And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

4 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Here we go the coundown's started,from the 23rd of Sept one of the Great Movie channels are showing Christmas films,three months it's enough to make you weep....

Sounds like they got a late start.  Several of the cable networks here have been showing some select Xmas movies on and off since July  ( i.e. Christmas in July ).

Halloween stuff got put out in some stores mid August.

cheers, Graham near Ottawa Canada

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Here we go the coundown's started,from the 23rd of Sept one of the Great Movie channels are showing Christmas films,three months it's enough to make you weep....

As I can only think of three good Christmas films it is a station I will avoid like the plague.😀

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Sounds like they got a late start.  Several of the cable networks here have been showing some select Xmas movies on and off since July  ( i.e. Christmas in July ).

Halloween stuff got put out in some stores mid August.

cheers, Graham near Ottawa Canada

What really bugs me is it's all modern rubbish from the last 10/15 years,if it was some of the classic stuff it wouldn't be so bad...

23 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

As I can only think of three good Christmas films it is a station I will avoid like the plague.😀

Same here...

Edited by Vince1159

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

'It's a Wonderful Life'.

What are the other two?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

You forgot Gremlins....

I never got on with it to be honest. Watched it when it first came out but have never bothered with it since.

One I was thinking of is the original Die Hard. Can it be classed as a Christmas film??

• Like 1

On 10/09/2021 at 20:56, fatfingers said:

Idiots behind you at a roundabout who lean on their horn when they decide your not moving fast enough when your waiting for a gap to enter. They can't see what i can see and i'm not prepared to cause a potential accident or injury to myself or others just to satisfy them. The roundabout in question can be a tricky one at the best of times without some prat in a clapped out Toyota Yaris up your tail pipe! 🤬

Regards,

Steve

Some guy in an Astra did this to me about twenty years ago, when I was driving a rather underpowered car and this roundabout was a bit of a challenge. Well I thought it's an offence to use the horn as an admonishment so he must be drawing my attention to a defect in my car. So I turned the engine off and walked back to him with a smile on my face. He decided to vacate the situation, reversed straight into the bus behind him and drove off tipping me over the bonnet as him did so. How the bus driver and I laughed, quid pro quo !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

One I was thinking of is the original Die Hard. Can it be classed as a Christmas film??

It was set around Christmas but i'm not a fan of it,enjoyed it when it was first released but umpteen years later it's a case of 'flamin' eck,is that on again i'll watch the news'...

• Like 1

Ready to put paint on a 1/72 Blue Rider vacform Nieuport Nighthawk, very generously given to me by a fellow BM'er.  I've been able to spend a few days working on it this week after a work-enforced absence from all modelling for around 10 months. I've scratched the struts and undercarriage, eliminated all the joint lines and managed to get a smooth Halfords primer finish.

I had the Humbrol Polished Aluminium rattlecan in my hand when I spotted the Halfords Polar White aerosol on the bench. I know, I thought, I'll spray it gloss white. That will help to give a smooth silver finish and help with the rudder stripes. Genius, eh?

The little model is now covered with the worst case of 'orange peel' paint that you could imagine, including on the upper surface of the lower wing between all my home-made struts. While trying (in vain) to sand it smooth I managed to snap all the centre-section struts from the fuselage. It's now soaking in Fairy Power Spray, but I don't expect it to touch the Halfords paint.

Quite bizarre, as the white worked perfectly on the 2CV door for which it was purchased. 'Frustrating' doesn't quite cover it...

Jon

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Muppet's Christmas Carol and Home Alone. And even then I haven't watched these for a long time so they may be rubbish nowadays.😀

I prefer 'Scrooge', the old b&w version of 'A Christmas Carol' with Alastair Sim. Never bettered, in my opinion. 🙂

• Like 5

One of my favourites which doesn't come up in the run up to Christmas, but usually makes an appearance over the holiday period, is the Albert Finney film Scrooge, the Movie. A lot of well known faces in it.

Plus a big yes, for It's a Wonderful Life. I like to see Clarence get his wings.

John.

• Like 4

Just saw this article from the Daily Express: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/careersandeducation/british-army-gets-emotional-to-make-generation-z-fit-to-fight/ar-AAOBC7k?ocid=msedgntp

Can anyone explain to me what 'feel authentic in the workplace' actually means?  The article does make me wonder about the future of the army.

On 18/09/2021 at 12:56, fatfingers said:

Most are far from being considerate drivers as they tend to stop, turn and pull out without any signals or warning! 

Isn't this normal practice for taxi drivers?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 593jones said:

The article does make me wonder about the future of the army.

Don't 'fret' as there are 'way too many' air-quotes used 'all over' that 'article'. 

To me, the overuse of quotation marks in the article makes me think it's put out there by some curmudgeons that aren't willing to accept changing demographics. 

Yes they don't make them like they used to, so adapt your hiring/recruiting to reality.

• Like 1

Royal Mail and/or particular a local post office. Ordered a kit weekend before last which never arrived, seller gave me the tracking this morning, parcel was dropped off at the post office on 13th and has never been seen on the RM system since so either it never left the PO or it has vanished into the ether...

• Sad 3

Builders/plasters/scaffolders (+any other trades you want to add) who do not turn up when they say they are going to. This is slowly driving me nuts as I like to know what is happening and who to expect when. I get that they are busy and that there are material shortages but they could at least have the decency to pick up the phone and let you know they are not coming... 

• Like 2

Hi

trying to reply to a thread here on BM and getting

the ' saving ' ......

and not posting anything ..... 

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

trying to reply to a thread here on BM and getting

the ' saving ' ......

and not posting anything ..... 

cheers

jerry

That's common and an easy fix, just refresh the page.

The trend towards smaller engines in cars, and  yes I know it’s not PC or environmentally friendly.

We are using a courtesy car this week while our Honda Civic 2.2 CDTI is in the garage, and it’s a hatchback with a 1000cc 3 cylinder ‘ go-cart ‘ engine, which is lethal if you are used to something with a little response. We are planning to change our car next year for something with a smaller petrol engine, but not that small!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

The trend towards smaller engines in cars, and  yes I know it’s not PC or environmentally friendly.

We are using a courtesy car this week while our Honda Civic 2.2 CDTI is in the garage, and it’s a hatchback with a 1000cc 3 cylinder ‘ go-cart ‘ engine, which is lethal if you are used to something with a little response. We are planning to change our car next year for something with a smaller petrol engine, but not that small!

Mine's got a turbo charged 1ltr 3 pot with 120hp. It goes rather well thanks to the turbo, though it can lag on the odd occasion. When mine went in for a service recently i got a small go cart with 64hp and no turbo. Had to rev the nuts off it to get going from a stop! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1