And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

The price of second hand kits these days. It wasn’t that long ago that I’d scoff when people asked new prices for pre-loved produce, but it’s not uncommon now to see people asking considerably more.

People can obviously ask whatever they want, but the sheer weight of overpriced tat that has to be waded through to find anything resembling a realistic price is tiresome.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

The price of second hand kits these days. It wasn’t that long ago that I’d scoff when people asked new prices for pre-loved produce, but it’s not uncommon now to see people asking considerably more.

People can obviously ask whatever they want, but the sheer weight of overpriced tat that has to be waded through to find anything resembling a realistic price is tiresome.

true, but try getting a builder for a decent price...jeez. anyone would think they neede 10 years of qualifications at Oxbridge

14 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Rare kits (real or imagined rarity) will always command premium prices but fundamentally, the value of secondhand products is governed by what the market will bear. Sadly, there are lots of people out there who are prepared to pay silly prices for mundane items and the market reflects that.

• Like 2

The unavailability of newspapers on Saturday mornings.  For the last four weeks I have been unable to buy a newspaper when I do my Saturday morning big shop.  I don't go too early, usually around 9.00 am and finish between 10.30 and 11.00, but nowhere seems to have them for sale.  Are the delivery drivers having a lie-in on Saturday mornings or what?  I like to buy the Daily Mail for the adrenalin buzz produced by my shouting at the articles, and it has a good TV paper for SWMBO.  I suppose they may be delivered later, but I don't go out once I've done my shop, so I don't know for sure.  Annoying!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

Rare kits (real or imagined rarity) will always command premium prices but fundamentally, the value of secondhand products is governed by what the market will bear. Sadly, there are lots of people out there who are prepared to pay silly prices for mundane items and the market reflects that.

That's only part of it, there is also the problem that some people just have a ridiculously over inflated idea of what their kits are worth. I regularly see ones on ebay where the seller is asking 50% more than the highest historic selling price of an identical kit. I've seen examples of this on the 'for sale' section of this forum too.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 8:06 AM, John_W said:

Clay.

Digging a new pond, almost down to depth and the spade hits a stone. Try another spot and another stone. 

Foot and a half down, and hitting the London Clay layer. 

Horrible claggy stuff full of pebbles, like digging a Topic bar.  Had to chop it out in chunks with a pickaxe in the end.

Took more.time for the last two inches than the rest of the hole all together.

I too am cursed with a heavy clay soil, tried a few different types of spade in the past without huge success, then I bought one of these. The combination of the sharply pointed tip, narrowness of that spade and the fact the head is tapered along it's entire length really works brilliantly on clay:

https://www.diy.com/departments/magnusson-pointed-drain-shovel/5059340086637_BQ.prd

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, -Ian- said:

That's only part of it, there is also the problem that some people just have a ridiculously over inflated idea of what their kits are worth. I regularly see ones on ebay where the seller is asking 50% more than the highest historic selling price of an identical kit. I've seen examples of this on the 'for sale' section of this forum too.

Because I have a very limited budget for my hobbies, I have to search for bargains. This involves spending a *lot* of time trawling through eBay listings and looking through sales on various forums. Because of this, I have a pretty good idea of the going rate for second-hand kits. 

Probably due to the perceived demand due to the knock-on effects of the pandemic, asking prices have skyrocketed over the past year or so. Asking prices don’t mean sales though, and I see a *lot* of stuff being relisted and not sold ad infinitum. Also, randomly using words such as ‘vintage’ and ‘rare’ doesn’t make your item any more valuable*.If it is indeed rare or vintage, that might only make it valuable to a small group of buyers, especially if newer and better examples of the subject are available. One must wonder then why so many Airfix Mosquito II/VI/XVIIIs are on eBay for considerably more than you can pick up the Tamiya kit. 
And yes, eBay isn’t the only place where you can find overly expensive second hand kits.

* I saw one eBay chancer claiming the last boxing of the original Revell Dambuster Lanc had an RRP of £100. I reported that for fraud. 

