And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

1 hour ago, treker_ed said:

the only problem I have is we have work that needs doing on the house, Painting etc to get it looking okay, work on the back garden, fence needs doing.

Hmmm... Sounds like your neighbours feel the same about theirs though. 

21 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Hmmm... Sounds like your neighbours feel the same about theirs though. 

Nope - We've been in ours from the moment it was built 8 years ago - and we are only just getting round to doing the work. We have not touched it since we moved in (aprt from putting up shelves, and having to decorate due to a flood caused by bad workmanship by the builders. That was rectified by our house insurance). These have been doing work on their houses from day one! And their houses are not as old. Maybe 6 years old. The retired guy, is the second occupant - he is constantly working on his shed and not on the house (which happens to be Housing Association/ Shared Ownership - So may have to be removed when they go anyway). The two others, as soon as they moved in their house, FROM NEW, started to rip stuff out and rebuild! It's been constant with them. I cannot understand the point of moving into a brand new built house, and then immediately rip out a functioning bathroom, and replace it. Just get the builders to fit it out with your spec from the start! Or if you're going to do this amount of refurbishment on a house, buy an older house to do up to the level you want, not buy a new build, and then start gutting it! This is basically what one of the two younger families has done. It's nothing to do with sprucing their houses up. They have been constantly working on their houses ever-since they moved in.

I suppose you could ask them (nicely) if they'd done so beforehand - just keep in mind that it is not unusual to buy a house as-is and then adapt it to your personal liking. 
The days when you could wait while the builders kit out what you've specced seem to be gone. Housing shortage makes it you buy first (before anyone else does) and then change it to what you want. 

17 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I suppose you could ask them (nicely) if they'd done so beforehand - just keep in mind that it is not unusual to buy a house as-is and then adapt it to your personal liking. 
The days when you could wait while the builders kit out what you've specced seem to be gone. Housing shortage makes it you buy first (before anyone else does) and then change it to what you want. 

As you are in The Netherlands, have you any experience of the UK housing market? Or of UK house purchases? I certainly do not have any experience of buying a house on the Continental Europe, so would not like to suggest the rights or wrongs of buying in NL from developers. However, when we bought our house here in the UK, we had several thousand pounds worth of options, from the types of showers, to radiators, to tiles, to fitted appliances, to fitted wardrobes that we could have opted for. On top of that, we could specify what type of flooring we wanted in the main areas of the house, from carpets, to tiles, to laminates. All of which had to be paid for as part of the purchase price. These are the things these people started to rip out as soon as they moved in. Why pay twice for the items. If you did not want the developers to provide, you could state this, and have your own items fitted. Again, why have stuff fitted and then rip it out to pay again for the same stuff, when you could have paid a tradesperson to fit the items you want, to the specification you wanted, which would probably have saved you money on your purchase price. 

This debate was not about this in the first place, it was about the amount of noise being generated by the amount of drilling, sawing, and power tools being used incessantly by the three households concerned, and not being able to open windows in my house over the last few years. It is this aspect that is making me annoyed with these people. They have been spoken to by other neighbours, and they have seemingly ignored it and just carried on anyway. They are of the sort who don't care about the others around them. 

It's similar over here. 

I would like to add to that: though it is perfectly feasible to do as you say and spec everything out at the beginning, it does tend to come at extra cost* - arguably, part of the purchase price, but keeping ones mortgage lower does entice other buyers to perhaps skip that stage and do so later. 

*I'm not convinced there is a large amount of savings to be attained by doing it up front (as a house owner, I have some experience with getting estimates on renovations and matching those to other offers, and botched initial work needing repairs) - apart from the inevitable delays 'bespoke' work tends to involve while you must keep your previous home on lease or postpone handover of sale. 

As for noisy neighbours: try living in an apartment where the people above you have a hardwood floor and tend to be.... let's keep it at not exactly light-footed. 

That gets old real fast :P

• Like 1

Heatstroke. Went for a walk around Lakenheath Fen this afternoon and whilst I knew it was going to be hot, when I got out of the car, it took my breath away. 
After about half an hour of walking, I started to feel odd, so sat for a while. Each time I stood up, I felt like I would pass out. I ended up having to lie down for half an hour and then abandon the walk.

Not one of my better days!

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Motorbikes or rather one particular one ridden by a local cretin. Got an exhaust that sounds like Thor himself farting through a loudspeaker and has been doing laps most days for the past week or so……

Oh, I so agree with you. One of these sub 25's comes through our village like a bat out of hell. Single cylinder, 4 stroke trials bike. I'd love to throw a stinger out, just before he comes roaring through.

