And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

Clover, I hate clover. It's a paint to try and pull out of the garden. A friend suggested that my soil might be deficient in nitrate and suggested adding this to kill off the clover, so when I can actually go to the hardware store I shall try this.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The current fashion for beginning sentences with ‘ so ‘ :angry:

So what?

Sorry John, but I couldn't resist. But yes, I know just what you mean. Ian Hislop always used to moan about people who started a sentence with a conjunction. Just watch the news in the morning and just about every person who is interviewed will start their reply with "so". Irritating to say the least.

John.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I just got my regular newsletter from Hannants and noticed the all pervasive "may of, could of, should of, would of" has got to them too. It's enough to send pedants a-twitching.😀

Glad someone else noticed that ... the sort of thing up with which I am unwilling to put up with!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Glad someone else noticed that ... the sort of thing up with which I am unwilling to put up with!

Sure you didn't mean "........up with which I will not put. " ?      :o}

• Haha 3

Clay.

Digging a new pond, almost down to depth and the spade hits a stone. Try another spot and another stone. 

Foot and a half down, and hitting the London Clay layer. 

Horrible claggy stuff full of pebbles, like digging a Topic bar.  Had to chop it out in chunks with a pickaxe in the end.

Took more.time for the last two inches than the rest of the hole all together.

On 28/08/2021 at 18:17, Biggles87 said:

The current fashion for beginning sentences with ‘ so ‘ :angry:

I'll give you another one that really irritates. The lunch time program on BBC hosted by Dom Littlewood, and the ITV show Tipping Point, hosted by Ben Shepard, are full of words such as "assume" and "presume", but they pronounce them as though they have an "sh" in the middle. Who the hell teaches them to speak like that? I come from the same part of the world as those two, but I've never pronounced words like that. Oh, and while we're at it.....it's "aitch" not "haitch" for the letter H.

John.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, John_W said:

Clay.

Digging a new pond, almost down to depth and the spade hits a stone. Try another spot and another stone. 

Foot and a half down, and hitting the London Clay layer. 

Horrible claggy stuff full of pebbles, like digging a Topic bar.  Had to chop it out in chunks with a pickaxe in the end.

Took more.time for the last two inches than the rest of the hole all together.

I reckon I would have left it two inches shallower…

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2021 at 2:20 PM, Bullbasket said:

the ITV show Tipping Point,

That one makes me laugh,if you look at the money people win on The Chase or Who Want's to be a Millionaire on this one if they go for the 10,000 they can't even keep what they had getting to the final....

Morning meetings.

Our new(ish) department manager is fresh from his 'less' training and it shows. His questions via mail/chat are 'short and to the point' per training and therefore lack any applicable context which irritates most of our team members and finally the issue came to a head this morning.  Now he 'wishes to experience our way of working' and decided to sit in on our daily standup. Fine. 

Not Fine: directly influencing our planning and work assignments. 

Dude, what part of Agile do you not get? Back off!

/end rant.

• Sad 3

On 20/08/2021 at 09:22, mick b said:

Or the increasing number of illegal electric scooters! Here in Dorset the latest council obsession is to convert the county into little Holland by narrowing roads and creating cycle lanes the width of the Atlantic. Hardly used by cyclists but they are being occupied by yoofs on their electric scooters with their girlfriends on them in tandem but on the wrong side of the road so against the flow of traffic! A disaster waiting to happen as I’d hate to have my bonnet damaged as they bounce off it.

Mike

Saw a BBC article on an idiot on an electric scooter trying to join the motorway and then wanted to show it to a friend but couldn't find it so I Googled (other search engines are available) "man on scooter on motorway" and dear God there are lots of examples.  One guy is even on video on the outside fastest lane Who does that??:mental:

• Haha 4

If it was the one I saw, the 'person' in question was an inebriated 20 something Brummie running the outside lane of the A38. Knew what he was doing, the Q.E. Hospital is further down the road.......! Apologies to the non inebriated and normal thinking of that fair city!

• Haha 2

People who post works in progress and reference pictures in Ready For Inspection

If folks want to see how you did it or what you're copying they can visit your WIP/GB thread and not have to wade through the before RFI stuff. The clue is in the Forum title 😡 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ratch said:

People who post works in progress and reference pictures in Ready For Inspection

If folks want to see how you did it or what you're copying they can visit your WIP/GB thread and not have to wade through the before RFI stuff. The clue is in the Forum title 😡 

I don't mind the occasional shot if it's relevant. For example, a photo of a fuselage interior with all the modeller's carefully painted added detail and etch, just before it's closed up and effectively lost forever!

• Like 6

Today's grump.

Movie companies further delaying the release of films because they insist on a cinema release.

Like the huge number of people that were quite happy 'not' turning back the clock on the more progressive things to emerge from lockdown, I was quite enjoying 'not' having the 'cinema experience' and instead of the usual melee (mobile phones, talking over the film and all manner of disruptions) actually started to get used to enjoying watching the new releases without disruption. But no, this was no sign of a brave new world but just a mere blip before reality was dragged back to the 20th century.

Grump ends!

• Like 7