• Like 3

Todays grump I cannot mention without straying into the dreaded "P" ,  but suffice to say I do not believe The Greatest Generation made their sacrifices for some jumped-up chekists to demand "covid papers, please" before entering a British public place.

• Like 4

Having your posts headers rewritten by the moderators of this website . 

Makes me angry as no consultation occurs and the mods just do what they like and change things to suit themselves and the original poster of whatever topic is censored without reason. Not happy at all !

Edited by Mick4350

6 hours ago, IanHx said:

Todays grump I cannot mention without straying into the dreaded "P" ,  but suffice to say I do not believe The Greatest Generation made their sacrifices for some jumped-up chekists to demand "covid papers, please" before entering a British public place.

The 'Greatest Generation' put up with the Emergency Powers (Defence) Acts of 1939 and 1940 - the most extensive instruments of state control in modern times, which gave the government carte blanche over everything and anything. This included rationing, detention without trial, and kicking you out of your home if they wanted to build an airfield on it!

I think they would have coped with our rather less onerous Covid restrictions. As should we.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

Makes me angry as no consultation occurs and the mods just do what they like and change things to suit themselves and the original poster of whatever topic is censored without reason. Not happy at all !

Well good for you. :yes:

and those people that don’t discuss things with the mods but instead post up a public rant to "get their own back" are pretty annoying too. If you have a problem, discuss it with the mods in a grown-up manner. Like a grown-up.

drop us a line when you’re feeling more mature and ready to talk about it.

edit: I’ve just got it. I added a U to the title of the latest four word story, as it was misleading. If that’s what gets you hot under the collar, perhaps you should go to another site that treat you with the proper level of respect. I mean. Who would dare to put a U in someone’s thread? That’s tantamount to… well. Almost nothing. Grow up.

• Like 6

A bit confused here. Mum has been selling hand knitted babies clothing as a bit of a side hustle (and doing quite well with it) and someone purchased a pink jacket. No probs, they paid quickly and it was posted the same day. 2 months later the package has turned up back in our post box unopened with the address crossed out. No communication from the buyer at all, he had been send the tracking number and now we've gone looking for him (it was a purchase made on facebook) he has disappeared. 

I've also been slowly selling many of my old toys, some quite collectable and in maybe 100 packages sent in the last 6 months this is the first time we've had issues. Why would someone not at least communicate that their package didn't arrive? A bit odd really.

There could be many reasons

One that comes to mind is the buyer purchased it as a gift for someone. The address you sent it to is the person getting it as a gift.

The buyer doesn't know it wasn't delivered and the reciever didn't know to expect it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IanC said:

The 'Greatest Generation' put up with the Emergency Powers (Defence) Acts of 1939 and 1940 - the most extensive instruments of state control in modern times, which gave the government carte blanche over everything and anything. This included rationing, detention without trial, and kicking you out of your home if they wanted to build an airfield on it!

I think they would have coped with our rather less onerous Covid restrictions. As should we.

That was war-time.

This is peace-time.

• Like 2

Just now, Graham Boak said:

And this is a murderous pandemic.

Very true.  But yet it is a murderous pandemic that we are all being instructed to pretend doesnt exist and shuffle back into crowded spaces via even more crowded public transport....   

Anyway, nudging it back to modelling...   any new "low cost virus spreader"  737 kits on the horizon ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IanHx said:

That was war-time.

This is peace-time.

It was peacetime then, too. But then came a war. And with it the imposition of major limits on public freedoms. Far greater than anyone born after that period will have known.

Now Covid has come along, another existential threat to lives and livelihoods. My point is that the recent and necessary limits to our freedoms have  been insignificant by comparison. I would respectfully suggest that if we are asked, for example, to present proof that we've had our vaccine jabs as part of the national effort to win this particular struggle then surely it's not too much to ask? Keep safe! 🙂

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

and yet when I sent you a PM previously about an issue you ignored it? 

