to be the language nowadays.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Circloy said:

The Beeb for turning  non-story into a mass frenzy. Where was the issue with a few filling stations receiving their regular delivery late and being out of fuel for a day or two? I doubt many had noticed before this mornings news. 

I think it depends where you live - last Sunday two petrol stations near where I live were closed and the nearest big Tesco was out of Diesel and regular petrol - only the expensive super stuff available. And the situation has not improved. Of course there are people panic buying now, which isn't helping, but after a week waiting lots of people are actually running out of fuel.

Cheers

Colin

13 hours ago, Circloy said:

There is one guaranteed outome to the use of the words "There is no need to P...."

A non-story becomes "You heard it here first"

Yes, 'cause you started it.

Wonder if we can we get them to start panic buying on Salt?

It's all the media sadly. The Daily Mail and Sun especially have been very scaremongery. Not sure why they are doing it but they seem quite chuffed with themselves this morning now we have a genuine shortage.

Worse thing is that my saturday work has finished so I was planning on going for a drive today. No way I am spending all day looking for garages.

And to make things worse we are going to have to look at all the super-smug faces of the electric car drivers.😀

• Like 1

This has been annoying me for a while .... all those TV ads (for many different products) which claim their product gives UP TO xx% better results. Up to? So it could be 100% better, but it could equally be 1% .... or for that matter worse results. The more insidious of such adds give a very specific amount - e.g. up to 73% cleaner - the precise number gives an air of scientific measurement to the figure but the statement is still meaningless.

Cheers

Colin 

• Like 4

Conversation or having one - as regularly said on the BBC. Eg Pressure Group saying that we need to a conversation with someone over issue X

A conversation is what I have with my neighbour about the weather. If Putin and Biden have a summit they are not having a conversation unless talking about their dinner, the dog, their families etc. 

There are perfectly appropriate words and a Thesaurus will assist there but dialogue, debate, discussion, even good old argument will do for starters 

Now I’m off to open a topic to start a “conversation” on why you are all wrong on the colour of Malta Spitfires:wicked:

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ckw said:

This has been annoying me for a while .... all those TV ads (for many different products) which claim their product gives UP TO xx% better results. Up to? So it could be 100% better, but it could equally be 1% .... or for that matter worse results. The more insidious of such adds give a very specific amount - e.g. up to 73% cleaner - the precise number gives an air of scientific measurement to the figure but the statement is still meaningless.

Cheers

Colin 

Or the other one, '45 out of 67 agree'    Agree with what? that it's total BS?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

It's all the media sadly. The Daily Mail and Sun especially have been very scaremongery. Not sure why they are doing it but they seem quite chuffed with themselves this morning now we have a genuine shortage.

Worse thing is that my saturday work has finished so I was planning on going for a drive today. No way I am spending all day looking for garages.

And to make things worse we are going to have to look at all the super-smug faces of the electric car drivers.

All this reminds me of the Suez crisis in '56 (yes I'm old enough to remember it). Petrol prices shot up to six shillings a gallon (that's 30 pence in today's money), and there were shortages. The Daily Express used to have a cartoonist by the name of Giles. His cartoons were brilliant. The one that he did for the Suez fuel shortage depicted a road tanker with no markings on it, with car behind it with  little old man driving it. The tanker driver has stopped, and walked back to the car and says, "You've been following me for the last 50 miles, and I think that it's only fair to tell you that I'm carrying milk!"

John.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

Decals, myself and google. Had a sqn decal disintegrate, not a big deal sheet had another option, so removed the serial number only to find its the same aircraft…..and Google’s not helping find a different aircraft in the same sqn livery……edit and also on that note the idea of stencil sheets, great idea untill you start using them and all sense of what’s what goes out the window

Edited by PhantomBigStu

We've been having intermittent fuel shortages at filling stations since January this year due to that special status we have

(I'll say no more about that as I like being on BM and don't wish to bring down the Wrath of Khan Mike but most of you know what I mean)

None of the fuel shortages got reported in the news media

Normally top up the car on Plod Pension Day which was the 15th. but put it off until yesterday as we are planning to get away for a few days and I like to set off with a full tank  . . . . .  felt like a right idiot although no queues involved but a steady turnover that was keeping all the pumps busy.       Explained how idiotic I felt at the cash desk and got one on those smiles that basically said I looked the part as well.

Eduard and their sometimes baffling approach to their paint masks. In particular, the masks for the Hobby Boss Mil Mi-8. They don’t provide anything for the eleven circular cabin windows. It’s not enough that they wuss out and make you have to buy masking fluid for the bits that other companies seem to manage, but what the hell am I supposed to do about those windows? That was kinda the point of me buying the set in the first place!

What a cop-out!

• Like 2

Junk mail.

I don't care how close your kitchen is, or how how far you will deliver your tripe.  Your menu, produced from stock photo's, won't entice me to order salmonella & chips (or rice, or pizza)

I don't want your leaflets - stop wasting resources.

• Like 2