And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

8 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

I hate insurance companies!

I feel your pain. I'm insured  I was insured with a well know insurer whose name begins with an A, ends in an A and has an X in the middle, and for the last two year have really screwed me over. Barn wall collapses in high winds, falling on our swimming pool, completely destroying it. Apparently, that was our fault for not maintaining the wall, even though we had capped it. Since then, we have been flooded with emails and letters from the bank arm of this company, saying that our account is in arrears. They have shoved up the cost of our policies so that the total outgoings exceeded what we were paying into the account by quite a margin  So, we changed all of our policies over to another company, and these consist of two cars, a caravan, our house and our health insurance. Total savings for a year amounted to just shy of 2.500 euros!! Boy! were we being ripped off.

Oh, and the irony of it is that we have received one of those emails from the previous insurer saying that they are sad to see us leave them, and would we complete a survey, stating why we left. I don't need to. All I have to say is.........YOU'RE RUBBISH!!

• Sad 2

Being in the middle of a huge remodel that's taking a lot longer than it should thanks to the kitchen cabinet maker.................AND...............not working on a model since probably March.  I mean I could work on one here and there, but really would like to just jump into it for days and days and not get interrupted with house remodel stuff.   Sigh!  So many nice builds as of late.  Sigh!

• Like 1

A while ago, I was waiting for a service agent to finish a phone call before discussing my requirements.  When she put the phone down she turned to another agent behind her and said "if it wasn't for these customers I could get on with my work".    She then turned to me and I said, "I can help you there by taking my custom elsewhere"  :nono:

Mike

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

Guy who bought the house next door and is now trying to rent it out, has left the house backyard lights on. One of them shines directly into my bedroom. Since we are all locked in our homes over this way, no one is visiting the house to turn them off and I'm on the verge of jumping the fence and turning off his power!

• Like 3

Nobody minds the silent majority. It's those who consider my wife and I to be sub-human targets for them to vent their anger at their own inadequacies that annoy me.  They pay an infinitely smaller proportion of my wages than they think they do - but even if they did contribute to our household income I still wouldn't tolerate them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

They pay an infinitely smaller proportion of my wages than they think they do

Working as i do for the Local Authority, i'm occasionally told by others that they 'pay my wages' I once pointed out to one nesbit who didn't work that i was actually paying towards their beer and fags! To which they responded by calling me a rude name for some reason! 😀

Regards,

Steve

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Alcohol. Not being a big drinker anymore,the odd pint here and there, glass of wine with lunch etc I was rudely reminded how drinking far more than my usual limit can be a bit unpleasant. A hedge crushing half hour walk home (it's only a ten minute walk sober) and a stinking hangover is a good way to show me not to do this very often.🤒

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

So further to the post about the car being hit and someone driving off, we've just had a phone call from a damned ambulance chaser checking to see if anyone had been injured in the accident! 

Absolutely furious about this - we told the insurance company that we were NOT in the car at the time the incident happened, and if we had been, we would know who hit us and where it occurred! As it is, we were not, we do not know when the car was hit, nor do we know where the incident happened. We do not have any details of the scum bag that hit us and then drove off. It is completely unethical to pass our details to a third party injury claims ambulance chaser! We will be making a formal complaint to the insurers later today about this.

We are currently insured via Debenhams Finance - avoid completely - they are a total rip off.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, treker_ed said:

So further to the post about the car being hit and someone driving off, we've just had a phone call from a damned ambulance chaser checking to see if anyone had been injured in the accident! 

Absolutely furious about this - we told the insurance company that we were NOT in the car at the time the incident happened, and if we had been, we would know who hit us and where it occurred! As it is, we were not, we do not know when the car was hit, nor do we know where the incident happened. We do not have any details of the scum bag that hit us and then drove off. It is completely unethical to pass our details to a third party injury claims ambulance chaser! We will be making a formal complaint to the insurers later today about this.

We are currently insured via Debenhams Finance - avoid completely - they are a total rip off.

It's possible the call could just be coincidental. I receive calls or texts every few weeks from ambulance chaser parasites, despite not having made an insurance claim of any description since 2008. 

Not specifically a grump, but it could so easily be.

I don't know if anyone else is watching "celebrity" masterchef, but on this week's programmes is someone who I might concede is a celebrity, Penny Lancaster, wife of one Rod Stewart.

I think it was Torode who asked her if Rod Stewart cooked, and she said in all seriousness, "No, when I met him he had a chef".

She explained that the chef did al the cooking for all meals Rod had in his homes.

What was possibly grump worthy was she said this without a hint of irony, or recognition that Rod (famous for being spectacularly mean with money), was paying out a fotune fr a chef to do all his meals. I wanted Torode or Wallace to ask if he did breakfast for Sir Rod, but I suspect that like me, they were too surprised to hear about the chef.