John.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Motorbikes or rather one particular one ridden by a local cretin

Yes that and modified car exhausts. I know they can sound cool, but lets keep them for track days and the like - not residential areas! Last week I was woken at 3am by some idiot with a modified system coupled with multiple backfires. Sounded like WWIII had erupted! But a solution may be coming

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/107097/new-noise-cameras-to-target-loud-car-exhausts

Cheers

Colin

Hear! hear!

Since this blooming pandemic and the first lockdown, it's sounded like I live next to the Nürburgring. If I ran the country there'd be a legal sound threshold for vehicles on public highways that would be part of the MOT.

And on another grump, why is it whenever any model is announced or mentioned, particularly in the rumours thread can people just not resist stating that they wish something else often completely different would be released?

"A new Sherman tank kit is being released next month by manufacturer A in 1/35".

"Great, but I wish they should release a 1/72 kit of a Spitfire".

🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Filler said:

And on another grump, why is it whenever any model is announced or mentioned, particularly in the rumours thread can people just not resist stating that they wish something else often completely different would be released?

Ah, a kindred spirit. My thought when that happens is put it in whatever section exists for you to talk about your wish list.

Back to noisy exhausts. One of the local farm workers (who starts early and sometimes finishes late....very late), drives through the village in a Peugeot estate which was built before Napoleon was born, with a modified exhaust. It's been modified by corrosion. I'd love to see if his CT (MOT cert) is up to date.

John.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ckw said:

Yes that and modified car exhausts. I know they can sound cool,

They really don't. At worst they sound like there's a hole in the silencer, at best they attract a reaction along the lines "Where's that Ferrari I hear? Oh it's not a Ferrari, just Barry in his Corsa. What a prat"

• Haha 7

A couple of years ago, good friends, a lovely retired couple about our age, sold their home on 15 acres across the creek from us, which included a fantastic garden. The sort of garden open periodically under the O.G Scheme and which featured in gardening magazines.

It was purchased by a young couple with kids, who promptly got in a Bobcat and dug a track all round the acreage, on which he and the older son disport themselves on their motorbikes . The 4-stroke isn't so bad but the bloody 2-stroke sounds like a wasp in a bottle.

While not as frequent as when they moved in, lockdown has provided more time, other than weekends, to make the life of the neighbourhood bloody purgatory ! At times when they have had parties with friends of similar interest, the racket has been so loud as to render conversation, even within a foot of each other, impossible for my wife and me.

Complaints to council, e.p.a and noise abatement have seen the motorbike use reduce a bit but not enough to be neighbourly.

As for the garden, that's just our friends' fond memory ! Bloody Vandals !!

Rog the P......d Off !!!

Edited by roginoz
can't spell my own name ! :o[
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

a Peugeot estate which was built before Napoleon was born

Those 404 stations were awesome.  Built-in suspension control hatches that magically appeared after a couple of years!

(that's corrosion, in case it needed spelling out)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Flies. How is it that the wretched things can find their way into a house through a 1/4" wide gap, but can't get out again through open patio doors and instead persist in banging into the window they've just come in by :angry:

• Haha 13

8 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Flies. How is it that the wretched things can find their way into a house through a 1/4" wide gap, but can't get out again through open patio doors and instead persist in banging into the window they've just come in by :angry:

Also moths.

If they like light so much, why don't the just come out during the day? 😁

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Watching the bus I wanted to get driving past the bus stop

4 minutes early

I was only about 10 seconds from the bus stop and the bus was early

Due at 10.52 it went by at 10.48

Have to wait till 13.40 for the next one

• Sad 3

"FOR SALE: One set of 3-series indicator lights, as-new condition, never used. Also avaliable: one complete set of mirrors, surplus to requirements." 😁

Edited by Ade H
  • Haha 5

This is going to seem strange - both what's happening and the fact that I'm a bit grumpy about it.

Our neighbours and us share a hedge between our two driveways. We get on ok-ish, although we'd never be best friends, and we've never had any real disagreements. Just neighbours really.

But (you just knew that was coming) Mr Next Door has got into the habit of coming into our drive and trimming our side of the hedge - for the first couple of metres of hedge from the road. The first time he did it I just thought it was odd, the second time funny but after the third time I'm getting a bit cheesed off. My guess is that he does it so that anyone approaching his house will see a very neat hedge from either direction. I tend to cut our side of the hedge twice a year whereas he's doing it every few weeks. My method clearly isn't up to his standard.

I know it seems odd to have a grump about a hedge being kept (very) neat but I've never come across this before and now I just think 'but that's my bit of the hedge'. I have no intention of talking to them about it although I did mention it to their other neighbours when I was walking my dog. They thought it was a strange thing to be doing.

The hedge probably won't grow much now until the spring so he may not appear for the next six months or so. I can probably put away my grumpiness until then I suppose.

Mark

• Like 2