So we are dammed if we contact you and dammed if we dont?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Brad said:

A bit confused here. Mum has been selling hand knitted babies clothing as a bit of a side hustle (and doing quite well with it) and someone purchased a pink jacket. No probs, they paid quickly and it was posted the same day. 2 months later the package has turned up back in our post box unopened with the address crossed out. No communication from the buyer at all, he had been send the tracking number and now we've gone looking for him (it was a purchase made on facebook) he has disappeared. 

I've also been slowly selling many of my old toys, some quite collectable and in maybe 100 packages sent in the last 6 months this is the first time we've had issues. Why would someone not at least communicate that their package didn't arrive? A bit odd really.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago.  I sold a kit on Ebay to a buyer in South Africa.  Sent the kit off and heard no more, didn't get any feedback, but that's not unusual.  Around 12 months later the kit arrived back, like your package, with the address crossed out.  No idea where it had been for the intervening twelve months.  Very strange.

15 hours ago, Brad said:

Makes you wonder what has happened or is going on

#1 son had an almost similar case a few years ago

#1 breaks BMW cars and sells used parts. 

Customer in England wanted a range of heavy items and needed it all in a hurry. It was all palleted up and bill was over £1700

About two weeks after the load was sent off it was all returned, untouched. 

Message from courier was address was ok but it was a part demolished building with no access.

Over a year later #1 still had the palleted parts, had kept the money paid available for refund and had sent about 50 messages, by post, facebook and email to the customer but with no response at all.

2 hours ago, 593jones said:

Same thing happened to me a few years ago.  I sold a kit on Ebay to a buyer in South Africa.  Sent the kit off and heard no more, didn't get any feedback, but that's not unusual.  Around 12 months later the kit arrived back, like your package, with the address crossed out.  No idea where it had been for the intervening twelve months.  Very strange.

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Makes you wonder what has happened or is going on

#1 son had an almost similar case a few years ago

#1 breaks BMW cars and sells used parts. 

Customer in England wanted a range of heavy items and needed it all in a hurry. It was all palleted up and bill was over £1700

About two weeks after the load was sent off it was all returned, untouched. 

Message from courier was address was ok but it was a part demolished building with no access.

Over a year later #1 still had the palleted parts, had kept the money paid available for refund and had sent about 50 messages, by post, facebook and email to the customer but with no response at all.

There are some possible explanations. The recipient has died, gone to prison, won the lottery or come into money and moved on or just been caught by his wife and received the ultimatum “kits or me”:hmmm:Other scenarios are available 

• Like 1

The bloody mindedness of some people!

Sadly where we live on a new(ish) estate we have a few people who have decided that living in a new build house is grounds for a total refurbishment! 

At one side we have a (seemingly retired couple, where the husband is continuously building, drilling, using power tools of one type or another on a self build shed / out building that is larger than permitted development, and a lot closer to the fence-line than is allowed (council have done nothing about it!). This has taken 4 years of building ever since they moved in and he is still bloody building or tinkering with it! Directly behind us, is another couple (who have a 3(ish) year old), and a new born, who have just built a shed (smaller though), and the husband is forever building or tinkering with it at all hours. Next to them is a couple who as soon as they moved in started ripping out the bathroom, re-tiling etc. Now they seem to be re-doing all the floors in a 5 or 6 year old house! All three have been know to do stuff at 8 or 9 in the morning and still be doing stuff at 8 or 9pm! We have not been able to enjoy a single nice summers day for several years. We cannot open any windows without one of the three doing some work with bloody noisy power tools. The annoying thing is, when most people where cooped up during lockdown, they did nothing at all. Nada, zip, squat-all. Nope, they wait until we have nice weather and lockdowns have been lifted.

The wife is wanting to move, and at the moment I don't blame her, the only problem I have is we have work that needs doing on the house, Painting etc to get it looking okay, work on the back garden, fence needs doing. I am not the sort of person that is able to do this stuff, I just do not have the aptitude to do it. And not only that we have Fibre broadband so have great internet access speeds. Something that we have struggled to find in a lot of other places (unless provided by Virgin Media - and I'm not a fan of them!). We have up-to 1GB download available if we wanted it, and at the moment use 500megabit speeds. 

There are time I just want to throttle the damn idiots!:punch:

Edited by treker_ed