And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

17 minutes ago, RAF4EVER said:

It's working OK for me here in The Netherlands

I cleared out my cookies on the PC and got back in, and had to relogin here and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me in. Gotta use an email instead of your user name.

Yahoo? Dear God, do they still exist?
I was convinced they went the way of the Dodo a couple of years back after their unsuccesful sale to Verizon (about to be sold off again)..

On 8/15/2021 at 5:08 PM, Biggles87 said:

I know the feeling, I just don’t drink at lunchtime anymore. Nothing worse than an evening hangover.

John

I find it’s better if you start at breakfast and then lunchtime drinking isn’t so bad...

Mike

• Haha 6

My grump today covers the last few days;

Its the number of people walking or running in the road when there is a perfectly useable and safe pavement. This last few days I've come across, literally, dozens, of people walking/running in the road.

I don't mean crossing the road, but walking in-line with the road lane.

Yesterday I turned a corner in Belfast and had to slam the brakes on ( I was only doing the limit of 20mph) and swerve as there was a youngish bloke strolling down the lane quite oblivious to the traffic. 

This evening coming out of Comber to Newtownards, the road becomes a dual carriage way, and there in the middle of the left lane is a guy jogging along. To his left was a hard shoulder, a cycle lane and a wide pavement!

There were more instances but I'll leave it at that

I did sound my horn at them, for the legal reason to do so, and in return I got the two-finger salute

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

My grump today covers the last few days;

Its the number of people walking or running in the road when there is a perfectly useable and safe pavement. This last few days I've come across, literally, dozens, of people walking/running in the road.

I don't mean crossing the road, but walking in-line with the road lane.

Yesterday I turned a corner in Belfast and had to slam the brakes on ( I was only doing the limit of 20mph) and swerve as there was a youngish bloke strolling down the lane quite oblivious to the traffic. 

See it all the time when i go pick mrs fatfingers up from work on Leeds Uni campus. They just amble about in the road and give me the death stare when i have the nerve to give my horn a toot at them. Come September and freshers week it will be that thick with em i could play skittles! One time i was emerging from a blind junction with cars either side and had to slam on due to a large group of students taking selfies in the middle of the road! Good job i was in 1st gear and only doing about 3mph! 

Regards,

Steve

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Its the number of people walking or running in the road when there is a perfectly useable and safe pavement

Funnily enough we had the same a few days ago (think it was Sunday!) Turned into the junction for the road towards our house, and a gentleman decided at that moment it was appropriate to start running in the road, and start crossing the road diagonally in front of us. I had to slam the brakes on to stop us hitting him, and used the car horn. The "gentleman" shouted 'What's your problem" and then gave us the middle finger as if it was our fault that we so very nearly hit him as he decided to run out in front of us instead of using the pavement. Erm no, pedestrian=path, car=road, pedestian≠road when car approaching car has right of way.

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Probably forced into the road by the cyclists on the pavements!

Or the increasing number of illegal electric scooters! Here in Dorset the latest council obsession is to convert the county into little Holland by narrowing roads and creating cycle lanes the width of the Atlantic. Hardly used by cyclists but they are being occupied by yoofs on their electric scooters with their girlfriends on them in tandem but on the wrong side of the road so against the flow of traffic! A disaster waiting to happen as I’d hate to have my bonnet damaged as they bounce off it.

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, mick b said:

I’d hate to have my bonnet damaged as they bounce off it

Do what they do in the States, and treat them as a deer. When your about to hit a deer, what do you do? SPEED UP! Just sayin................

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Do what they do in the States, and treat them as a deer. When your about to hit a deer, what do you do? SPEED UP! Just sayin................

Could be problems if you tied them to the car as a trophy as I understand was common with deer in the US once upon a time.

• Haha 5

On 8/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, mick b said:

Here in Dorset the latest council obsession is to convert the county into little Holland by narrowing roads and creating cycle lanes the width of the Atlantic.

See that's the problem. Width of the North Sea is sufficient.   j/k

Just picking one element of an entire traffic system and plonking it down somewhere else doesn't work.

You're also going to need speed bumps, a 15MPh limit, and changes to the traffic laws to 'protect the weaker participants' so car drivers are automatically assigned a larger portion of the blame should one of those weaker participants decide to perform a YOLO action right in front of your car.

• Like 1

I don't know if the original post was about the piece on the news a few days ago, but the bit that I saw was absolutely ludicrous. They had taken a two  lane road, which wasn't particularly wide to start with, and put cycle lanes either side, with the main traffic running down the centre. Trouble is, the cycle lanes were almost as wide as the lanes for other traffic.........and not a cycle in sight. By restricting the traffic lanes that much, you are always going to have vehicles straying into the cycle lanes with predictable results. 

John.

• Like 1

Just remember that the new Highway Code is travelling in the direction of making car drivers automatically liable in all accidents for injury to more “vulnerable” road users unless they can prove it wasn’t really their fault. 

Case study example:-

The “idiot” :wicked: learner driver and instructor who were stopped discussing the lesson when this happened 

Just sayin :whistle:

Moral:- buy 360 degree video camera for car

• Haha 8
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I don't know if the original post was about the piece on the news a few days ago, but the bit that I saw was absolutely ludicrous. They had taken a two  lane road, which wasn't particularly wide to start with, and put cycle lanes either side, with the main traffic running down the centre. Trouble is, the cycle lanes were almost as wide as the lanes for other traffic.........and not a cycle in sight. By restricting the traffic lanes that much, you are always going to have vehicles straying into the cycle lanes with predictable results. 

John.

It's not just that. It means that all the noncycling (I was going to say vehicular, but that includes bikes, the police told me that for using a pedestrian crossing on a bike) traffic is confined to one lane down the middle. Remember the 3 lane "suicide" lanes in the middle of the road. It's like that, but much more fun. Bring on that suicide chicken!

• Like 1

We Dutch seem to have adapted pretty well to it. 

Maybe it's because we start out riding bikes in the first place, Idunno :P

--

That bloke though. Numbnut.

5 hours ago, JohnT said:

Moral:- buy 360 degree video camera for car

One ironically funny thing that struck me was the bottom of the screen where it records the speed. Obviously, it's 0 mph, but it's written as ooomph! Very appropriate in this case.

You can't even blame this one on the idiocy of youth. He looks as though he's in his 40s or 50s.

Something similar happened to my brother when he was about 18 (he's 82 now). He had a new Claude Butler bike and he was going to see his girl friend. She lived at the bottom of a hill and he was going down it at full pelt with his head down, just like that one in the video. Trouble was, just before the bottom of the hill, there was a tipper truck parked with no lights on and my brother went straight into the tail board of the truck. Ended up in Southend General for about a week. Bike didn't make it though.

John.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Quest showing the first two hours of Le Mans live today and the last two hours tomorrow,what about to the 20 inbetween....

Ahh, so what your really saying @Vince1159 is you like watching traffic!

Paul, ducking for cover.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/21/2021 at 5:35 PM, Vince1159 said:

Quest showing the first two hours of Le Mans live today and the last two hours tomorrow,what about to the 20 inbetween....

Oh, that's just a mislabeled standard endurance race then.

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Oh, that's just a mislabeled standard endurance race then.

Rallying/Endurance and Touring cars,motorsports which are the best to watch (can't stand F1) but i know what you mean it's all about the name the same as Champagne...

Edited by Vince1159

On 8/23/2021 at 6:39 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Myself, ultimate bane of my life is self inflicted problems, weeks of to a banger having destroyed my laptop  with a spilled drink........😭

I did something similar with a laptop and a bottle of liquid poly.  I prefer desktop computers to laptops anyway. :(