How the other half live, eh??

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Whofan said:

......that Rod (famous for being spectacularly mean with money), was paying out a fotune fr a chef to do all his meals. 

A Scotsman being tight with his money?! Surely not! 😂

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Whofan said:

Rod (famous for being spectacularly mean with money)

Well, he had to be with everything else in order to pay the chef, I'd guess :P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Well, he had to be with everything else in order to pay the chef, I'd guess :P

To be fair if I had his money and my cooking skills 🔥 I’d hire a chef too. Luckily Mrs T loves to cook and is very good at it. Getting guests to come for dinner is never a problem 

• Like 2

We are now being told by the insurance company that if we want to take our car to the Toyota garage to get it repaired (as it's not on their list of approved repairers....) we have to get a quote from Toyota (which we already have) and another Toyota approved garage in the area. This is the first time that they have mentioned anything about this in the 4 or 5 phone calls we have made to them to get the ball rolling to get the repairs made to the car. We have said to them all along that we want the car to go to Toyota due to the car being an Auris Hybrid, and not some run of the mill petrol or diesel engine car. 

We have one massive problem with that request. Apart from our Toyota Dealers, there are NO approved Toyota garages in the area we live, or surrounding areas. The next nearest is a good hours drive from where we are, and again that's a Toyota dealer! I firmly believe that the insurance company are doing their level best to force us into using their repair company - which we do not want to do, as we dont believe they did a good enough job when they fixed and replaced the catalytic convertor earlier in the year. If Toyota had done it, they would have fitted a catlock device as part of the replacement, which would seriously delay or possibly prevent any further theft of the convertor. The insurance company refused to fit one unless already fitted! And we asked for it to be fitted, but they still refused! This is why we want to have the repairs done by the Toyota dealers.

• Sad 1

@treker_ed

Might be an idea to have a word with Toyota UK, as the Auris is UK produced:- Toyota Motor Manufacturing (UK) Ltd. Burnaston, Derby, DE1 9TA. 01332 282121.

Might just put the insurance company on the back foot.................

• Like 1

17 hours ago, treker_ed said:

We are now being told by the insurance company that if we want to take our car to the Toyota garage to get it repaired (as it's not on their list of approved repairers....) we have to get a quote from Toyota (which we already have) and another Toyota approved garage in the area. This is the first time that they have mentioned anything about this in the 4 or 5 phone calls we have made to them to get the ball rolling to get the repairs made to the car. We have said to them all along that we want the car to go to Toyota due to the car being an Auris Hybrid, and not some run of the mill petrol or diesel engine car. 

We have one massive problem with that request. Apart from our Toyota Dealers, there are NO approved Toyota garages in the area we live, or surrounding areas. The next nearest is a good hours drive from where we are, and again that's a Toyota dealer! I firmly believe that the insurance company are doing their level best to force us into using their repair company - which we do not want to do, as we dont believe they did a good enough job when they fixed and replaced the catalytic convertor earlier in the year. If Toyota had done it, they would have fitted a catlock device as part of the replacement, which would seriously delay or possibly prevent any further theft of the convertor. The insurance company refused to fit one unless already fitted! And we asked for it to be fitted, but they still refused! This is why we want to have the repairs done by the Toyota dealers.

We've spoken to them again at lunch time only to be told something different again! Now being told that we only need one quote from the garage that we wish to use...... Looks like someone doesn't know what they were talking about last night. We already have a quote from Toyota that we have been sent as a PDF, so all we shall do is forward that to the insurers. I'm getting fed up with all the messing around we are getting. Will definitely NOT be renewing our insurance with these clowns!

@Vince1159 For complaints about insurance companies, we have to go through the Financial Ombudsman Service. However, it's a convoluted process, as you have to complain to the company first, get a decision, appeal it, get the decision, then go to the ombudsman (or so we have been told)! We have tried that before when we had an issue with the house and the NHBC. In the end, our buildings cover insurers had to take the NHBC & Taylor Wimpey to court to recover their costs as TW admitted the problem was their fault, but refused to do the repair as we were outside of the warranty on the new build, and the NHBC refused to to the repair as it was under their threshold for repair costs. In the end it cost our insurers over £2.5k to put right, despite the NHBC quoting under £1000 to repair. Hence why they took them to court to recover costs. 

(Forgot to mention that at the time, the NHBC stated that their threshold for repairs was £1500, so anything under this they would not carry out the repairs. The NHBC 10 yr warranty for new homes was/is not worth the paper it's printed on!)

Edited by treker_ed
Clarification of information
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mick4350 said:

Yahoo seems to be down as I am getting err_http2_protocol_error message each time I visit the bookmarked link on the PC.

It's working OK for me here in The Netherlands